I have no clue what phone to buy

manon_gfx

Hi everyone,

My current phone, a Nokia 8.1, is endlessly frustrating me. It's super slow, hangs a lot, the touchscreen edges often don't work, and launching the camera app uses enough memory to kill all background apps (really annoying if you are trying to listen to music and want to take a picture). So I have been looking around for a new one, but I can't really figure out what I should replace it with.

The most intensive thing I use my phone for is youtube videos (I don't really care about HDR or 4K on a phone). Other than that I use whatsapp, read e-mails and PDFs, use twitter/reddit, browse the internet and make the occasional phone call. Nothing really intensive, but this phone is soooo slow it can't even handle this properly.

I also think the 6+" display is far too large for my hands, and I have pretty large hards, but unfortunately all of them seem to have only gotten bigger in the last few years. I think I mainly want a phone that's just really fast so it can last a while with software that is getting ever more slower...

I have been looking at the following options, but none of them seem great:

• Fairphone 4, the most ethical option. It's repairable and you know that no children had to go in a mine to gather the rare earth metals. However, this thing will probably be really slow in a couple of years and just become e-waste.
  • Nothing Phone/Pixel 6a/Galaxy A53. These seem to be the most popular 'mid-range' phones. They seem to be pretty fast now, but I don't know if they will last 5 years. The Nothing Phone seems to have the highest chance of staying fast from what I can tell. The A53 already shows laggy/glitchy behaviour in the UI.
  • Some €1000+ flagship phone. Perhaps these will last the longest, but it just feels like a lot of money for a rectangle that plays youtube videos.
  • Some iPhone? They all seem very expensive, and all my stuff is unfortunately already in the google ecosystem. I just don't know if switching to the apple ecosystem would be worth it, since it would be the only apple device I own.

So far the nothing phone looks like the best option to me, as it has 'longer' update support, and isn't crazy expensive. It also helps that is has a nice design and 12GB of RAM. I just don't know how long the thing will last, and from a repairibility stand point it looks like a nightmare.

What phone would you recommend if it had to last for roughly 5 years without becoming slower than a snail?

17 minutes ago, manon_gfx said:

My current phone, a Nokia 8.1, is endlessly frustrating me.

i dont want to pull an apple and say "you're using it wrong", but my nokia 7.1 is still plenty fast. perhaps it's one or more apps (shit like widgets with too much tracking scripts.. comes to mind) are seeping all your performance.

and to get back to the topic... i'd recommend a nokia. everyone in my family that doesnt have an iphone (because apple), has a nokia at this point.

8 hours ago, manikyath said:

i dont want to pull an apple and say "you're using it wrong", but my nokia 7.1 is still plenty fast. perhaps it's one or more apps (shit like widgets with too much tracking scripts.. comes to mind) are seeping all your performance.

and to get back to the topic... i'd recommend a nokia. everyone in my family that doesnt have an iphone (because apple), has a nokia at this point.

I don't use any widgets and have a pretty minimal set of apps. I can't think of anything that would run in the background.

Loading spotify takes 5 to 10 seconds, opening google maps makes the whole phone freeze for a while and then lags, and taking a picture via whatsapp takes like 10 seconds, which makes it unusable.

The edges of the touch screen randomly not working (multiple times a day) until I lock and unlock the phone are reason enough for me to never buy a nokia again.

16 hours ago, manon_gfx said:

Hi everyone,

My current phone, a Nokia 8.1, is endlessly frustrating me. It's super slow, hangs a lot, the touchscreen edges often don't work, and launching the camera app uses enough memory to kill all background apps (really annoying if you are trying to listen to music and want to take a picture). So I have been looking around for a new one, but I can't really figure out what I should replace it with.

The most intensive thing I use my phone for is youtube videos (I don't really care about HDR or 4K on a phone). Other than that I use whatsapp, read e-mails and PDFs, use twitter/reddit, browse the internet and make the occasional phone call. Nothing really intensive, but this phone is soooo slow it can't even handle this properly.

I also think the 6+" display is far too large for my hands, and I have pretty large hards, but unfortunately all of them seem to have only gotten bigger in the last few years. I think I mainly want a phone that's just really fast so it can last a while with software that is getting ever more slower...

• Fairphone 4, the most ethical option. It's repairable and you know that no children had to go in a mine to gather the rare earth metals. However, this thing will probably be really slow in a couple of years and just become e-waste.
  • Nothing Phone/Pixel 6a/Galaxy A53. These seem to be the most popular 'mid-range' phones. They seem to be pretty fast now, but I don't know if they will last 5 years. The Nothing Phone seems to have the highest chance of staying fast from what I can tell. The A53 already shows laggy/glitchy behaviour in the UI.
  • Some €1000+ flagship phone. Perhaps these will last the longest, but it just feels like a lot of money for a rectangle that plays youtube videos.
  • Some iPhone? They all seem very expensive, and all my stuff is unfortunately already in the google ecosystem. I just don't know if switching to the apple ecosystem would be worth it, since it would be the only apple device I own.

So far the nothing phone looks like the best option to me, as it has 'longer' update support, and isn't crazy expensive. It also helps that is has a nice design and 12GB of RAM. I just don't know how long the thing will last, and from a repairibility stand point it looks like a nightmare.

What phone would you recommend if it had to last for roughly 5 years without becoming slower than a snail?

I'll be frank: if I had to buy a phone that would last for five years with strong performance, it'd be an iPhone. Apple had a rough start, but it's good at making phones that still feel reasonably quick over the years. I only upgraded from an iPhone XS to a 13 Pro because of the features I wanted, not because the XS was unacceptably slow. I wouldn't get more than the base iPhone 13 or 14 in your case, but that will be plenty.

Living with lots of Google services isn't too hard in iPhone land. Obviously you won't have always-available Assistant or the option of setting all your Google apps as default (you can for some), but all the apps are covered. Hell, Google even has iOS lock screen widgets that put its own phones' functionality to shame.

In the mid-range Android world, I'd agree on the Nothing Phone 1 so long as the company is consistent about updates and improves its after-sale support (which is limited in these early days). Google obviously has more of a track record, but the jury's still out on how well Tensor holds up for several years. Consider buying a Pixel 7 if you want better future-proofing.

Fairphone 4 is well-intentioned, but unfortunately strikes me as the victim of Linux-style optimism — that is, the absolute commitment to an ideal means it'll always be a step behind the competition. And like you pointed out, the irony is that the lackluster specs will increase the chances of getting rid of the phone sooner than you'd want.

17 hours ago, manon_gfx said:

Hi everyone,

Android phones are absolute garbage E Waste that get enormously slow after a year or so.

Just get a goshdarn iphone. Get an iphone 12 or newer and it'll easily last the 5 years you seek without slowing down

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

28 minutes ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

Android phones are absolute garbage E Waste that get enormously slow after a year or so.

Just get a goshdarn iphone. Get an iphone 12 or newer and it'll easily last the 5 years you seek without slowing down

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. I've had Android phones that ran well for years. My Pixel 6 'sidearm' is just as quick as it was when launched a year ago. The bigger concern was simply OS update policies, which were pretty lousy until a couple of years ago.

I prefer iPhones, but I don't feel the need to put down Android to justify my decision. iPhones are great; some Android phones are also great.

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

I'll be frank: if I had to buy a phone that would last for five years with strong performance, it'd be an iPhone. Apple had a rough start, but it's good at making phones that still feel reasonably quick over the years. I only upgraded from an iPhone XS to a 13 Pro because of the features I wanted, not because the XS was unacceptably slow. I wouldn't get more than the base iPhone 13 or 14 in your case, but that will be plenty.

Living with lots of Google services isn't too hard in iPhone land. Obviously you won't have always-available Assistant or the option of setting all your Google apps as default (you can for some), but all the apps are covered. Hell, Google even has iOS lock screen widgets that put its own phones' functionality to shame.

In the mid-range Android world, I'd agree on the Nothing Phone 1 so long as the company is consistent about updates and improves its after-sale support (which is limited in these early days). Google obviously has more of a track record, but the jury's still out on how well Tensor holds up for several years. Consider buying a Pixel 7 if you want better future-proofing.

Fairphone 4 is well-intentioned, but unfortunately strikes me as the victim of Linux-style optimism — that is, the absolute commitment to an ideal means it'll always be a step behind the competition. And like you pointed out, the irony is that the lackluster specs will increase the chances of getting rid of the phone sooner than you'd want.

The iPhone 13 mini looks quiet appealing with the smaller display, but feels very expensive (Almost €1000 for the 256GB model). I don't know how well it compares in terms of specs/perf to something like a nothing phone or pixel. I would much rather spend a bit too much money now, than have to deal with buying a new phone again in a couple of years.

I think the main things keeping me away from Apple phones are that I really dislike the company, I need to buy my apps again, and that they are pretty pricey.

I'll also take a look at the pixel 7, although I heard the pixel phones are not great unless you are looking for a really good camera.

Pretty sure you can buy 13 Mini/13 and even 12 Pro at fairly good prices from people that upgraded and still look untouched. These phones last a lifetime. Gave my old X to mom and it still works like it’s a new flagship, only thing left a bit behind is the RAM but that’s it, pages reloading when exiting the browser app.

16 hours ago, manon_gfx said:

The iPhone 13 mini looks quiet appealing with the smaller display, but feels very expensive (Almost €1000 for the 256GB model). I don't know how well it compares in terms of specs/perf to something like a nothing phone or pixel. I would much rather spend a bit too much money now, than have to deal with buying a new phone again in a couple of years.

I think the main things keeping me away from Apple phones are that I really dislike the company, I need to buy my apps again, and that they are pretty pricey.

I'll also take a look at the pixel 7, although I heard the pixel phones are not great unless you are looking for a really good camera.

Keep in mind even the regular iPhone 13/14/14 Pro models are smaller than the Nokia 8.1, so you have your choices. The iPhone 13 mini's only real compromise is that its battery life isn't quite as good as for larger models, but it'll still get you through the day.

Performance-wise, it's no contest — the iPhone 13 mini will absolutely thrash the Nokia 8.1. It's much faster, takes noticeably better photos, has a higher-quality display and offers features the Nokia doesn't, like wireless charging (though you'll want to use horizontal chargers, since it's a bit too small for most stands).

I have my misgivings about Apple, but I also have beefs with Google, too. At the end of the day I lean toward Apple because it offers tighter integration and is generally more respectful of privacy. If there was any phone maker whose actions would be enough to balk for ethical reasons, it'd be Samsung... I'm not that set against it, but its political corruption makes Apple and Google look pristine by comparison.

I haven't had time with the Pixel 7, but I'll say this: now that Google has ironed out the quirks, the Pixel 6 is a good phone. It feels fast (even if it's not technically as fast as an iPhone or higher-end Android phones), boasts a lovely screen and takes quality photos. The Pixel 7 largely refines things — it's a bit faster, runs a bit cooler, lasts a bit longer, takes slightly better pictures. If you told me that I had to ditch Apple entirely and had to buy a new phone in the process, it'd probably be the one I'd buy right now.

18 hours ago, manon_gfx said:

Just do it, iphones are so much better it's not even funny. I used to be the biggest android fanboy around until I used my now wife's iphone 6s back in the day. Literally went out and bought the 6s plus the very next day, that's how much of a better experience it was.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

So I went to a store selling iphones the other day to just hold them and play around with the UI a little bit. I really like the size of the mini. I also went to a samsung store, but all their phones are far too big. Even the one that folds like a flipphone is far to large when unfolded (and the fold line in the screen is pretty ugly as well :S).