Does Waterblock manufacturer make a difference?

7 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

And I said I never used any of it or know about it. That isnt getting on your case. 

No it isn’t.  It was after that.  Your reply to my next post it looks like.  You taking me to task about partial blocks I think.  It may be that I took your statement that you didn’t deal with partial blocks to be that they were worthless and I was at fault for admitting their existence.  They are older.  They are less effective.  Once upon a time they were the only way it could be done though, and at that time other parts of the card didn’t really need cooling anyway. They are still sometimes useful though if a full coverage system of the type needed is not available.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:36 AM, lemij31400 said:

So i just ordered an Alphacool Block for 2x RTX A5000 i have plans to cool in my server, and just was wondering if the block manafacturer actually matters and if i should of ordered the EK-Pro ones instead?

*heres what i ordered*

block.png

yes, it matters

with any normal manufacturer you get screws that are not stripped but with EK, you might get stripped screws

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I think cheaper will be king again.  I have found I just have no use for a cpu bigger than a 12700.  I even undervolted and downclocked my 6800xt because even at 4k it was pushing more fps than I had use for.  I spent too much, and it’s not even a high end machine.

ya i agree i just got a 3090 ftw way over kill for me but i wanted the alphcool water block with wc back plate. $2000 is a lot of moeny thow... ya aaa games are dead to me and i dont care for 4k or 600 fps... the games i mostly play are mindcraft and atm star dew valley and diablo 2. probly will under volt too if i find a way to do it🤔 i could under volt the cpu as well but i think that in the bios right? 

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I'd take Alphacool over EK any day. My XTC smelled galvanize to no end, and they're all a bunch of modern day hippies. They laid off a bunch of workers, their barbs cost in the 100's. They're a crazy horse cooling company, not a proper water cooling company in my book. Proper ones are names like Aquacomputer, Heatkiller, etc.

people dont really test blocks and things anymore because aios kinda took over part of the market and then custem water cooling whent up in price like 2x+ the price. its a nesh thing. if there is some one that dose test im not aware of them. back then people made a living testing and posting reverws of these things but now its all about looks and cost i guess ad all of them are probably with in a close 5c or lower so it was not worth arguing about witch was 1c better. same gos for rads, rad fans, push, push pull, and how thick the rad is. another thing happend when that talk was about how fast of flow rate you could faster the flow lower the temp. people 13v there pumps, just to get a bit more faster at a cost of how long it lasted. it was common for people to have 2 or more pumps hooked up too . that was around the x58 days to say x99ish days after that custom wc was too much and was not needed (unless you had a 7700k...) and aio was gooed enuff or 1 360mm rad was good enough.

then the raystrom cpu water block came out and had this thing called a jet plate were it foraced the water down and out the micro fins and this was the best block on the market(i no had it) it was $100. but you could not get hi flow rate with it as its a bottle neck so then people stoped with flow rate i guess. i think swifteck tryed making a block that diverted flow i guess but didnt really take off.

another thing was ther tools that tested the parts was found to be not as accrete  as they hope witch shelved the testing. even gn has stopped testing things as he too siad his testing was not good enough.

the cost vs profromace for a thicker rad and push pull fans gets beat by spending it on another rad with cheap fans. cheap fans works good on thin rads so that why "30mm" is the common rad thickness. unless you run out of space then of cores bigger rad then.

1.png

DSC_0066.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i agree i just got a 3090 ftw way over kill for me but i wanted the alphcool water block with wc back plate. $2000 is a lot of moeny thow... ya aaa games are dead to me and i dont care for 4k or 600 fps... the games i mostly play are mindcraft and atm star dew valley and diablo 2. probly will under volt too if i find a way to do it🤔 i could under volt the cpu as well but i think that in the bios right? 

No idea.  I’ve got a b series board which I recently learned has no external clock, and a non k chip. Any intel overclock knowledge I have is long out of date, and I never had much of anything in the ways of AMD stuff other than what I read here.  It did used to be in the bios, long ago, and that is how you do a b series board that does have an external clock.  I thought I was buying one.  I was wrong. Read the wrong article.  You can use an external clock to overclock a chip with a locked multiplier anyway though the method is totally different.  My dgpu has an app that runs in windows though so I got no clue these days.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

people dont really test blocks and things anymore because aios kinda took over part of the market and then custem water cooling whent up in price like 2x+ the price. its a nesh thing. if there is some one that dose test im not aware of them. back then people made a living testing and posting reverws of these things but now its all about looks and cost i guess ad all of them are probably with in a close 5c or lower so it was not worth arguing about witch was 1c better. same gos for rads, rad fans, push, push pull, and how thick the rad is. another thing happend when that talk was about how fast of flow rate you could faster the flow lower the temp. people 13v there pumps, just to get a bit more faster at a cost of how long it lasted. it was common for people to have 2 or more pumps hooked up too . that was around the x58 days to say x99ish days after that custom wc was too much and was not needed (unless you had a 7700k...) and aio was gooed enuff or 1 360mm rad was good enough.

then the raystrom cpu water block came out and had this thing called a jet plate were it foraced the water down and out the micro fins and this was the best block on the market(i no had it) it was $100. but you could not get hi flow rate with it as its a bottle neck so then people stoped with flow rate i guess. i think swifteck tryed making a block that diverted flow i guess but didnt really take off.

another thing was ther tools that tested the parts was found to be not as accrete  as they hope witch shelved the testing. even gn has stopped testing things as he too siad his testing was not good enough.

the cost vs profromace for a thicker rad and push pull fans gets beat by spending it on another rad with cheap fans. cheap fans works good on thin rads so that why "30mm" is the common rad thickness. unless you run out of space then of cores bigger rad then.

1.png

DSC_0066.jpg

The issue I found is modern computers just have more performance than they need.  I thought I could overclock a non k chip on 660 because of this thing I read so I bought a gigantic dual fan air cooler for it so powerful it doesn’t even really need a single fan to keep a locked 8 core cool for all of $40. That was a wacky one.  Half what I was planning to spend. Then I discovered I didn’t need it.  I bought a 6800xt so big it wouldn’t come even close to fitting in my old case, and a PSU half again the size of anything I’d bought before to power it, and found I could undervolt and underclock it to near silence and still do high refresh 4k gaming.  I don’t need to push my machine as fast as it can be made to go.  I don’t even need to push it as far as it was designed to go.  So I got an effectively fanless cooler that makes zero noise on a chip that hits maybe 10% load at full bore gaming and a dGPU so quiet my fridge is louder but still does all the gaming I have any use for.  Super resolution did a lot.  It’s a mehish mid grade machine too.  The gpu thing may change.  I don’t own cyberpunk. I suspect that will have it screaming for mo’ powah, but I can’t see a difference between 100 and 144 fps, so 100 is fine for me. At least for the moment.

Edited by Bombastinator

3 hours ago, Motifator said:

I'd take Alphacool over EK any day. My XTC smelled galvanize to no end, and they're all a bunch of modern day hippies. They laid off a bunch of workers, their barbs cost in the 100's. They're a crazy horse cooling company, not a proper water cooling company in my book. Proper ones are names like Aquacomputer, Heatkiller, etc.

Idk, their products are quite nice. Especially their 3090 fe block and active back plate. Alpha’s doesn’t come close in that regard. Goes well with mono blocks. I’ve liked some of heat killers stuff but don’t think they got around to fe boards. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz