CPU/MoBo Advice Pulling 3080ti out of virtualization box to build a dedicated gaming PC. Help me spend my money!

Budget (including currency): $2000USD max (already own 3080ti)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming, but I'm a tinkerer so I occasionally do video editing, audio mastering, coding, a little bit of everything, but I want them FPS.

Other details

Seeking advice from the community and/or LTT staff... I own a 3080 ti that's currently in my unraid machine being passed through to a VM... but shocker, I'm just tired of running a VM as my main machine, it's great in some aspects, but the little issues I'm constantly fighting has led to less gaming. I'm planning a build in the next few months, and I'm looking for advice on the CPU. I'm leaning towards a 5800x3d, but I'm really torn with the new CPU's that just dropped from red and blue. I'm running a 1440p Ultrawide at 120fps... I don't want to build in too much of a CPU bottleneck right out of the gate, but I also don't want to blow $2000 and have no upgrade path on the AM4... Sigh... I'm open to both intel and AMD. I'd like DDR5, but I don't like DDR5 pricing.

TLDR: I own a 3080ti and want to build a great bang for the buck system that's not bottlenecked at the CPU. Thanks in advance.

I think you can't go wrong with both intel or amd 

If you live near a microcenter they run promos on the new stuff regularly and I'm sure their team would help you out if you went in store.

I wouldn't go AM4 with as you said a dead end upgrade path so I would watch some videos on youtube and see what performance you get with your workflows/games (Between AM5 and Intel 13th gen) 

Side note: You may get more futureproofing with AM5 but no guarentees (From AMDs current track record)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 minute ago, Jryski said:

Budget (including currency): $2000USD max (already own 3080ti)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming, but I'm a tinkerer so I occasionally do video editing, audio mastering, coding, a little bit of everything, but I want them FPS.

Other details

Seeking advice from the community and/or LTT staff... I own a 3080 ti that's currently in my unraid machine being passed through to a VM... but shocker, I'm just tired of running a VM as my main machine, it's great in some aspects, but the little issues I'm constantly fighting has led to less gaming. I'm planning a build in the next few months, and I'm looking for advice on the CPU. I'm leaning towards a 5800x3d, but I'm really torn with the new CPU's that just dropped from red and blue. I'm running a 1440p Ultrawide at 120fps... I don't want to build in too much of a CPU bottleneck right out of the gate, but I also don't want to blow $2000 and have no upgrade path on the AM4... Sigh... I'm open to both intel and AMD. I'd like DDR5, but I don't like DDR5 pricing.

TLDR: I own a 3080ti and want to build a great bang for the buck system that's not bottlenecked at the CPU. Thanks in advance.

You gotta choose.
Old DDR4 and no upgrade path but low price, newer ddr5, overpriced but will last for a few gen.

Right now Ryzen 7000 looks a little less like a good value but that could change long term. Historically AMD supported AM4 for almost 6 years. Intel is not in the habit of supporting an architecture for half that long.

So you go go team blue and LGA 1700 with what could be a shorter lived socket but the best price to performance in a modern socket or Go AM5, quite steep ATM but with a Mobo /Ram that could last you for a few generation.

3rd choice is save a buck and go with AM4. You can probably get second hand Mobo and RAM (not a problem if you get quality) then you'll only have to splurge on a 5800X3D.

Considering you have the 3080Ti on hand, you can afford all 3.

Just get a good cooler and a well ventilated case if you get 13th gen or AM5.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

Upgrade path is a fantasy for most. While AMD kept AM4 around for a while, most of its new CPU generations introduced chipsets that more fully exploited the new parts. Personally I can't see wanting to put a brand new, expensive CPU into a 3 or 4 year old motherboard. 

As volumes increase DDR5 prices are quickly falling. Higher speed kits are becoming common making the benefits of DDR5 much more apparent.

We've now seen the flagship models of the latest CPU generations. Q1 2023 should see the introduction of the more pedestrian Intel, and if rumors prove accurate, AMD models. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.