Ryzen 9 5950x Issue (Linked to other thread)

Howitz

Alright, so I have a problem for which i have made another topic. And the more I do diagnosis the more it points towards the 5950x or rather its setup being faulty. Which brings the question, what do I need to do in order to properly setup a 5950x in a new system?. Here is my other thread about the problem I'm facing which is basically sudden reboots 

I'm slowly beginning to think that the issue comes from default bios settings on the x570 mpg gaming plus msi board. The 5950x will overclock itself past 5ghz on some cores for some reasons and voltage will be above 1.48 volts as shown in hwmonitor, I don't know why since everything is set by default and game mode is not even on in the bios. 

I have set the ratio to 34 (it was on auto by default) and now the 5950x is force capped at 3.4ghz on all cores, let's see if the pc still suddenly reboots. If that's the fix i'm really confused as to how to setup a 5950x... because looks like leaving all settings at default causes an unstable overclock... good job amd?

49 minutes ago, Howitz said:

I'm slowly beginning to think that the issue comes from default bios settings on the x570 mpg gaming plus msi board. The 5950x will overclock itself past 5ghz on some cores for some reasons and voltage will be above 1.48 volts as shown in hwmonitor, I don't know why since everything is set by default and game mode is not even on in the bios. 

I have set the ratio to 34 (it was on auto by default) and now the 5950x is force capped at 3.4ghz on all cores, let's see if the pc still suddenly reboots. If that's the fix i'm really confused as to how to setup a 5950x... because looks like leaving all settings at default causes an unstable overclock... good job amd?

You need to disable PBO for it not to boost high past where it shows to be stable. My suggestion would be to look toward the PSU. USUALLY it is a PSU issue if it is crashing hard under load.

8 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

You need to disable PBO for it not to boost high past where it shows to be stable. My suggestion would be to look toward the PSU. USUALLY it is a PSU issue if it is crashing hard under load.

it's not a psu issue 100% we just changed it today , and how do I disable pbo and why is it enabled by default in the first place? where do i go to see this setting? I have 5 days left to replace with newegg after that i gotta go with manufacturer warranty.

4 minutes ago, Howitz said:

it's not a psu issue 100% we just changed it today , and how do I disable pbo and why is it enabled by default in the first place?

It gives performance boosts which honestly most people do utilize.

not very familiar with the MSI BIOS, may be in CPU settings.

Additionally, with a 5950x and a 3080 I probably would have gone with an 850W but that's just me being an over-builder. 

Additionally, with that weird crashing behaviour, I would look into the RAM as well, furthermore, "high frequency" Vengeance and Ryzen can do some weird stuff.

4 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

It gives performance boosts which honestly most people do utilize.

not very familiar with the MSI BIOS, may be in CPU settings.

Additionally, with a 5950x and a 3080 I probably would have gone with an 850W but that's just me being an over-builder. 

Additionally, with that weird crashing behaviour, I would look into the RAM as well, furthermore, "high frequency" Vengeance and Ryzen can do some weird stuff.

well yes, the 750 watt psu was changed for a 1000watt today to get this out of the way. The ram is also good since it was used on a previous system for 1 year+ with no issue, the current ram kit having been bought to fix a previous faulty ram kit and they did fix the issue so they work. I will be looking into the pbo setting in my bios tomorrow. Also going to test a lot with cpu clocks capped at 3.4ghz with ratio at 34. If i'm still getting crash within 5 days, that mobo and cpu are going back to newegg

6 minutes ago, Howitz said:

well yes, the 750 watt psu was changed for a 1000watt today to get this out of the way. The ram is also good since it was used on a previous system for 1 year+ with no issue, the current ram kit having been bought to fix a previous faulty ram kit and they did fix the issue so they work. I will be looking into the pbo setting in my bios tomorrow. Also going to test a lot with cpu clocks capped at 3.4ghz with ratio at 34. If i'm still getting crash within 5 days, that mobo and cpu are going back to newegg

It likely the mobo, CPUs have a very low incidence rate compared to motherboards. Would also keep doing bios updates soon as they launch since this is a brand new platform 

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

It likely the mobo, CPUs have a very low incidence rate compared to motherboards. Would also keep doing bios updates soon as they launch since this is a brand new platform 

yeah it's on the latest bios and i tried the previous 3, all have the reboot problem. I bought the board new from newegg and it arrived in an open box with a lot of sticky residue on the back, no sure if it's normal or not since maybe they open it to update the bios?

1 minute ago, Howitz said:

yeah it's on the latest bios and i tried the previous 3, all have the reboot problem. I bought the board new from newegg and it arrived in an open box with a lot of sticky residue on the back, no sure if it's normal or not since maybe they open it to update the bios?

I'd clean the residue off the back if you haven't. That sounds like it could be an issue. When I got my board from Newegg when I built my system it wasn't sticky.

3 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I'd clean the residue off the back if you haven't. That sounds like it could be an issue. When I got my board from Newegg when I built my system it wasn't sticky.

i've heard it's like flux residue from soldering and is normal, but it looks and feels like some kind of leftover glue or something. like if you peeled a sticker and the adhesive stayed behind. or if i had spilled a sugary drink and it dried out and stayed sticky.

5 minutes ago, Howitz said:

i've heard it's like flux residue from soldering and is normal, but it looks and feels like some kind of leftover glue or something. like if you peeled a sticker and the adhesive stayed behind. or if i had spilled a sugary drink and it dried out and stayed sticky.

I'd clean it if I were you with some 95% or higher IPA. 

yoo what the hell, so i've been looking futher into my bios settings and found out that the board came with pbo enabled by default and even reverting bios defaults with f6 keeps it at enabled, and if i change it to disable and save and exit bios, it says that i have not made changes to the bios. I went to check and look what it says... no wonder i had random reboots, the processor was going above 5ghz and close to 1.5v... this also means that just building the system and powering it on voided my cpu warranty wtf is this bullshit.

312355883_496028382542654_2576626010119492783_n.jpg

alright so it turns out either i have a deffective cpu/motherboard at this point there is no way for me to tell which of the 2 it is. or i have some corrupt chipset or the current versions of the softwares that manage the ryzen cpu are pure trash.

I fix my reboot problem in apex by setting ratio to 49 in bios which means the processor will never run a core above 4.9ghz (its boost clock), by setting ratio to 49 in bios the cpu will run much cooler while running apex which was my go to app to cause the crash before, now i can play without issue.

Tho right now i can't run aida64 with the ratio set to 4.9 (because i guess it tries to bring all 16 cores to 4.9 which instant crashes it). it used to run aida64 without problem without the ratio set and by letting software deal with the cpu.

I don't know what to do...  do i leave ratio at 49 which seems fine for everyday use but instantly crashes in aida64? will i reboot in other multi core apps? my cpu reboots itself if i let the default settings on ryzen master and regular chipset settings so that's 100% a faulty motherboard/cpu right? Neweggs have been nice to me and allowed me a bit longer to diagnose the problem before i return the stuff for replacements