switch with failover

obiwanconobi

Hi everyone

I work from home and after a few days with no internet I'm looking to get a 5G back up hub so I don't have to go through that again

However, 5G in my area is better than my fibre to the cabinet internet (200mbps compared to 60)

But because 5G may not be the most reliable I am wanting a switch that everything can connect to (PCs, TVs, APs etc) and can have 2 WAN inputs that I can switch between depending on my mood (which is working better)

Is this even possible?

Thanks for any help!

1 hour ago, obiwanconobi said:

wanting a switch that everything can connect to (PCs, TVs, APs etc) and can have 2 WAN inputs that I can switch between depending on my mood (which is working better)

Switch or router?

There are many dual-WAN routers on Amazon with failover capability.

The edgerouter series from ubiquiti has failover capabilities I believe. The Edgerouter 4 has 4 interfaces, though one of them is SFP.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

PfSense will do what you want you can build your own box or buy a netgate box.

19 hours ago, obiwanconobi said:

But because 5G may not be the most reliable I am wanting a switch that everything can connect to (PCs, TVs, APs etc) and can have 2 WAN inputs that I can switch between depending on my mood (which is working better)

I've been there, except it was my cable internet that wasn't reliable and I wanted 5G as a backup. My network diagram is here. It's not ideal because there's a double NAT with cable ISP, and triple NAT with 5G, but it works and it doesnt bottleneck my 400mbps cable internet connection, and I have it checking my cable connection every 7 seconds.

The 2 choices I researched was a TP Link dual WAN router, and an Ubiquiti Edge Router. Some reviews of the TP Link said that failover took 45 seconds, which sucks if I'm streaming video (receiving or sending).

Then with Ubiquiti, they had a few different cheaper edge router models, I researched on YouTube and their official help guides that their web interface (for any model) has a wizard for initial config of multi-WAN with failover, and plenty of config elements for tweaking it. Its not for networking noobs, as it even pushed me with moderate networking knowledge to learn more, but its way easier then having to configure everything by command line or needing to setup scripts. So I got the ER-X because it can handle ~900mbps, I don't see myself needing internet speeds any faster than that anytime soon, and I only connect it to the 2 WANs and my main AP + Router.

The main factors in shopping for a multi-WAN router is:

• Throughput - Does it handle as many mbps as you currently need? Might you want more in the future?
  • QoS - Do you need traffic prioritized? Depending on how, throughput may be slower. ER-X throughput (and perhaps other multi WAN routers) is only ~200mbps when enabling smart queue QoS. Manual QoS may not be subject to the same limits. Maybe you have other devices on your network like switches that handle QoS, or maybe you don't notice issues without QoS, and so it doesn't matter to you.
  • Features - What do you need this multi WAN router to do? Does it need to also BE an access point, or can it just be a router? There could be other needs you would have too that you want to make sure the router will do.
Edited by NobleGamer
Added to main factors

The cheaper Edge Routers are solid products. They require a bit more network savvy than tropical home routers, but they are a lot of bang per buck