PC restarts after a while and is stuck in restart loop afterwards

Tomwe

Hi 🙂

First of all my system specs:

300 Watt PSU

Intel Core i7 4790

Nvidia 1050Ti

8GB 1600 RAM

Acer Noname Mainboard (Bios Version P11.B4)

Windows 10 Home 19044.1586 (64Bit)

And now my problem: As you can probably tell, I am currently working on a pretty old Acer Prebuild PC. The name of the PC is "Acer Aspire TC-705". This PC was later upgraded with a 1050Ti but nothing else was changed.

I gifted the PC to a friend 1 year ago but since a few weeks the PC randomly shuts down after running for a little while. Afterwards it keeps rebooting. When this happens I turn off the PC and wait for a few minutes which fixes the problem for some time.

First of all I removed the GPU for all further tests. After that I added another case fan. Since this did not really improve the situation I changed the stock cooler for an old Pure Rock 2 (with fresh thermal grease) I had lying around. Since then the situation seems better. The system can now survive a CPU Z stress test for 20 minutes until the problem occurs. The temps of the CPU are at 75°C at that point. This really seems odd since I see improvement but still no fix even though temps are absolutely fine. To be sure I ran 2 hours of memtest86 and also swapped the PSU for a completely new Marblebron 750 Watt. Memtest did not show any errors and the PSU swap did not change the situation.

At this point I am thinking some sensors might be broken and report wrong temps which leads to the restart. 

Checking HWmonitor shows TMPIN6 at 120-122°C. Since startup which is also kind of weird.

Another interesting thing is that running Prime95 with Small FFTs instantly causes the restarts. And I really mean instantly. It takes less than a second.

TMPIN6 could be a nonexistant sensor that HWmonitor gives a random tempature value, if the tempature isn't changing that should be the case

Also you noted that you had i7 4790 + Nvidia 1050Ti

according to whatpsu.com recomended PSU is at least 400W:

image.thumb.png.3baadaa7465179c0582e47f516463110.png

Could that give problems @ZetZet ?

If it's not a PSU problem then I don't know what the restarts are caused by..

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

7 minutes ago, podkall said:

If it's not a PSU problem then I don't know what the restarts are caused by..

He swapped the PSU already

Reseat the CPU, reseat the RAM. 

Could also be a motherboard VRM issue, those OEM mobos aren't particularly known for overbuilding their power delivery. Try pointing a fan, if you have one, directly at the VRM area and see if that helps stability. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Thanks for your quick response 🙂

Regarding the 122°C I also thought it would just be a placeholder. But the number is changing which seems odd. It it fluctuating between 119°C and 120°C with max values at 122°C

The 400 Watt minimum is interesting but like I said I already swapped the PSU with a 750 Watt unit. So that should not be a problem.

2 minutes ago, Tomwe said:

Regarding the 122°C I also thought it would just be a placeholder. But the number is changing which seems odd. It it fluctuating between 119°C and 120°C with max values at 122°C

TMPIN is the VRM temperature, they could definitely be the reason why the PC shuts down. Also 100C is pretty normal for a budget board with no VRM cooling, 120C is on the high side though.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

4 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

He swapped the PSU already

Reseat the CPU, reseat the RAM. 

Could also be a motherboard VRM issue, those OEM mobos aren't particularly known for overbuilding their power delivery. Try pointing a fan, if you have one, directly at the VRM area and see if that helps stability. 

Ok thats helpful. I already tried RAM.

Will try the rest now. Thanks

Ok so I tried cooling the VRM with a seperate fan. I also removed the motherboard from the case, so I could reach the exact position with my fan.

After cooling for 3 minutes I saw no change at all in the temperature. To see if the fan was strong enough I directed it to the PCH which resulted in a 3-4°C drop within 10 seconds. Also I touched parts of the VRM to check the temperature and it was warm but definitely not hot. I could've left my finger there forever without burning it. So 122°C seems unrealistic.

I would love to try disabling the BIOS setting which causes those restarts just to see if the PC survives 😄

Is there any other possibility I could check?

Little update:

I disabled the following two options in the BIOS:

- System Temperature Shutdown

- CPU Temperature Shutdown

Still Prime95 instantly causes a reboot.