Sketchy AF? Lian Li L-CONNECT 3 Fan Control Software -- High CPU Usage

Termater

Has anyone looked into their L-CONNECT 3 software and why it's constantly using so much CPU? Even after you close the program, and it's set to actually close and not minimize, you have to end the task in your Task Manager to actually stop it hogging CPU usage. On my R9 3900x it's usually about 7% - 10%, even when 'closed'.

I've also seen it constantly opening command prompts and pinging... something.. It's about once every 3 seconds that I see the command prompts in task manager and pinging as shown in my screenshot. Note that any RGB effects and Fan Curves do work just fine after the program is completely closed so I don't suspect the CPU usage to be due to any of that.

Is it just a terribly optimized software, or is there something more to it?

Task Manager Screenshot.jpg

i5-4690k @ 4.5ghz ---- Dual Gigabyte Gtx 780 OC Rev2.0's SLI ---- Noctua NH-D14 ---- Triple 1080p Surround

2 minutes ago, Termater said:

Has anyone looked into their L-CONNECT 3 software and why it's constantly using so much CPU? Even after you close the program, and it's set to actually close and not minimize, you have to end the task in your Task Manager to actually stop it hogging CPU usage. On my R9 3900x it's usually about 7% - 10%, even when 'closed'.

I've also seen it constantly opening command prompts and pinging... something.. It's about once every 3 seconds that I see the command prompts in task manager and pinging as shown in my screenshot. Note that any RGB effects and Fan Curves do work just fine after the program is completely closed so I don't suspect the CPU usage to be due to any of that.

That's why I absolutely HATE those fan rgb etc bloatwares...

I use SignalRGB and FanControl, compatible with all brands, small footprint, works nicely

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

That's why I absolutely HATE those fan rgb etc bloatwares...

I use SignalRGB and FanControl, compatible with all brands, small footprint, works nicely

I'd use Fan Control but I can't get it to detect/work with the Lian Li fans 😞

I wish SignalRGB worked with all of my RGB stuff but it has problems with my AIO and RAM

i5-4690k @ 4.5ghz ---- Dual Gigabyte Gtx 780 OC Rev2.0's SLI ---- Noctua NH-D14 ---- Triple 1080p Surround

25 minutes ago, Termater said:

I'd use Fan Control but I can't get it to detect/work with the Lian Li fans 😞

I wish SignalRGB worked with all of my RGB stuff but it has problems with my AIO and RAM

They may have proprietary connection to the hub but the hub ends up in the mobo fan headers, isn't it ?

Or are  they USB ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

20 hours ago, PDifolco said:

They may have proprietary connection to the hub but the hub ends up in the mobo fan headers, isn't it ?

Or are  they USB ?

usb and the fans are jst-sm for the argb

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Made an account just to say this, since this forum was the most recent result that popped up on my recent google search. This software is sketchy as hell. Even if you close it, it still uses ALOT of cpu resources for such a simple software. Even more interesting, my lighting effects continue to work perfectly fine if I manually kill the l-connect processes. So what is it doing in the background that requires so much cpu power???

On 11/12/2022 at 10:52 AM, YoungSensei said:

Made an account just to say this, since this forum was the most recent result that popped up on my recent google search. This software is sketchy as hell. Even if you close it, it still uses ALOT of cpu resources for such a simple software. Even more interesting, my lighting effects continue to work perfectly fine if I manually kill the l-connect processes. So what is it doing in the background that requires so much cpu power???

collecting data what els...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

15 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

collecting data what els...

Yeah I don't trust this shit at all, this usage is criminal. Wireshark might be able to sniff up anything suspicious if someone was interested into diving deeper.

lconnectsketchy.png

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 1:13 PM, Termater said:

Here you go. I came up with at least a partial fix for this. I think.. If Lian Li messses with it, I'm done buying their crap.. And I but alot of it.. Using 10% of my CPU at a very hig power rating is insane..
It's insulting..