No video during post on ASRock Pro 4, Goes directly to Windows Login, does not collect $200

superwolfkin
Go to solution Solved by PineyCreek,

Tried removing the RX 580 to see if the motherboard outputs work after that?

I will say on my 1080Ti with my Asrock X370 Taichi I never see anything Asrock or BIOS-related (or anything) on my DisplayPort screen until Windows starts loading.  To see the Asrock logo on power-on or do anything in BIOS, I have to be connected to the DVI port on the card.  Just mentioning that as a datapoint; I don't have an APU nor a motherboard with display outputs.

The System

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro 4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G

Video: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card

Storage:

- Windows Boot: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 SATA Solid State Drive

- Linux Boot: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/index.asp

The original post

I was trying to switch to my Linux drive this weekend (My weekends are Wed/Thurs) when I noticed my computer not going to the ASRock POST screen. I already have this issue where my Mountain Everest Max doesn't work until the OS boots which is odd but I can get another keyboard. I've been testing creating a shortcut in windows to reboot to UEFI which I thought was working. I swear it worked the first time but after that it just reboots to black and if I wait too long eventually it goes straight to Windows. I've tried spamming delete which i think is my key. I tried spamming F2, F11 and F12 which might be the key but in every case nothing happens for a much longer time than I would normally anticipate and then it goes straight to Windows login.

It is true I was in the BIOS yesterday and while there looking around I changed two settings. One had to do with MBR compatibility  and I don't recall the other except to say that I checked for FastBoot and it was off and after reading on it I decided to keep it off. But at this point I have no idea why I'm not getting my POST screen. Still I have no problems resetting the entire BIOS if that fixes the issue and I'll go through and setup everything again. Just not entirely sure how to do that. Any ideas on how to do that or anything else I could try to get my system working properly would be appreciated.

Since then I've tried three different ways to reset the UEFI-BIOS. I found instructions online  [nicehash] and I tried all of those but nothing worked.

(Apologies if I seem overly concise at this point it's 1am and i just accidentally hit control q instead of control w and have to retype everything out a fourth time.)

I've tried the instructions on that link. I used a screwdriver to connect the two contacts. There were some irregularities with my manual but very small things like saying CMOS1 in the manual but CMOS2 on the board. I hunted the board but didn't see any other CMOS jumpers so I assume it's some sort of printing error because the manual doesn't have a CMOS2. I also tried to follow the instructions IN the manual (2.5, p26) and still nothing.

I was able to verify my UEFI keys and testing by spamming the keys anyway puts my computer into a dead zone where everything is black no signal but the computer doesn't go anywhere. I thus have concluded I'm not actually by passing my post screen but I get no video out during post which is the same issue with a different cause. I have my setup using two DPouts from the RX580. I tested both HDMI outs I tested the DVI out, and I tested on the mobo the DVI, and HDMI outs and none of those are getting signal either.

I went into my windows power settings and turned off fastboot though at this point I think I've already ruled that out as a  cause.

Tried removing the RX 580 to see if the motherboard outputs work after that?

I will say on my 1080Ti with my Asrock X370 Taichi I never see anything Asrock or BIOS-related (or anything) on my DisplayPort screen until Windows starts loading.  To see the Asrock logo on power-on or do anything in BIOS, I have to be connected to the DVI port on the card.  Just mentioning that as a datapoint; I don't have an APU nor a motherboard with display outputs.

I've had the card for months (actually it's been a year now) with no issue but thank you good idea. I'll try that next break and see if that does anything.

Finally took the time to remove the video card and I was able to see post and get into UEFI.

Long story short I'm back in business able to switch back and forth between the two boot drives now after a fashion.

The only setting that I changed and I do remember changing this was a setting that I'm too lazy to get the exact wording for but basically was how many seconds to hold before boot. I think it was 6seconds before and I do remember dropping that 1s.

That doesn't explain to me why I was seeing not output especially when pushing my Del key did seem to put me into the UEFI (blind). Anyway I changed that to 9s and tested it a few times and it's all good. I had a minor scare when I forgot to plug the power to the graphics card back in but aside from that it was relatively smooth getting back up and running.

Thank you for the idea @PineyCreek. I can finally get back to learning Linux on the weekends.

https://dl3.pushbulletusercontent.com/yVGKDNJniid2D72IXAdaP3bJvgn3juXH/637571f60d04d173f776d3d75dc97631034608d1a2afd30e96887297ec848bde.0.png