New build with an RTX 3080 - constant spikes/stuttering/clock drops with any game

mattcaves

Hey wonderful people! if anyone with experience would be able to help me pin down the problem with my new rig I'd very greatly appreciate it, I haven't been able to work this week馃槥

this problem doesn't occur with a capped framerate but I'm doing some real-time graphics work and I often need to keep things running at max when testing.

Basically when running any 3d application with an uncapped framerate I'm getting huge spikes, a stable 170 frames would go down to 15 for a few seconds, and this happens every 8 seconds or so. GPU-Z stats are telling me that all temperatures are fine, and the PerfCap was triggered by VRel Vop, or not enough voltage.

Here are some threads with the same issue that weren't resolved:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...d-games-stutter-then-come-back-again.3753122/
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/rtx-3090-unstable-performance.286810/page-2
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1437891-rtx3070-fps-drops-and-stuttering/

Things I've tried

• Swapped out GPU for a different model
  • Upgraded Power supply to 850W gold
  • updating bios/windows/drivers
  • changed pcie to gen 3 in bios
  • undervolting GPU

Specs

• MSI Ventus3x RTX 3080 10GB
  • Ryzen 9 5900X
  • 32GB ddr4
  • Biostar b550mh mobo
  • 2tb m.2 gen 4 ssd

What I might look into

• downgrading to a weaker GPU (not preferable)
  • swapping out other parts, in case there's some sort of bottleneck
  • other bios tweaks

Any help or consideration is very much appreciated!馃檹

unknown.png

Whats the CPU doing? is it throttling?

The B550MH is pretty weak and has no VRM cooling... Its possible its just overheating and throttling the CPU right back.

Graph CPU clock speeds and see whats going on

45 minutes ago, mattcaves said:

Hey wonderful people! if anyone with experience would be able to help me pin down the problem with my new rig I'd very greatly appreciate it, I haven't been able to work this week馃槥

this problem doesn't occur with a capped framerate but I'm doing some real-time graphics work and I often need to keep things running at max when testing.

Basically when running any 3d application with an uncapped framerate I'm getting huge spikes, a stable 170 frames would go down to 15 for a few seconds, and this happens every 8 seconds or so. GPU-Z stats are telling me that all temperatures are fine, and the PerfCap was triggered by VRel Vop, or not enough voltage.

Here are some threads with the same issue that weren't resolved:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...d-games-stutter-then-come-back-again.3753122/
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/rtx-3090-unstable-performance.286810/page-2
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1437891-rtx3070-fps-drops-and-stuttering/

Things I've tried

• Swapped out GPU for a different model
  • Upgraded Power supply to 850W gold
  • updating bios/windows/drivers
  • changed pcie to gen 3 in bios
  • undervolting GPU

Specs

• MSI Ventus3x RTX 3080 10GB
  • Ryzen 9 5900X
  • 32GB ddr4
  • Biostar b550mh mobo
  • 2tb m.2 gen 4 ssd

What I might look into

• downgrading to a weaker GPU (not preferable)
  • swapping out other parts, in case there's some sort of bottleneck
  • other bios tweaks

Any help or consideration is very much appreciated!馃檹

unknown.png

Whoa a big red flag just surprised me a bit why is the ram at 94 degrees? I think it shouldn't go above 50 idle and under load 84-86 I think it might be throttling. Have you tried swapping ram?

3 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

Whoa a big red flag just surprised me a bit why is the ram at 94 degrees? I think it shouldn't go above 50 idle and under load 84-86 I think it might be throttling. Have you tried swapping ram?

VRAM temp, and it's normal in the 90s. Even Nvidia says 110c is acceptable, even though I dont agree.聽

PC Setup:

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals:

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

R脴DE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup:聽

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit +聽Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

1 hour ago, mattcaves said:

Biostar b550mh mobo

Yea i think this is the culprit, you dont pair a 5900x and a lowend board with vrms made for at most a 5700x

Buy any half decent b550 like the b550m aorus pro p or b550 a pro, basically any b550 <120$ with decent vrms

25 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

Whats the CPU doing? is it throttling?

The B550MH is pretty weak and has no VRM cooling... Its possible its just overheating and throttling the CPU right back.

Graph CPU clock speeds and see whats going on

Yeah I just checked with cpu and turns out it's dropping really low as well. I don't know much about motherboard models so that would make a lot of sense

And yeah I've been told that's standard ram temp

Thanks all for the responses!
hwinfo stats during a spike:
image.thumb.png.9d483881ef02b9ee28b79e0b58005653.png

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Yea i think this is the culprit, you dont pair a 5900x and a lowend board with vrms made for at most a 5700x

Buy any half decent b550 like the b550m aorus pro p or b550 a pro, basically any b550 <120$ with decent vrms

Thanks for the reccs, just went though another fresh win11 installation without any luck, decided i'll go ahead with that motherboard replacement and report back. fingers crossed 馃

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, we cracked it! It was the motherboard. Got an asus tuf b550m plus and I can finally get back to work doing graphics tests.
The new asus is far better for cable management and for fitting extra things in pcie slots too.

for those scrolling through, If you're getting a ridiculously powerful gpu then don't skimp out on a motherboard, lesson learned 馃檭