Faulty CPU or Motherboard? How to tell?

Howitz

I have an instability problem at stock cpu settings on my new build (MSI X570 MPG GAMING PLUS Motherboard paired with Ryzen 9 5950x). Basically the system will simply reboot at random while playing a game like apex or just suddenly asking something from the cpu like going from idle to moving windows around while loading a youtube video. The power supply have been changed to a 1000 watt to try and fix the issue, tried different ssds and hdds, tried different gpus, tried different ram and nothing worked. So the problem is 100% confirmed to be either the processor or the motherboard.

(the motherboard was bought new from newegg but arrived open box with sticky residue in the back which i assumed was fine because they would have open it to update bios and the residue would be flux from sodlering i guessed?) let me know what you think about this. Also the board came with settings not from factory, pbo enabled and such

Capping the cpu at 4ghz in bios by using a 40 ratio fixes the issue, no more random reboots. it appears that something is not handling stock performances.

My question is, before i return both to newegg, is there a way for me to tell which it is or if it's both between the cpu and motherboard? i do not have a replacement ryzen cpu or am4 motherboard...

2 minutes ago, Howitz said:

(the motherboard was bought new from newegg but arrived open box with sticky residue in the back which i assumed was fine because they would have open it to update bios and the residue would be flux from sodlering i guessed?) let me know what you think about this

There shouldn't be any sticky residue on a new in box motherboard. If available, the newer BIOS updates will be automatically put on the manufacturing line at the plant and don't take a new motherboard out of box, flashed and put back in and sell it "new". 

Pretty hard for CPUs to be bad so I'd go with the motherboard based off this quoted section from your post. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

There shouldn't be any sticky residue on a new in box motherboard. If available, the newer BIOS updates will be automatically put on the manufacturing line at the plant and don't take a new motherboard out of box, flashed and put back in and sell it "new". 

Pretty hard for CPUs to be bad so I'd go with the motherboard based off this quoted section from your post. 

alright yeah so newegg sold me a crap board they had returned to them. settings in the bios were not even at factory settings, it came with overclock into it.

1 minute ago, Howitz said:

alright yeah so newegg sold me a crap board they had returned to them. settings in the bios were not even at factory settings, it came with overclock into it.

Yeah that right there points to a returned motherboard and someone messed around with it. Clearly someone at Newegg not doing their job and reminds me of the scandals that happened last year(?) that Gamers Nexus talked about and exposed.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Yeah that right there points to a returned motherboard and someone messed around with it. Clearly someone at Newegg not doing their job and reminds me of the scandals that happened last year(?) that Gamers Nexus talked about and exposed.

should i just request that they send me a replacement board at this point? they are offering that i buy a new one and then refund me this one after i send it back which will leave me without a pc for who knows how long.

Just now, Howitz said:

should i just request that they send me a replacement board at this point? they are offering that i buy a new one and then refund me this one after i send it back which will leave me without a pc for who knows how long.

Ah, I personally don't like exchanging motherboards, or any product of the matter, just because the original purchase date is the warranty date that takes affect (if I'm understanding it correctly. If not, please inform me). 

For example, I purchased a Canon DSLR from B&H Photo late January. Then once I got it, I noticed one of the buttons was wacky, contacted their customer support and they sent an exchange out. The exchange email put the same purchase date as the date I originally purchased the first defective camera, so I got annoyed with that from B&H...plus FedEx shipping. 

User error. And this is your 20th post spewing the same garbage. Why don't you stop? 

3 minutes ago, toasty99 said:

User error. And this is your 20th post spewing the same garbage. Why don't you stop? 

how is it user error? and this time i'm asking how to tell which one is faulty. no need to ask 20 different questions in the same topic, that's why we have topic titles.

1 minute ago, Howitz said:

how is it user error? and this time i'm asking how to tell which one is faulty. no need to ask 20 different questions in the same topic, that's why we have topic titles.

uhh no you make one thread and ask questions there not 20 threads for the same issues. Seriously man first time on  the internet?

1 minute ago, toasty99 said:

uhh no you make one thread and ask questions there not 20 threads for the same issues. Seriously man first time on  the internet?

I'll make threads titled after the content that is inside thank you, if you're not happy don't click on them and go spend your time elsewhere.

what the fuck, look at those PPT SOC TDC AND EDC values, this does not look normal does it?

image.thumb.png.31fb97d8cbfa6208d4c2d479c004486e.png

I thought you said you cleared the cmos?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

9 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I thought you said you cleared the cmos?

i have, after noticing that pbo was enabled. those values came out of nowhere, it should have been at stock settings. I pressed reset on amd ryzen and it bsod and restart and now it shows those values. image.thumb.png.5c331c6d8e2eb23e4d6d50e1ead9a130.png

Ryzen Master is a turd, I would uninstall it. It will write to the bios, and read from it as well.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

looks like it's caused by me locking ratio at 40, it seems to put ryzen master settings all out of whack, but i'll run it this way until i return that crap to newegg since it's the only way to have it not reboot.

anyways, newegg is being really helpful thankfully and i'm returning both the cpu and mobo for a refund/return and i already bought a i9 12900k with asus z690 tuf board. Hopefully those works.

I've had a little haut le coeur abour ryzen cpus and boards for the moment XD