No signal on monitor

DanM111

Hi! I recently got a pc built with second hand parts locally. I tested it on my TV before I got my monitor and it worked fine. When I connected it to my monitor however it says no signal and then the monitor goes into power saving mode. I checked the connections, unplugged and plugged the cable back in. Turned off and on the pc and monitor. And checked that the video source was the right one, and still no luck. I'm using a DVI-D to HDMI adapter cable because that's what I had on hand and my graphics card only has a DVI port, but the monitor has all three types (D-SUB, DVI and HDMI). Does anyone have a fix?

PC specs:

Huananzhi x58 motherboard

RX-470

Intel Xeon x5677

2x8 DDR3 RAM

500w power supply

The monitor is an AOC 22E1D

Help! School starts soon and I'd like a working pc for some CAD, 3D rendering and programming (and some gaming for procrastination).

4 minutes ago, Robchil said:

no post or anything? 

Nope, it shows the AOC logo, then straight to no signal and goes to power saving.

2 minutes ago, Robchil said:

why don't you use the DVI port if both have it? 

Because all I have at home is a DVI to HDMI cable, I assume that shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not amazing with PCs so maybe it is. My plan is to get a DVI to DVI cable later and try that, but I'm wondering if anyone would know if it's another issue.

It could be, but it sounds like it's just not accepting DVI to hdmi, not all monitors takes converted signals on all ports. 

depending on your monitor resolution it might need dual dvi cable too.  but it shouldn't since it has hdmi port. 

7 minutes ago, Robchil said:

It could be, but it sounds like it's just not accepting DVI to hdmi, not all monitors takes converted signals on all ports. 

depending on your monitor resolution it might need dual dvi cable too.  but it shouldn't since it has hdmi port. 

Ah okay then, I'll try a DVI cable. Thanks for helping and I'll report back in a couple of hours!