How to find a good raid card?

Hello, 

I have a question on how to find a perfect Raid Card for my operations. My server that i'm currently looking to build has a PCIE x8 3.0 interface. From what I can assume with Raid Cards, the two things I should be looking for is high cache value and PCIE Bandwidth. 

So far, I researched a PCIE x8 3.0 Connection at 8GB a second, while drives like SATA and SAS are usually 12 to 6Gbit a second. I'm going to use an external SAS Raid card so I can utilize DAS interfaces for a total of 80 Drives being daisychained together via the SAS Connection. So theoretically I wouldn't the Raid Controller wouldn't be a bottleneck since im choosing a speedier interface than PCIE 2.0 and SATA drives cannot realistically meet that 6Gbit per drive, rather than multiple drives. 

Atleast in my head this makes sense. ^

If my question isn't clear in short: What would be the bottleneck the RoC (Raid Controller), Drives, PciE Interface?

My Raid Card i'm looking at is (https://a.co/d/i7dA0sF)

Thank you

4 minutes ago, ZachTheDoggo said:

Hello, 

I have a question on how to find a perfect Raid Card for my operations. My server that i'm currently looking to build has a PCIE x8 3.0 interface. From what I can assume with Raid Cards, the two things I should be looking for is high cache value and PCIE Bandwidth. 

So far, I researched a PCIE x8 3.0 Connection at 8GB a second, while drives like SATA and SAS are usually 12 to 6Gbit a second. I'm going to use an external SAS Raid card so I can utilize DAS interfaces for a total of 80 Drives being daisychained together via the SAS Connection. So theoretically I wouldn't the Raid Controller wouldn't be a bottleneck since im choosing a speedier interface than PCIE 2.0 and SATA drives cannot realistically meet that 6Gbit per drive, rather than multiple drives. 

Atleast in my head this makes sense. ^

If my question isn't clear in short: What would be the bottleneck the RoC (Raid Controller), Drives, PciE Interface?

My Raid Card i'm looking at is (https://a.co/d/i7dA0sF)

Thank you

Unless you are running a very low power or very old CPU, run software raid. RAID cards have not made sense for a little bit now, they didn't really innovate and so software raid overtook them.