HOW--> Clone from SSD to Partition on another SSD?

Go to solution Solved by RaputerXpert,
On 10/16/2022 at 5:17 PM, NobleGamer said:

Macrium Reflect install

Dude, I found out the problem I was having installing this latest version. It was attempting to install to a non-existent directory. So I created a new directory and then typed that new directory name into the installer program and ''magic time'' it installed fully!!

Thanks for sticking with my issue.

I want to Clone my Windows 10 Computer's 256 GB SSD Onto A New 300 GB Partition on a new 2 TB SSD.

I Don't Want The Cloned 300 GB partition on the 2 TB SSD Part To Be Bootable, But Bootable In The Future If I Choose To Later.

Is this Clone from SSD to partition on another SSD possible to do?

If So, What Parameters Exactly Should The 300 GB Partition Have?

Do I format this new partition on the 2 TB SSD special like NFTS, FAT, GPT? Other things special?

What are the step-by-step directions to do this clone the right way?

Which Software Is Best To Clone the SSD to the Partition That is Free Or Nearly Free?

Thanks a lot, you can't know how much, but trust me….😨🤔😀⛈️

Clonezilla allows cloning partitions. As far as I understand cloning will copy the filesystem so it would be the same as the source.

Though it's maybe easier to copy the whole drive including boot record and resize the partition as needed in the OS afterwards.

30 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

Though it's maybe easier to copy the whole drive including boot record and resize the partition as needed in the OS afterwards.

But if the target partition is around 50 GB larger on purpose wouldn't that be better than needing to resizing it? Or are you saying it's unavoidable?

Thanks for replying n helping me.

I use Macrium Reflect for cloning drives (or partitions). I don't recall if it allows for excluding boot records when doing that.

If not, you'd need to find a tool that could make a bootable partition non-bootable. I use Partition Wizard for resizing partitions - Maybe that allows for editing/wiping boot records? I've never done that before.

17 hours ago, NobleGamer said:

Macrium Reflect

Can't install it. Keeps giving error #1.. Have tried it a dozen times. Any tips?

Run the Macrium Reflect install and once done run the app as an admin?

Will version 6.3.1855  work fine for cloning my SSD Windows 10 drive?

That's the latest version I seem able to get installed with errors or warnings, even with running as administrator.

1 hour ago, RaputerXpert said:

Will version 6.3.1855  work fine for cloning my SSD Windows 10 drive?

That's the latest version I seem able to get installed with errors or warnings, even with running as administrator.

I can't imagine they made a major functional change to partition cloning, but stranger things have happened with software.

I haven't used that early of a version, so I can't say for certain, as it may be 5 years old according to an online search.

Macrium Reflect install

Dude, I found out the problem I was having installing this latest version. It was attempting to install to a non-existent directory. So I created a new directory and then typed that new directory name into the installer program and ''magic time'' it installed fully!!

Thanks for sticking with my issue.