Framerate drops after a while playing games

Melker1246

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. Created an account here just for this issue. 

Basically, after about an hour or hour and a half playing basically any demanding game, my average fps drops a whole lot. This has been happening lately in games like Spider-Man Remastered and PC Building Simulator 2 (since that's what I have been playing recently) but happens in about half of the games I play. All drivers are up to date, temperatures are a tad bit high but not at all in throttling territory, and I have been checking for background tasks but haven't found any that could be causing the problem. 

Here's my specs:

Motherboard: Aorus B550i pro ax

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (overclocked to 4.7 GHz)

GPU: RTX 3070 Aorus Master

RAM: 2x16GB XPG Spectrix D50, 3200MHz CL 16

Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 (build 19044.2130)

Hopefully someone can help me with this, I've searched all over the internet and have found no solutions whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Melker1246 said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. Created an account here just for this issue. 

Basically, after about an hour or hour and a half playing basically any demanding game, my average fps drops a whole lot. This has been happening lately in games like Spider-Man Remastered and PC Building Simulator 2 (since that's what I have been playing recently) but happens in about half of the games I play. All drivers are up to date, temperatures are a tad bit high but not at all in throttling territory, and I have been checking for background tasks but haven't found any that could be causing the problem. 

Here's my specs:

Motherboard: Aorus B550i pro ax

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (overclocked to 4.7 GHz)

GPU: RTX 3070 Aorus Master

RAM: 2x16GB XPG Spectrix D50, 3200MHz CL 16

Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 (build 19044.2130)

Hopefully someone can help me with this, I've searched all over the internet and have found no solutions whatsoever. 

Another person was also noting frame drops on spiderman remastered earlier, beginning to think it's a problem with the game.

If you have more than one monitor try running HW Monitor while you play to see if your clock speeds drop or if you are running in to limits.

8 hours ago, Paddo said:

If you have more than one monitor try running HW Monitor while you play to see if your clock speeds drop or if you are running in to limits.

I have and I do, was the first thing I checked. CPU clocks don't drop at all, CPU temp always stays within 80º. GPU temps also max out at about 77º. GPU clock speeds also stay the same, what usually drops is the GPU power draw, from an average of about 250-280W all the way down to 170-200W. My PSU is 750W and my GPU cables aren't daisy chained.

My guess is your hardware is thermal throttling 🤔 have you thought about undervolting and taking advantage of the feature suite for the 5800x? Like PBO2

9 minutes ago, Melker1246 said:

I have and I do, was the first thing I checked. CPU clocks don't drop at all, CPU temp always stays within 80º. GPU temps also max out at about 77º. GPU clock speeds also stay the same, what usually drops is the GPU power draw, from an average of about 250-280W all the way down to 170-200W. My PSU is 750W and my GPU cables aren't daisy chained.

boost the sucker. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:47 PM, Melker1246 said:

what usually drops is the GPU power draw, from an average of about 250-280W all the way down to 170-200W.

The only thing I could imagine is that the power your PSU delivers to your GPU is unstable after a while thus forcing the GPU to lower its power draw. Maybe try lowering your ingame settings or your GPU clock speeds to check if it drops again.