CPU temperature hits 80 to 90 degrees during bootup/idle in bios

Go to solution Solved by JamesHewitt,

If you've replaced the thermal paste, try a different cooler just to be safe.

Otherwise it could be a faulty CPU / Sensor.

If it is out of warranty, maybe de lid and use liquid metal inside? 

Hi, I'm having a what looks like common overheating issue. During boot up, there is an error of overheating at the post screen. I had to go into the bios and turn off cpu temperature monitor to ignore in order to boot to windows. when i downloaded 'open hardware monitor' to check on the temperature, it shows that my cpu core temperature #6 is having 90 degrees and above at constant value. I'm not sure how to explain the data but ill include a screenshot of it with my task manager. I've also applied new thermal paste. Both the 3 case fans and AIO radiator & fan are clean. I didn't overclock and have reset bios mostly to default. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows there is a way to fix this issue other than trying to reformat my pc.

My setup is at 4 years of age.

I'm using an i5-8600k processor.

Motherboard Asus Z370 prime

16gb ram running at 2133mhz 

My Coolermaster lite 120 AOI fan is working, pump should also still be working as I heard some liquid sound during initial startup. 

GPU still a few months old, borrowed from a friend as I don't have one. Using Gigabyte RTX 3050 8gb.

PSU 650W bronze (If i'm not mistaken)

image_2022-11-07_190817606.png

12 minutes ago, Jonathan Wong said:

Hi, I'm having a what looks like common overheating issue. During boot up, there is an error of overheating at the post screen. I had to go into the bios and turn off cpu temperature monitor to ignore in order to boot to windows. when i downloaded 'open hardware monitor' to check on the temperature, it shows that my cpu core temperature #6 is having 90 degrees and above at constant value. I'm not sure how to explain the data but ill include a screenshot of it with my task manager. I've also applied new thermal paste. Both the 3 case fans and AIO radiator & fan are clean. I didn't overclock and have reset bios mostly to default. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows there is a way to fix this issue other than trying to reformat my pc.

My setup is at 4 years of age.

I'm using an i5-8600k processor.

Motherboard Asus Z370 prime

16gb ram running at 2133mhz 

My Coolermaster lite 120 AOI fan is working, pump should also still be working as I heard some liquid sound during initial startup. 

GPU still a few months old, borrowed from a friend as I don't have one. Using Gigabyte RTX 3050 8gb.

PSU 650W bronze (If i'm not mistaken)

Replace thermal paste, should have lower temps. If you want any cooler temperature, you'll to delid the CPU/get a bigger cooler.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Replace thermal paste, should have lower temps. If you want any cooler temperature, you'll to delid the CPU/get a bigger cooler.

I've done that already. Before replacing thermal paste, it was at 80+ degree written in bios. After replacing still having the same issue and wouldn't let me boot to windows unless I turn off monitor cpu temp in bios. I haven't try to delid as I dont have the necessary tools and compound  but i guess i can send my rig to a local store to test since the common troubleshoot I have done already.

Just now, Jonathan Wong said:

I've done that already. Before replacing thermal paste, it was at 80+ degree written in bios. After replacing still having the same issue and wouldn't let me boot to windows unless I turn off monitor cpu temp in bios. I haven't try to delid as I dont have the necessary tools and compound  but i guess i can send my rig to a local store to test since the common troubleshoot I have done already.

Sounds like an issue with the cooler tbh. I would try replacing it. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

If you've replaced the thermal paste, try a different cooler just to be safe.

Otherwise it could be a faulty CPU / Sensor.

If it is out of warranty, maybe de lid and use liquid metal inside? 

Yea. I'll try to get another cooler to test. If issue persist, ill have to delid and replace with liquid metal since its out of warranty already. I believe it might be the cpu/sensor faulty since its only 1 temperature reading at 90 degree and the rest are normal. Thanks guys.

@Jonathan Wong

Do not look at the data coming from the Nuvoton chip. Look at the data coming directly from the CPU sensors.

image.png.1096bd8421f1b88a7f8a8351fcdb6be4.png 

This data shows that all of your cores are over 70°C while your computer is mostly idle. Fix your cooling problem. The heatsink needs to be reinstalled. What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it? Is your heatsink tight to the CPU or does it flop around?

Your data also shows that Intel Turbo Boost is disabled so your CPU is only running at its base frequency of 3.60 GHz. That is much slower than the speed your CPU should be running at.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126685/intel-core-i58600k-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

Use HWiNFO for monitoring. HWiNFO is the industry standard for a reason. It is updated more often than Open Hardware Monitor. 

20 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@Jonathan Wong

Do not look at the data coming from the Nuvoton chip. Look at the data coming directly from the CPU sensors.

image.png.1096bd8421f1b88a7f8a8351fcdb6be4.png 

This data shows that all of your cores are over 70°C while your computer is mostly idle. Fix your cooling problem. The heatsink needs to be reinstalled. What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it? Is your heatsink tight to the CPU or does it flop around?

Your data also shows that Intel Turbo Boost is disabled so your CPU is only running at its base frequency of 3.60 GHz. That is much slower than the speed your CPU should be running at.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126685/intel-core-i58600k-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

Use HWiNFO for monitoring. HWiNFO is the industry standard for a reason. It is updated more often than Open Hardware Monitor. 

That was very informative, thanks. I would definitely need to buy a new cooler to solve this. Currently I have reinstalled the heatsink with Arctic MX-4 thermal compound and applied 5 dots on the processor. On in the middle and 4 near each corners. My heatsink is also tightly clamped.

Should I enable turbo boost always or just when I wanna game/ using heavy software?

3 hours ago, Jonathan Wong said:

Should I enable turbo boost always

As long as your cooling is adequate, turbo boost should always be enabled. 

If your heatsink is tight and you used some thermal paste, which you did, then it is likely that your cooler is failing. Did you try using HWiNFO to confirm that your core temperatures really are all above 70°C when your computer is mostly idle? This is strongly suggesting that your cooler is defective and needs to be replaced. 

For comparison, I have a 10 core 20 thread 10850K with all cores running at 5000 MHz. When sitting at the desktop with only a handful of tabs open in Google Chrome, my cores are all under 30°C. 

image.png.d685f8457e0f499fadbe3c8c2d911cbe.png

On 11/9/2022 at 2:15 AM, unclewebb said:

As long as your cooling is adequate, turbo boost should always be enabled. 

If your heatsink is tight and you used some thermal paste, which you did, then it is likely that your cooler is failing. Did you try using HWiNFO to confirm that your core temperatures really are all above 70°C when your computer is mostly idle? This is strongly suggesting that your cooler is defective and needs to be replaced. 

For comparison, I have a 10 core 20 thread 10850K with all cores running at 5000 MHz. When sitting at the desktop with only a handful of tabs open in Google Chrome, my cores are all under 30°C. 

image.png.d685f8457e0f499fadbe3c8c2d911cbe.png

Gotcha. Yeah I used HWiNFO to double check. The Temp are above 85 degrees on idle mode. I found that theres and issue with my cooler AIO pump. I realize in BIOS I can see the AIO pump info as well and its not detecting my pump. I'm gonna have to replace my AIO. Thanks so much guys!