DDR5 RAM not working with AM5 socket

Hi,

I upgraded to DDR5 recently and it isn't working with my AM5 socket.

I got an Asus TUF GAMING X670-E motherboard with G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB RAM.

When I switch on the PC I get a yellow DRAM light, motherboard beeper has 1 long 2 short beeps (indicative of memory issue). But it's brand new.

I read up on AMD EXPO, and I'm not sure, but does the RAM need to support this in order to work with the AM5 socket? If not, could it be an issue with the RAM?

Thanks. 

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

Is the RAM in the correct slots? Are you waiting for memory training to complete?

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

Is the RAM in the correct slots? Are you waiting for memory training to complete?

Correct slots? I've tried single stick in the first slot, single stick in the second slot, 2 sticks in 1 and 3, and 2 sticks in 2 and 4. Which one is it supposed to be?

How long does memory training usually take? I've never had a PC take longer than a few seconds, but then again I've never had DDR5.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

1 minute ago, Zalosath said:

Correct slots? I've tried single stick in the first slot, single stick in the second slot, 2 sticks in 1 and 3, and 2 sticks in 2 and 4. Which one is it supposed to be?

How long does memory training usually take? I've never had a PC take longer than a few seconds, but then again I've never had DDR5.

Training can take 3-5 minutes in some cases, maybe longer. Give it about 10 minutes to be fully safe. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Training can take 3-5 minutes in some cases, maybe longer. Give it about 10 minutes to be fully safe. 

It can take some time depending on your capacity, this is new with Zen4 and quite well covered in reviews so i'm surprised you weren't aware. For my board its roughly 30 seconds but many publications are stating much longer. That is only supposed to happen on the first fresh bootup however its currently happening during each bootup, it'll get ironed out. Bleeding edge tax.

As for EXPO, no its not required, XMP can work just fine too. What exact kit did you order?

From your manual like with most boards it should be A2 and B2: 

image.png.ed1c3f7f1412800a4ea368da375d713c.png

44 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

37 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

It can take some time depending on your capacity, this is new with Zen4 and quite well covered in reviews so i'm surprised you weren't aware. For my board its roughly 30 seconds but many publications are stating much longer. That is only supposed to happen on the first fresh bootup however its currently happening during each bootup, it'll get ironed out. Bleeding edge tax.

As for EXPO, no its not required, XMP can work just fine too. What exact kit did you order?

From your manual like with most boards it should be A2 and B2: 

image.png.ed1c3f7f1412800a4ea368da375d713c.png

I've tried both sticks separately in A2, left for 10 minutes, and neither are working, just get a solid yellow DRAM light.

Also tried A2 and B2, left for 30 minutes and nothing there either.

This is the exact kit. 

FYI, the processor is a 7600X, if it changes anything.

Any ideas?

1 minute ago, Zalosath said:

I've tried both sticks separately in A2, left for 10 minutes, and neither are working, just get a solid yellow DRAM light.

Also tried A2 and B2, left for 30 minutes and nothing there either.

This is the exact kit. 

FYI, the processor is a 7600X, if it changes anything.

Any ideas?

I assume you don't have any friends or know anyone else that has DDR5 system? I would be more inclined to think its probably more a CPU or Mobo issue. I would remove the CPU and ensure no bent pins in the socket. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Is this even with stock settings (4800mhz)? Or with xmp already set? 

57 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I assume you don't have any friends or know anyone else that has DDR5 system? I would be more inclined to think its probably more a CPU or Mobo issue. I would remove the CPU and ensure no bent pins in the socket. 

I'm not exactly sure, it could just be little particles of dust as I really don't think they're bent, but here are some pictures I took of the socket that show something there. I can't blow out the dust though, it seems to be quite well in there.

IMG20221016154300.thumb.jpg.44492f3aa25f05cd7aa4f9fdd5053a0e.jpgIMG20221016154208.thumb.jpg.bd03f3ec089de0e8db019d6cf665eca0.jpg

Apologies for the not so clear photos, I really couldn't get it to focus. Either way, wouldn't I get a CPU light if it was CPU related? 

56 minutes ago, Glenn-Tidbury said:

Is this even with stock settings (4800mhz)? Or with xmp already set? 

Haven't even got to BIOS yet, haven't had chance to enable XMP 😄

54 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Unfortunately nothing changed.

10 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

I'm not exactly sure, it could just be little particles of dust as I really don't think they're bent, but here are some pictures I took of the socket that show something there. I can't blow out the dust though, it seems to be quite well in there.

Apologies for the not so clear photos, I really couldn't get it to focus. Either way, wouldn't I get a CPU light if it was CPU related? 

If something is bent and it happens to be a pin connecting to the DIMM slot(s) then yes, the issue could manifest itself in RAM issues. You'll really want to make sure the socket is fine then make a decision on what you want to return if you truly can't get a POST in any configuration. 

18 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

Haven't even got to BIOS yet, haven't had chance to enable XMP 😄

Unfortunately nothing changed.

Hard to definitely say, but that does look like something not right in that spot based on how things look around it. I would probably wager this is likely what it is. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

28 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

If something is bent and it happens to be a pin connecting to the DIMM slot(s) then yes, the issue could manifest itself in RAM issues. You'll really want to make sure the socket is fine then make a decision on what you want to return if you truly can't get a POST in any configuration. 

21 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Hard to definitely say, but that does look like something not right in that spot based on how things look around it. I would probably wager this is likely what it is. 

I'll have a go at cleaning it off, if not I'll RMA it for a new board. I'll keep this thread updated.

I'd agree with he others that's a bent pins and you may be screwed because some sellers are gonna blame you for that and not accept returns...