MSI X570 MPG Gaming Plus comes with pbo enabled by default, instantly voiding your warranty.

Howitz

I had random reboot issues on a new build i made for my sister, turns out after many attempts at fixing it including buying a new power supply for nothing that it was the processor bursting its bolts off trying to go above 5ghz and close to 1.5v because the Precision Boost Overdrive was enabled by default on my board. after some research I go in the bios settings and see this. Now I changed it to disabled and cap the cpu's clock to 3.4ghz with a 34 ratio in bios and it seems stable and not rebooting anymore.

The weird thing is that I believe enabling this function voids your warranty so MSI just voided my warranty for the processor with their stupid board default settings or what?

I bought the board as new from newegg and it came open box with sticky residue in the back, and reverting the bios settings to default will not affect the pbo setting so i believe it's possible it was tempered with. I will now contact MSI to inquire about the pbo setting my board should have by default upon purchase.

312355883_496028382542654_2576626010119492783_n.jpg

That doesn't void your warranty. Well actually, I guess it kinda does now since you admitted it. 

The answer to this is: Don't ask, don't tell. 

There's no way for AMD to know whether you overclocked your cpu or not unless you do something insane like put 2v through it. 

This is not a big deal. Don't worry about it, and you should probably do a manual overclock. PBO is actually pretty good most of the time, but yeah if it's not working do a nice manual overclock. It's pretty easy these days. 

1 minute ago, toasty99 said:

That doesn't void your warranty. Well actually, I guess it kinda does now since you admitted it. 

There's no way for AMD to know whether you overclocked your cpu or not unless you do something insane like put 2v through it. 

This is not a big deal. Don't worry about it, and you should probably do a manual overclock. 

just called MSI and they said that it should be disabled by default from the factory so someone definitely tempered with the motherboard bios prior to me purchasing it. I will ask newegg for a replacement board and maybe a replacement 5950x processor as well since it was really pushed by the motherboard settings.

1.5v is normal on 5900X, even with PBO turned off.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

13 minutes ago, Howitz said:

just called MSI and they said that it should be disabled by default from the factory so someone definitely tempered with the motherboard bios prior to me purchasing it. I will ask newegg for a replacement board and maybe a replacement 5950x processor as well since it was really pushed by the motherboard settings.

You’ve got an invoice from Newegg saying they sold you a new board. Save it. If anything goes wrong Msi will have to honor that warranty.

Then, let it go. 1.5v over a short period of time is harmless. Your CPU is fine and the motherboard works.

You’re gonna spend hours on the phone to replace fully functional parts? 

If you had suspected the “new” board was actually open box you should have never built a pc and immediately returned it for replacement. You didn’t do that. That was your mistake.

At this point you have a working cpu and motherboard and want to play the run around games on the phone for hours?

If it is controlling the voltage, 1.5v is fine. If you are controlling the voltage, 1.5v is not fine.

If you want less voltage, run AGESA 1207, that will take it down to 1.425v. You lose a shit load of boost potential. That 1.5v is good for single core boosts. If you can cool it, the CPU should boost to 5150 if you can tune it right.

4 minutes ago, toasty99 said:

You’ve got an invoice from Newegg saying they sold you a new board. Save it. If anything goes wrong Msi will have to honor that warranty.

Then, let it go. 1.5v over a short period of time is harmless. Your CPU is fine and the motherboard works.

You’re gonna spend hours on the phone to replace fully functional parts? 

If you had suspected the “new” board was actually open box you should have never built a pc and immediately returned it for replacement. You didn’t do that. That was your mistake.

At this point you have a working cpu and motherboard and want to play the run around games on the phone for hours?

well it had a sticker over the ryzen 4 ready that said ryzen 5 ready so i figure they took it out of the box to update the bios.

1 hour ago, toasty99 said:

This is not a big deal. Don't worry about it, and you should probably do a manual overclock. PBO is actually pretty good most of the time, but yeah if it's not working do a nice manual overclock. It's pretty easy these days. 

Now I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that AMD has dirrectly said that PBO DOES NOT void warranty.

44 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Now I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that AMD has dirrectly said that PBO DOES NOT void warranty.

Well that's nice to hear. Anyways i disabled it and i still have my reboot problem...

3 minutes ago, Howitz said:

Well that's nice to hear. Anyways i disabled it and i still have my reboot problem...

So sensationalist title is not accurate 😉

What ram are you using and what speed do you have it set at? What bios Rev are you using? Have you looked at event viewer? Any errors? 

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

So sensationalist title is not accurate 😉

What ram are you using and what speed do you have it set at? What bios Rev are you using? Have you looked at event viewer? Any errors? 

Id 41 event, ram is good it's 3200mhz corsair 2x8gb confirmed to work on a previous system. Using latest bios and tried previous 3 versions also.

Nothing wrong with the ram I’m sure.. but do a search here and you will see how much Ryzen hates your Corsair ram. Get different ram and your problems will go away.

27 minutes ago, Howitz said:

Id 41 event, ram is good it's 3200mhz corsair 2x8gb confirmed to work on a previous system. Using latest bios and tried previous 3 versions also.

Lpx ram? 

19 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Lpx ram? 

corsair vengeance lpx 2x8gb yes. i just installed cinebench r23 and i'm scoring under 2k? how is this possible?

1 hour ago, Howitz said:

corsair vengeance lpx 2x8gb yes. i just installed cinebench r23 and i'm scoring under 2k? how is this possible?

Clock your ram to 2666 and watch the troubles vanish. 😉 Lpx is really hit or miss on ryzen. I had to tweak the heck out of mine to get it stable. 

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Clock your ram to 2666 and watch the troubles vanish. 😉 Lpx is really hit or miss on ryzen. I had to tweak the heck out of mine to get it stable. 

Why 2666? The reboots happen with xmp on or off, i don't remember the clock with xmp off but it still reboots then. It is 100% a cpu or mobo related issue, i will try 2666 but is there a reason?. Only way i can make it not reboot randomly is forcing a lower limit for cpu clock in bios using the core ratio. Right now its capped at 40 so 4ghz on cpu and no more reboots and xmp is on with ram running at 3200mhz. If i leave default settings and cpu/mobo deal with themselves then it reboots rabdomly.

It’s the ram. Might be good on other systems, but not good for that system.

4 hours ago, freeagent said:

It’s the ram. Might be good on other systems, but not good for that system.

The system is stable with the processor capped at 4ghz if it were the ram it would still crash. Not the ram.

11 minutes ago, Howitz said:

The system is stable with the processor capped at 4ghz if it were the ram it would still crash. Not the ram.

Stable with what?

Edit:

Give it some time, but if you are 100% sure it is the CPU I would RMA it.  Seems odd that a 4GHz cap would fix this since they are factory tested before being shipped out.

20 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Stable with what?

Edit:

Give it some time, but if you are 100% sure it is the CPU I would RMA it.  Seems odd that a 4GHz cap would fix this since they are factory tested before being shipped out.

Might be the mobo too, the system reboots itself under normal stock processor operation. If i cap it at 4ghz in bios with a 40 ratio then the reboots stop. So something is not handling things to their full capabilities.

I have no way to test both separately so i will end up rma both.