Kangaroo - New Networking setup (Australia)

Hi All!

Firstly thanks for popping in and this is in Australian English 馃檪.

My situation is that I would like part/setup advice/suggestions in relation to a new network setup. I am currently in the process of building a home in Australia (yet for concrete to be poured). This house is going to have what we call in Australia聽 FTTP which just means a Fibre connection into the house聽(as linked). This is the first time I have had access to start from scratch networking wise. I would really appreciate some advise in relation to what this community would suggest solution wise. I am not on a specific 'budget' per say but I have not won the lottery either nor am I a networking genius.

My mission has many separate operating capability outcomes that I am looking to solve with your suggestions or what I have just overlooked completely.

1) A central 12-18RU Server Rack & 10gb switch that is capable of supplying a solution.

2) To have Cat6A/E or fibre connection to every room.

3) A dedicated secure storage server (I currently have a spinning drive setup but would be looking to keep/move offsite and upgrade to Solid State Storage)

4) A dedicated media server running plex.

5) A dedicated local security camera setup including POE access for 4-8 Cameras (with no monthly subscription and I "own/control" the data)

6) All TVs/monitors have access to view the "security camera channel"

7) To have a media connection directly to every room(HDMI/DP)

8) WIFI solution to cover entire house & small backyard.

9) Have two rack mounted computers that will be accessible around the house.

10) Have a PSU that will trigger a safer shut down sequence.

Attached and below is the current electrical plan that iv'e worked on

image.thumb.png.73272aad035bef7f7019188486121b99.png

TBH it looks like you've thought things through pretty well.聽

If you intend to be at this house for a long time the best you can do is future proof your wiring in your walls as best as possible by going to the highest end networking cables within a reasonable price. Not that I would expect FTTP to surpass 1gb anytime soon, but mainly for connectivity between devices.聽

It doesn't look like you have a huge area to cover, so probably don't need a mesh setup. A standard wireless router and maybe an access point should have you covered. Will also allow for a bit more flexibility when it comes to upgrading these down the line. Currently I use a Netgear RAX120 and a separate access point with my FTTP. Have a few points in the house wired with Cat 6a. Just not to the extent that I would have liked as this has all been added to an older house.聽

Utilise the rack you're planning on getting. Synology produce rack mounted versions of their NAS' that you could use to cover the security cameras and plex server.聽

I don't understand the need for HDMI/DP in every room. What's the source? Why does it need to be direct instead of just being accessed over the network?

The best advice I can give is really to watch all the videos Linus has done on his 'new' house. Should give you some good ideas.聽

Good advice! Running networking cable is so much easier when the gypbrock isn鈥檛 on the walls! I鈥檇 be prioritising at least a double near every place you want to have media playing. TV + console or TV + streaming box (Apple TV?). Get that high bandwidth off the wireless. You might be able to integrate IP cameras with your streaming box to save that - i think snazzy labs did something like this in his setup.