Best 3D printer for beginner 500-1k USD?

Joduko

Lately my younger brother got an embroidery machine and has begun selling hats, shirts and Velcro patches on Etsy. I want to be able to show my creativity and contribute something too.

Of the content I have viewed regarding 3D printers I do know that I'm not looking to work with resin because the ventilation isn't ideal in the basement I plan on setting it up.

An example of some things I want to design are my own laptop pad, bookshelf end pieces and some merch figurines for some of the more obscure games I play

Prusia mk3 skip all the cheap creality stuff and all that if you want something that just works 95% of the time without hassle. The other 5% of thr time is doing prevenative maintenance or doing a filament unclog

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

Prusia mk3 skip all the cheap creality stuff and all that if you want something that just works 95% of the time without hassle. The other 5% of thr time is doing prevenative maintenance or doing a filament unclog

I will give this a look, thanks for the advice.

On 11/10/2022 at 7:07 AM, jaslion said:

After some browsing I'm actually looking at the CR 10 max. That prusa one looks beginner friendly, but that size is just way too small for some of the future projects I want to break into. Not buying it yet though because I need to consider where I will put it due to its large size.

46 minutes ago, Joduko said:

After some browsing I'm actually looking at the CR 10 max. That prusa one looks beginner friendly, but that size is just way too small for some of the future projects I want to break into. Not buying it yet though because I need to consider where I will put it due to its large size.

keep in mind these break A LOT and are A LOT of work to get going and keep going. Its a budget large printer for a reason. Friends have these and they all say these are a whole project on their own.

A prusia is what would be called a proffesional machine. Also they are launching a big version soon.

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

keep in mind these break A LOT and are A LOT of work to get going and keep going. Its a budget large printer for a reason. Friends have these and they all say these are a whole project on their own.

A prusia is what would be called a proffesional machine. Also they are launching a big version soon.

What makes it professional and lower mainanence?

7 hours ago, Joduko said:

What makes it professional and lower mainanence?

It is commonly uswd in large print farms as its designed with high quality components, ease of use and longevity in mind.

The ender is meanr as an introduction to 3d print and REQUIRES you to replace half the printer so it stays functional and reliable the momenr you start doing anything more than justba funny little print

I'd say either a Prusa or something like an Ender 3 or similar. I've been running a Creality CR-10S for years now and it's still going strong. Great printer, just a little less polish than say a Prusa, but prints well. I'd also trust a Prusa more when left unattended unless you make sure all the protections like thermal runaway protection are enabled in the firmware, which can sometimes not be the case (though keep the fire hazard in mind).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

It is commonly uswd in large print farms as its designed with high quality components, ease of use and longevity in mind.

The ender is meanr as an introduction to 3d print and REQUIRES you to replace half the printer so it stays functional and reliable the momenr you start doing anything more than justba funny little print

I am sold on Prusa then because I do actually want a machine to perform regular work...but choosing this would mean giving up on many of the types of larger items I wanted to produce because it's simply so small. Is there any information on this "big version" you said they will be making?

16 minutes ago, Joduko said:

I am sold on Prusa then because I do actually want a machine to perform regular work...but choosing this would mean giving up on many of the types of larger items I wanted to produce because it's simply so small. Is there any information on this "big version" you said they will be making?

Q1-Q2 2023. Its on their site. Near final production models exist.

Btw all thatbstuff you mentoined IS actively being printed on prusias. You just slice the model, have it have a interlocking infill and put some quick dry low temp epoxy or uv epoxy in the joints (VENTILATE WELL AND USE A RESPIRATOR). Even on printers that can print these fully they are often printed in parts as its far easier for removing supports, uses A TON LESS material, way easier cleanup and if something goes wrong the print isnt a full fail.

Depends. For around 1K you can get a used small ultimaker which will be fairly stress free. Also Fusion is free as CAD software for personal use. 

22 hours ago, jaslion said:

Q1-Q2 2023. Its on their site. Near final production models exist.

Btw all thatbstuff you mentoined IS actively being printed on prusias. You just slice the model, have it have a interlocking infill and put some quick dry low temp epoxy or uv epoxy in the joints (VENTILATE WELL AND USE A RESPIRATOR). Even on printers that can print these fully they are often printed in parts as its far easier for removing supports, uses A TON LESS material, way easier cleanup and if something goes wrong the print isnt a full fail.

I will get the kit version since I'm not pressed for time or anything and it will save a few hundred bucks. Do you recommend getting extra print beds? It gives multiple options like Satin and Textured, are those particularly useful for anything that I should know about?

20 minutes ago, Joduko said:

I will get the kit version since I'm not pressed for time or anything and it will save a few hundred bucks. Do you recommend getting extra print beds? It gives multiple options like Satin and Textured, are those particularly useful for anything that I should know about?

YES!!! Honestly theyll all do the same but an extra bed is handy as its one of the few wear items (scrathing prints off, dropping it, heatup and cool,...) an extr doesnt hurt. I got the texture and satin. Texture I use for big stuff that needs to be firm firm on there the satin for all else.

But honestly any works.