another HD7770 or an upgrade?

AyoItzYu

As title states, I'm planning to upgrade my mobo, cpu, and ram, and I was wondering if it was worth it to buy another 7770 and run it in crossfire or should I just buy a more recent card.

| MOBO: Asus Z97-PRO | CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Asus R9 280 | Ram: 8gb Kingston Ram| PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 600W | CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 | 

No, get a better card. Also I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can't crossfire anything under a 7850.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

no, get a decent card.

Hah... anything is better than these POS'.

@AyoltzYu Do not get another 7770, even in crossfire it's still garbage.

After trying to SLI two 660ti's together I've basically refrained from any dual graphics configuration without water cooling. Long story short it was hot, the card on top sagged into the other's fan and broke it.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

No, get a better card. Also I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can't crossfire anything under a 7850.

The HD 7770 is by no means a bad card in my opinion it's pretty decent and holds up in playing most games generally at decently high settings.

The HD 7770 is by no means a bad card in my opinion it's pretty decent and holds up in playing most games generally at decently high settings.

It's fucking terrible, what are you talking about?

It isn't 'garbage'. It's all some people can use... A friend of mine uses a 7790 and still runs med-high settings on the super unoptimized game they like to call DayZ. He also runs at High Settings at 1080p on Battlefield 4-- I would not call that a "garbage" card. 

OP Honestly I would just pick up something like a 7870 or a 7950 though (i believe there are a few in the classifieds... definitely give it a look)

//ccap

Even though the 7770 is by no means a bad card in your situation it would probably be better to upgrade to a single more powerful card. I'm actually in the same situation, thinking about switching out my 7770, and I've been looking at the gtx 770 or the r9 280x, so depending on your price range I'd recommend looking at those.

Clearly you don't know anything about 7770s, for its price point it is the best you are going to get. It definitely won't compare to a 780.

It isn't 'garbage'. It's all some people can use... A friend of mine uses a 7790 and still runs med-high settings on the uber unoptimized game they like to call DayZ. He also runs at High Settings at 1080p on Battlefield 4-- I would not call that a "garbage" card. 

OP Honestly I would just pick up something like a 7870 or a 7950 though (i believe there are a few in the classifieds... definitely give it a look)

Playing at 1080p on high settings and having to struggle to hit 60 fps is not a good gpu. I've benchmarked this thing extensively. I want it to at least hit 40-50 fps most of the time and it can't even do that.

Clearly you don't know anything about 7770s, for its price point it is the best you are going to get. It definitely won't compare to a 780.

I own one....

I own one....

K well you must have been expecting something much more powerful when you bought it

It's not bad I don't see what you're talking about.  It's cheap and handles games fine.  I've been using one for upwards of a year now and only on games like Far Cry 3 and intensely modded Skyrim have I had to turn down the graphics settings and in Far Cry's case I just had to turn off the anti-aliasing and everything was fine.  How does that constitute being labeled as terrible?

K well you must have been expecting something much more powerful when you bought it

No, I expect a card to be able to run game at 60fps without the game looking like something from 2001. I knew full well what I was getting when I bought it but for the money I really advise people to spend a little bit more and get something that can hold consistent frame rates when playing. Playing a game and the frame rate suddenly tanks because there's a few more shadows on screen is not impressive.

No, I expect a card to be able to run game at 60fps without the game looking like something from 2001. I knew full well what I was getting when I bought it but for the money I really advise people to spend a little bit more and get something that can hold consistent frame rates when playing. Playing a game and the frame rate suddenly tanks because there's a few more shadows on screen is not impressive.

Which is more than this card is capable of

Which is more than this card is capable of

It is not a card for 1080p. And it annoys me that people still label it as such. My friend got a 7850 a year+ ago for maybe $20 more and it smokes this thing. Even as an "entry level card" the 7770 is horrendous. 

So you recommend everyone to get $200+ dollar cards just to get over 60 fps?? Some people just wants something that works and for $100 the 7770 is one of the best cards you can get, period. Also many people just don't want to spend that kind of money or don't need that high of a performance. Heck I have been using my igpu since forever and I never had a problem with the games I play.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Thanks for all the quick responses guys :o 

I think I'm going to end up getting a new card, simply because of 1 factor I forgot. Sound. My 7770 sounds like a plane engine, I was reminded of this when I turned on Diablo... LOL

For anyone wondering, I'm looking at the GTX760/R9 270. 

| MOBO: Asus Z97-PRO | CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Asus R9 280 | Ram: 8gb Kingston Ram| PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 600W | CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 | 

Don't bother with Crossfire, waste of time, go with a better card, any budget OP?

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Thanks for all the quick responses guys :o

I think I'm going to end up getting a new card, simply because of 1 factor I forgot. Sound. My 7770 sounds like a plane engine, I was reminded of this when I turned on Diablo... LOL

For anyone wondering, I'm looking at the GTX760/R9 270. 

What about a 770?

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Don't bother with Crossfire, waste of time, go with a better card, any budget OP?

depends on  how much my university refunds me for my dropped courses and any tax refunds I'll get :P

I'll prob be dropping 600$ total for the upgrade. 

It is not a card for 1080p. And it annoys me that people still label it as such. My friend got a 7850 a year+ ago for maybe $20 more and it smokes this thing. Even as an "entry level card" the 7770 is horrendous. 

It's fully capable of running 1080p games and of course his card is going to be better than yours it's around $80 more than the 7770.  Your friend must have gotten his on sale.  It's a perfect entry level card.  My cousin, friend, and I all bought the card when building our current rigs and have run into no issues with it over the course of a year.  It's great for entry level.

Just for the GPU upgrade? or for mobo and other stuff? Ignore that, I cant read :P

anyways, I think just get the R9 270 and use the rest you saved for the other parts, but if you can find a cheap GTX 770 thats always the best :D

Computer Specifications:

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

So you recommend everyone to get $200+ dollar cards just to get over 60 fps?? Some people just wants something that works and for $100 the 7770 is one of the best cards you can get, period. Also many people just don't want to spend that kind of money or don't need that high of a performance. Heck I have been using my igpu since forever and I never had a problem with the games I play.

I love how people can take words out of context. :D And knowingly do so.

At the time I mentioned, a 7770 was about $130. For $20 more you can get a 7850. When gaming at 1080p, the 7850 smokes the 7770. Maybe I'm just a snob, but having the frame rate jump around from 20 to 50 constantly is stupid. 30 fps is still too laggy to play a game without it getting on my nerves with the jittering. And if you haven't noticed, a lot of newer games don't handle well on a 7770. At all. 

It's fully capable of running 1080p games and of course his card is going to be better than yours it's around $80 more than the 7770.  Your friend must have gotten his on sale.  It's a perfect entry level card.  My cousin, friend, and I all bought the card when building our current rigs and have run into no issues with it over the course of a year.  It's great for entry level.

At the time the 7850 was consistently ~$150. And tell me this, how many people want to drop more money on a new gpu once their current entry level gpu starts to under perform in games?

I agree with this. When I got this card, I was really satisfied with it and how it performs compared to my old 6750 which costed 20-50$ less (I forget)