My all linux challange

Right around the time Linus and Luke decided to take on the Linux challenge i decided to follow along with them by installing Linux on my computer and try to do the challenge as well and ultimately changed back to windows. I had a lot of problems one being my laptop uses a special gpu where it is a 1650 max q and it said it found the right drivers but never used the GPU and only ran the integrated graphics. I struggled for a while in the terminal and never found out the problem and that was the straw that broke the camels back.

My distro was Zorin os and i got to say i loved it. The OS gave a windows feel that was recognizable and was much better then the previous time i tried Linux which were Ubuntu and Kali Linux.

My final thoughts on Linux

Pros:

Great focus on privacy

Open source community means you will receive a lot of helpful advice

Linux is very responsive especially for older computers

Cons:

Some of the community is toxic and sometimes has a pompous attitude over new users

Hard for new users

While the community is making great progress on Linux gaming still poses a problem

Overall Ubuntu is your best choice for community assistance, followed by Mint, with another great community. And if you can't find help there it is sprung from Ubuntu. There are also some others, but these two are among the best for community support.

They're also extremely easy to use, as are most.

If the users want to stay close to the Windows environment, Kubuntu. This is a flavor of Ubuntu with the KDE desktop environment, it's available from the Ubuntu website.

If you want a minimalist desktop, Ubuntu with XFCE, a very light desktop environment.

The most privacy conscious distro is Kodachi which comes with XFCE as the default desktop, but it's not the most newbie friendly.

Another one is QubesOS, but there may be hardware issues.

For gaming  Drauger OS or POP! OS, both Ubuntu based.

If the users want to stay Mac-like Ubuntu with the Budgie desktop.

All of these choices relate only to their base installation. Any distribution can be "hardened"  by either setting changes or through additional software.

And the nice thing is that the Ubuntu community probably already answered your question.

The Arch community is excellent for searching  for answers but is way to quick to RTFM questions deemed below their overinflated exalted selves.

25 minutes ago, woodlandgamer said:

Pros:

Great focus on privacy

Open source community means you will receive a lot of helpful advice

Linux is very responsive especially for older computers

Cons:

Some of the community is toxic and sometimes has a pompous attitude over new users

Hard for new users

Community, which community? The Mint community is helpful and friendly.

Hard for new users? Have you talked to the 40+ users I know?

If a user has any problem with Linux Mint they definitely will have problems with Windows.

Oldest laptop I've had dealings with? A 2008 HP and a 2009 eMachines.

23 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Community, which community? The Mint community is helpful and friendly.

Hard for new users? Have you talked to the 40+ users I know?

If a user has any problem with Linux Mint they definitely will have problems with Windows.

Oldest laptop I've had dealings with? A 2008 HP and a 2009 eMachines.

I'm sorry that you misconstrued what I  said,

Ubuntu being an older distribution with its older community support, TIMEWISE, will already probably have already answered the questions specially in regards to older hardware and with a little research first questioners , which unfortunately I find too many unwilling to do so will already find their queries answered.

The Mint community, quite honestly is not one that I get involved with much, but as you said they are very active and helpful.

Oldest one I had dealings with was Linux on an Amiga 2000

Edited by Thomas4
Korwreckted Speling errors

2 hours ago, Thomas4 said:

I'm sorry that you misconstrued what I  said,

I've heard they, Ubuntu, aren't as friendly as the Mint one.

2 hours ago, Thomas4 said:

Oldest one I had dealings with was Linux on an Amiga 2000

You are "pushing" it. That is old and how did it go?

Here I'm thinking of upgrading our old 2009 Acer eMachines to Mint 20.3 from 32 bit 18.2 MATE. Yes, that is a 64 bit laptop though it originally came with 32 XP. It has now got 2GB of RAM and an SSD and yes, I did run it on Mint Cinnamon 21 a month ago to check it.

Yes, it was pushing it and if I remember, it really wasn't that much more work than a couple of command changes or so.

OK, I just took a quick look on Amiga.org and the instructions are still there, if anyone is interested. BUT BE AWARE some of the files necessary may not be available as the links listed are from 2006.