Windows Bugcheck Restart

Haddock

Hi everyone,

I've seen a lot of posts about this issue, but have tried almost all solutions and feel like I'm at a dead end. I am hitting an issue where during gaming my monitors will turn off, my audio will continue for around ten seconds, and then my PC will restart. When looking at Event Viewer, I see the following error in system logs:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffff978dcb64f010, 0xfffff8057c9f3d00, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: d9acbbdd-5e65-4e20-8d59-c847f85f9708.

From here, I open the memory dump file in WinDbg, where it points to the following context:

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispig.inf_amd64_70cfb45e19c20af4\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2

This appears to point to my drivers, so I did a clean install of my Nvidia drivers - the issue persisted. I then attempted installing older stable drivers - the issue persisted.

I have recently upgraded my PC as I was having PSU issues, as well as cooling issues, I have confirmed that the PSU appears to be working correctly after replacing it with a new one, and temperatures are now below expected temps after I upgraded all my cooling.

Finally, I tried limiting FPS in my game to 120, I usually run at 144 with V-Sync to match my monitors, however even limiting the FPS the issue persists. As a last ditch before having to invest into more hardware I ran a memtest, with 4 passes no errors were found. 

I then proceeded to purchase new display port cables, my reasoning was (A) They were DP1.0, I knew there was 2.0 and while I didn't know how it would make a difference, hey maybe it would? And (B) I had made large changes to my PC recently, which involved a lot of plugging and unplugging - maybe I'd damaged the ports during this process? The new cables have been swapped in and the issue persists. Also as a note on the damaged port issue, when swapping the cables I tried using new GPU DP ports, unfortunately I only have 3 so I had to try using one in the unused, one in one of the used, then swapping in turn a cable to the other used one - in both cases the issue persisted.

I'm not seeing any weird artifacting or other clear GPU issues during the crashes, I have opened HWMonitor during the issue and voltages and temps seem perfectly fine. My next step would be to replace my monitors, but I'm currently not in a position to buy new ones - could there be anything I'm missing? The problem doesn't seem to be consistent to any particular action other than during gaming, and it is random when it happens - sometimes it can be after half an hour of play, sometimes after three hours. I don't believe that it happens out of game, but given the incosistency of the issue appearing, all I can say is that it has only happened during gaming, and hasn't happened browsing - but it may do.

Hopefully someone has an idea of whats going on/has experienced this before as I'm at my wits end.

EDIT: Extra context, I'm not sure if this provides more information but this was also in the memory dump:

VIDEO_TDR_CONTEXT: dt dxgkrnl!_TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT ffff978dcb64f010

Is the PCIe slot perhaps damaged? Can you move the card to another slot?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Is the PCIe slot perhaps damaged? Can you move the card to another slot?

Hi Radium, I'll give it a try - I'm also going to try turning off Intel XeSS in the game (I haven't seen anywhere XeSS causing this issue, but its new and worth a shot) and do some testing but it takes a while to trigger so can't get results straight away, I'll try both and report back

3 hours ago, Haddock said:

Hi Radium, I'll give it a try - I'm also going to try turning off Intel XeSS in the game (I haven't seen anywhere XeSS causing this issue, but its new and worth a shot) and do some testing but it takes a while to trigger so can't get results straight away, I'll try both and report back

The most frustrating crashes, are the ones you can't get on a regular basis. If it only happens under load, that says to me either bad hardware, or insufficient power.

If you are comfortable trying this: Try a LiveUSB of Linux Mint (it's very Windows-like) if it crashes, you have bad hardware as Linux is very intolerant of bad hardware. If it behaves, it's software

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 6:16 PM, Radium_Angel said:

The most frustrating crashes, are the ones you can't get on a regular basis. If it only happens under load, that says to me either bad hardware, or insufficient power.

If you are comfortable trying this: Try a LiveUSB of Linux Mint (it's very Windows-like) if it crashes, you have bad hardware as Linux is very intolerant of bad hardware. If it behaves, it's software

Hi Radium, apologies for the slow reply, has been a long debug proccess due to the irregularity of when it wants to occur, so as an update I have attempted the following, all to no avail:

• Install Linux on a live usb, I booted up and messed around on it for a while and no issues seemed to crop up - I'm unsure if I should have pushed it harder or if it would complain immediately regardless of load, but I didn't see the error occur.
  • Disabled Intel XeSS in game, this was a long shot and as expected didn't prevent the error from occuring.
  • Used DDU to remove drivers entirely then reinstalled, rather than just a clean Nvidia install.
  • Both re-seated GPU and also moved GPU to another PCIe slot.
  • Updated Bios.

I have also continued to monitor power and heat, and both seem reasonably within expectations. Also I should note this seems to be accompanied with a BSOD from others hitting this particular bugcheck, however in my case I just get the black screen then eventually a restart, I think it's reasonable to assume that the BSOD is actually happening but because the screen is black I'm not seeing it.

Currently I'm still holding out hope that it's not the GPU dying, as it's the most expensive part of the rig - performance isn't affected around or during the crash nor elsewhere when playing games either. Having said that, I have played a less demanding game this week for relatively long sessions and did not hit the issue. Just for informations sake, the game I'm playing at the moment that is hitting the crashes is 'Judgement' on Steam - the less demanding game being 'Terraria'. Unfortunately I'm not convinced its game specific and believe it's more because Judgement is more demanding, as I do not see anyone else specifically searching this issue for that game.

My next pass of debugging will probably cover the following steps, if there's anything else I can be trying given the new information, I'd appreciate it:

• Disable XMP - one thing I see cropping up adjacent to this issue when researching is overclocking, I don't really overclock my components but I'd do usually enable XMP, I'm doubtful this will be the cause but probably worth a try to see if it's the cause of the problems.
  • Replace PSU extension cables, as previously mentioned I've had some PSU woes over the past month, I'm wondering if possibly my PSU extension cables have been hit with some kind of issue - I doubt it as I presume they would either be dead or working, not some weird inbetween where it will randomly cause problems some arbitrary time during load.
  •  Complete fresh install of Windows 10 - I have seen someone else asking about this issue claim this was the fix for them, I'm skeptical it will work but again I'm just on last ditch efforts at this point.

Those are in order of likelihood to work from worst to best, in my head, and will probably be the order in which I attempt. If none of these work I think it will be a case of not playing anything too demanding until I can replace my monitors and GPU. 

5 minutes ago, Haddock said:

Disable XMP

I've seen XMP cause more issues than it solves....it doesn't hurt to bring everything back to stock in the BIOS and test and see what happens.

6 minutes ago, Haddock said:

Replace PSU extension cables

I have seen threads here where these were a problem. Not sure how they were a problem, but replacing them did solve the user's issues. All the same, I'd consider that an extreme long shot and before you replace them, (if possible) move your power supply out of the case and closer to the components and plug it in without the extension cables, and see what happens.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, Radium_Angel said:

I've seen XMP cause more issues than it solves....it doesn't hurt to bring everything back to stock in the BIOS and test and see what happens.

I have seen threads here where these were a problem. Not sure how they were a problem, but replacing them did solve the user's issues. All the same, I'd consider that an extreme long shot and before you replace them, (if possible) move your power supply out of the case and closer to the components and plug it in without the extension cables, and see what happens.

Okay, so new update, at this point given all I've tried I think my GPU is just on the way out - I was holding out hope that it wasn't due to the lack of performance degradation nor any artefacts but I think I have ruled out pretty much everything else. So since the last update I have attempted the following with the issue continuing for all:

• Tried without XMP.
  • Tried an sfc/scannow, did find issues that it fixed but didn't fix the TDR crash.
  • Disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome - I saw this possibly being an issue as I usually have Youtube on my second monitor.
  • Used direct PSU cables rather than with extensions.
  • Tried new extensions.
  • Fresh Windows install.
  • Disk error check.
  • Running the game on my second monitor in case my primary was defective.
  • OCCT GPU, Mem, VRAM test show no errors.
  • Swap in different PSU.

Weirdly, since the BIOS update despite no issues while updating it seems to have affected System Viewers logging where the dump file isn't creating, but given the symptoms being identical to the TDR error I'm presuming it's the same. I think at this point I'm sort of out of options and it surely must be the GPU dying, I really appreciate the time you took to help me Radium - I think its a case of holding off gaming until I can afford a new GPU, hopefully this post will give people encountering this issue some points of investigation at the very least, since I think I've tried most 😅

Need to get some kip but I will add a new reply here in the morning with a list of everything I tried for posterity. Again, thanks Radium!

Drivers do get corrupt but from what you say you reinstalled windows (possibly with bad drivers ? Betas).

1) Anything above 60hz, you setup drivers to Enhanced Sync (AMD), Fast Sync (nVidia), you disable V-Sync Everywhere in Every Game.

2) If your monitor is capable enable Freesync (AMD), G-Sync (nVidia), make sure it's on in the drivers.

3) If you have to cap FPS cap to the vertical refresh frequency on the max. side.

As for dump files, if you have pagefile off, that setting will give a constant event viewer error and will prevent dump file creation, I have mine off, no issues.

@Haddock Do you have a spare GPU to try? That would certainly help to rule out the culprit being the GPU. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Hi everyone, so I have another update.

On 11/26/2022 at 12:49 AM, Cyberat said:

Drivers do get corrupt but from what you say you reinstalled windows (possibly with bad drivers ? Betas).

1) Anything above 60hz, you setup drivers to Enhanced Sync (AMD), Fast Sync (nVidia), you disable V-Sync Everywhere in Every Game.

2) If your monitor is capable enable Freesync (AMD), G-Sync (nVidia), make sure it's on in the drivers.

3) If you have to cap FPS cap to the vertical refresh frequency on the max. side.

As for dump files, if you have pagefile off, that setting will give a constant event viewer error and will prevent dump file creation, I have mine off, no issues.

I tried this on your suggestion, I have two 144Hz monitors so I disabled all V-sync/FPS limits from in-game settings and swapped to fast sync from the control panel, unfortunately the issue persisted.

On 11/26/2022 at 12:56 AM, BlackManINC said:

@Haddock Do you have a spare GPU to try? That would certainly help to rule out the culprit being the GPU. 

At the moment, no I do not - I also tried to RMA but no dice there, Gigabyte handle warranty via vendor, but when I contacted Newegg I found the wonderful fact that they do not honour the warranty on international orders - that's on me I should've read the fine print when ordering. I don't know anyone who has a gaming PC to help me out.

I tried some extra stuff alongside the Fast Sync enable. So I increased the TDR delay to see if display would recover if given longer to sort itself out, unfortunately it did not but now I am getting a new error, prior to the shutdown and presumably the cause of the issue; maybe it couldn't be logged sufficiently with the shorter TDR delay?

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

So this gave me a new line of avenue to google - I found a few fixes people had found, however most people I could find were primarily having CTDs and not entire system crash and reset - tried these to no avail:

• Set prefer maximum performance power management mode in Nvidia control panel.
  • Enable debug mode to remove factory OC instability.
  • DDU'd then reinstalled far older driver (1 year old) than my previous attempt at an older driver.

I've since gone on to take a deeper look at the game itself, Judgement. The difference between it and the others games I tested was that it was far more demanding, I picked up Cyberpunk on sale since it's both a taxing game, and is DX12; a possible contributing factor I saw crop up with the new event viewer error I'm getting. I was able to play Cyberpunk for about an hour today, with no signs of a crash, but I'll have to play it a bit more extensively to confirm if the crash is in fact absent from it.

Given the positive initial results on Cyberpunk, I tried working out why I didn't see this issue initially when playing Judgement (and why it has gotten progressively worse), and why it would persist after it was wiped and redownloaded with the Windows reset - I thought maybe a corrupt save file (god knows how that would cause a full on PC crash, but worth a try) so I started a new game, but the issue still persisted. 

I couldn't find a wealth of information about Judgement crashing on Google, as I mentioned earlier - but looking at the steam forum posts for it, a lot of people do seem to be experiencing crashes with the game, but they all appear to be CTDs. 

I'm going to try playing more cyberpunk, maybe try some longer sessions when I can find the time and see if it will trigger the TDR restart - maybe if it runs smoothly I can pin it on Judgement, but the fact I'm not getting a CTD but a whole PC crash makes me pessimistic that I'll get out of this without having to buy some new hardware.

11 hours ago, Haddock said:

Hi everyone, so I have another update.

I tried this on your suggestion, I have two 144Hz monitors so I disabled all V-sync/FPS limits from in-game settings and swapped to fast sync from the control panel, unfortunately the issue persisted.

At the moment, no I do not - I also tried to RMA but no dice there, Gigabyte handle warranty via vendor, but when I contacted Newegg I found the wonderful fact that they do not honour the warranty on international orders - that's on me I should've read the fine print when ordering. I don't know anyone who has a gaming PC to help me out.

I tried some extra stuff alongside the Fast Sync enable. So I increased the TDR delay to see if display would recover if given longer to sort itself out, unfortunately it did not but now I am getting a new error, prior to the shutdown and presumably the cause of the issue; maybe it couldn't be logged sufficiently with the shorter TDR delay?

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

So this gave me a new line of avenue to google - I found a few fixes people had found, however most people I could find were primarily having CTDs and not entire system crash and reset - tried these to no avail:

• Set prefer maximum performance power management mode in Nvidia control panel.
  • Enable debug mode to remove factory OC instability.
  • DDU'd then reinstalled far older driver (1 year old) than my previous attempt at an older driver.

I've since gone on to take a deeper look at the game itself, Judgement. The difference between it and the others games I tested was that it was far more demanding, I picked up Cyberpunk on sale since it's both a taxing game, and is DX12; a possible contributing factor I saw crop up with the new event viewer error I'm getting. I was able to play Cyberpunk for about an hour today, with no signs of a crash, but I'll have to play it a bit more extensively to confirm if the crash is in fact absent from it.

Given the positive initial results on Cyberpunk, I tried working out why I didn't see this issue initially when playing Judgement (and why it has gotten progressively worse), and why it would persist after it was wiped and redownloaded with the Windows reset - I thought maybe a corrupt save file (god knows how that would cause a full on PC crash, but worth a try) so I started a new game, but the issue still persisted. 

I couldn't find a wealth of information about Judgement crashing on Google, as I mentioned earlier - but looking at the steam forum posts for it, a lot of people do seem to be experiencing crashes with the game, but they all appear to be CTDs. 

I'm going to try playing more cyberpunk, maybe try some longer sessions when I can find the time and see if it will trigger the TDR restart - maybe if it runs smoothly I can pin it on Judgement, but the fact I'm not getting a CTD but a whole PC crash makes me pessimistic that I'll get out of this without having to buy some new hardware.

🤔 Well, if Judgement is far more demanding than Cyberpunk for instance and you haven't had any issues with the latter, then have you tried simply lowering the graphics settings in the game? Are you gaming at 4K? What are your full system specs anyway? We should start there, if this is a full system crash. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 11/29/2022 at 6:01 AM, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Well, if Judgement is far more demanding than Cyberpunk for instance and you haven't had any issues with the latter, then have you tried simply lowering the graphics settings in the game? Are you gaming at 4K? What are your full system specs anyway? We should start there, if this is a full system crash. 

Sorry, I may have explained poorly, it ended up being a bit wordy 😅 Cyberpunk is more demanding than Judgement graphically, hence why I started to be suspicious of Judgement, since I would have presumed a more demanding game would also cause a crash if the hardware was failing. I've continued to play Cyberpunk and have yet to hit this particular crash.

While testing Judgement I did try disabling taxing settings, as well as limiting FPS (this is all at 1080p on a 3080) to no avail - I'm sort of leaning towards Judgement being the issue, I'm just trying to work out why at this point. I thought maybe a corrupted save, since it persisted over a re-install but playing a new game didn't help. There's a sequel that seems to be on the same engine, I'm toying with the idea of buying it on Steam, testing if the game engine just doesn't want to play nice with my PC, and refunding (the crash degraded to a point where it would almost certainly occur before the refund period). 

It's just the fact that I can't see anyone else hitting this full system crash on this particular game...It does seem to use Denuvo which I can see searching around has caused issues for others but they usually seem to be CTDs. 

Oh, please read more on Cyberpunk 2077, it is a crashy, unfinished game that remained crashy after all these updates. Tries to do too much with too many features.

More of an experiment than a game really. Do not measure your hardware by it.

But I always said, the "latest" is neither the best driver for gaming, nor the most stable, across all brands. Find the most stable.

I am not that familiar with Judgement, but you maybe right on that it is also a crashy game.

Okay everyone, so I have just found some interesting information - so I tried getting the sequel, and it experienced the same crashing (luckily within the refund period) as the original game. I then went on to try playing another series' game, but that uses the exact same engine - Yakuza 7. Now, I previously played through Yakuza 7 a couple of years ago on its release on this PC (around 70 hours) with no issues, however I did so via HDMI on my TV. After attempting to play it on my monitors it encounters the exact same issue as the other two games.

Following on from this, I found this reddit thread which while not having a whole lot of info seems to line up with what I'm experiencing. Looking at the comments it appears someone else only started experiencing the crashes when swapping from their TV to their Monitors. I wonder if the crashes will subside when I play on my TV instead of my monitors. If this does in fact turn out to be the case, I truly don't know what it is about this game engine that causes this behaviour, I think understanding an issue like that is a bit over my head, but hopefully it gives me a pathway to actually play the game as I'm a big fan of the series. Then if I continue to see no issues in other games I can (hopefully, possibly) breathe a sigh of relief that none of my hardware is on its way to the knacker's yard

I'll update here if playing on my TV prevents the issue, or if something else is wrong in my system and these circumstances lining up is just a coincidence.

2 hours ago, Haddock said:

I'll update here if playing on my TV prevents the issue

Isn't troubleshooting fun?

Thanks for keeping us up on what's going on!

Hi everyone, unfortunately the game also crashed my PC when connected via HDMI to my TV so another false lead - unsure what to really try next, will try doing some more research but I've exhausted a lot of google searches at this point. As always I'll try keeping updated here with what I attempt. Going to keep praying that the issue doesn't occur in other games otherwise it very well may be my hardware.

Bonus update, still no fix, back to not really knowing what to attempt going forward, but I did try something to a relatively interesting result. I ran DDU again, and installed the earliest supported drivers for my GPU, booted up an offending game and hit the same issue, exact same symptoms. But similarly to before, like when I increased the TDR display this produced some new information in event viewer.

The system logs no longer show the Nvidia driver failure, in fact they show no error at all other than the unexpected shutdown and failure to create memory dump. However, cross referencing the application logs I now see an error 3 seconds after event viewer says the unexpected shutdown occured:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x6be51595

I will say, I'm not certain this is the cause of the crash, as due to the TDR timeout I added I would expect this about a minute prior to the recorded shutdown time, but just adding it here as info. I think I've kind of exhausted options I can find on the internet, I'm at a point where I can't really find any more related issues on forums where I haven't tried all of the proposed fixes. I'll just have to carry on and keep my fingers crossed that this doesn't start to crop up in other games.

3 hours ago, Haddock said:

HDMI

Maybe the port/cable is at fault?

i mean on the other hand there are a lot of badly optimized games out there, and cyberpunk is surely one them, don't know about judgement, but wouldn't surprise me if thats less than stable too... im just saying this could be a factor too... its always a good idea to read some reviews on steam etc before buying a game... sometimes they'll also give you specific fixes etc...

maybe its your hardware,  but maybe it's just mostly the games you're playing... if a new gpu fixes it, that's not really fully conclusive either,  but at least it would be fixed. 

if these issues keep happening though you may have to look into the sort of games you're playing (also dev reputation etc, some are really notorious *ahem, not EA or anything for example* ...

ps: also with all these bug checks, it could also just be ram tbh... memory tests dont necessarily catch everything,  plus it could be a combination of things , doesn't necessarily mean the ram is faulty but from the errors

your getting it definitely sounds like some sort of memory / corruption to me (besides possible gpu, drivers or buggy games)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Maybe the port/cable is at fault?

This is just on the HDMI though - when on monitors I'm using DP for both - also I have just tried selecting 'best performance' in Visual Effects for control panel and that also didn't work. I've found some more fixes to try, probably don't need to say it now but I'll keep updated, at least maybe this becomes a to do list for people hitting similar issues 😅 I'm also concerned that maybe there's more than one issue going on and because I'm trying things one by one I never really get to the solution, especially considering the fact I'm getting varying event viewer errors.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

your getting it definitely sounds like some sort of memory / corruption to me (besides possible gpu, drivers or buggy games)

I can certainly try finding some new memory to try, I don't know anyone I can borrow from but I could try ordering from Amazon and return if it doesn't fix - I just feel a bit scummy doing that, do they actually sell returns or will it just be returned to manufacturer as faulty? I'd feel bad doing that.

44 minutes ago, Haddock said:

I can certainly try finding some new memory to try, I don't know anyone I can borrow from but I could try ordering from Amazon and return if it doesn't fix - I just feel a bit scummy doing that, do they actually sell returns or will it just be returned to manufacturer as faulty? I'd feel bad doing that.

Re-reading your posts, you mentioned no issues under Linux. I'd revisit that and play some free games under steam and see what happens. If no issues, then you have a software problem under Windows. Linux is rather unforgiving of bad hardware

The crash is a Timeout Delay Reset, originally, before the DWM.exe. Since you are running both a tv and a monitor, it's harder to determine.

But did you eliminate cable problems by purchasing HDMI 3.0 cables or better ?

This can also be caused by overloaded animations on desktop, it seems.

3 hours ago, Cyberat said:

But did you eliminate cable problems by purchasing HDMI 3.0 cables or better ?

I'm on HDMI 3.0, I've tested the cable with other devices too. 

Computer Specs. perhaps and did you disable the integrated GPU (if you have one) in Bios ?

This is something I haven't tried, I'm not using the video ports on the MOBO but I will try and check the BIOS settings and see if I can disable it.

As a more generalised update I have attempted a couple more things - first on the Denuvo front, I realised I had some other games with Denuvo and wanted to try them to see if maybe that was the cause, they didn't crash, so don't think it's Denuvos fault. Also, I tried adding a firewall exception and running an offending game as administrator and the issue persisted.

On a positive note, I asked on a local group and found someone who may be willing to lend me RAM to test my system with different memory, I'm hoping to pick it up tommorow (GMT) and will update here. I've tried taking a closer look at memory after it was zoned on here, and while I don't see any errors directly pointing to memory, I've noticed some weird behaviour where my memory usage will never go above 50%, I can have no game running, start up a game that should presumably be using a solid chunk of memory and usage stays at bang on 50%.

Current plan of attack is:

- Replace RAM with new sticks in current slots, if the local contact comes through.
- If that fails, try my current RAM + the lent RAM to see if maybe its a lack of RAM issue (I doubt this, as I currently have 16GB and recommended for offending games is 8GB, but maybe if crash takes noticeably longer to occur then a memory leak could be happening).
- Dual boot Linux rather than live USB and try some extended sessions on the OS to see if crashes occur.

One question I'd add here, is I think in terms of RAM being the issue the DWM error would be the most promising - should I be running on the drivers that caused the DWM error when trying out the new RAM?

Just want to add that I really appreciate the help everyone keeps coming back to offer, when I feel at a dead end I get new suggestions and a path forward, incredibly helpful.

Computer Specs.

- 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC
- i9-9900K
- 16GB Corsair DDR4
- Asus Prime Z290-A
- 500 GB NVMe SSD
- Windows 10, I can upgrade to 11 but haven't yet as wanted stability for debugging and as far as I can tell 10 is currently the more stable product. If I should try the upgrade I will do so.

RAM I'm hoping to borrow is the exact same model and size, so hopefully will be a clean way to debug.