HEIC/HEIF Converter/Encoder

Looking for a good HEIC/HEIF converter or encoder, whatever it is called. I got a bunch of screenshots, all in PNG format and considerably large in size. So thinking of converting them to HEIC format for saving space. There are many online converters but I'm looking for software dedicated to it. Kinda like encoders that are dedicated to encoding HEVC with options to control quality.

• CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 5700X - CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 - Motherboard : ASUS TUF x570 GAMING PLUS WiFi - RAM : Corsair Vengence LPX 16 GB 3200 MHz x 2 - GPU : Zotac GeForce GTX 1660Ti Non-AMP - Case : Corsair Graphite Series 760T - Storage : Lexar NM620 M.2 256GB ; Seagate Barracuda 4 TB 5400 RPM ; Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200 RPM x2 - PSU : Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum - Display(s) : LG 24” FHD IPS 3-Side Borderless Monitor with Dual HDMI -  Keyboard : A4 Tech - Mouse : A4 Tech - Sound : Microlab TMN1 4:1 - Operating System : Windows 10 64 bit version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.4291)

Gimp can do it, it also comes with a batch mode for conversion: https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/

Or you could use Image Magick: https://imagemagick.org/script/formats.php

HEIC isn't widely supported outside macOS, consider using JPEG instead (or maybe WebP)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Id look into JPEG XL. Its the best or close to the best for lossy and losless image compression you can get these days. And HEIC seems like it won't be taking off due to licensing issues. Webp is also a option with better compatibility.

How much space do you want to save? You won't get that much smaller if you want a losless conversion(probably 40% max) But you can get much smaller files if your willing to go lossy.

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id look into JPEG XL. Its the best or close to the best for lossy and losless image compression you can get these days. And HEIC seems like it won't be taking off due to licensing issues. Webp is also a option with better compatibility.

How much space do you want to save? You won't get that much smaller if you want a losless conversion(probably 40% max) But you can get much smaller files if your willing to go lossy.

I got screenshots worth of 25+ GB. I once tested an online converter and uploaded a 4MB file, got a return file of 185KB with decent enough quality. But I am unsure what settings the site used since I couldn't see it. So looking for apps that will let you control how much quality you wanna preserve. Like in HEVC encoders, I usually use 18-19 RF value. So, I wanna control the image quality like that. This may sound a bit crazy, I thinking of cutting down the 25GB to 5GB if that is possible so HEIC would be great for this since the codec is a compression codec. Btw, you talked about license issues. Isn't HEVC free for use? Like I know that if anyone wants to use it for commercial purpose then they would need to pay royalty, but isn't it free for personal uses? And HEIC is developed from HEVC as far as I know.

• CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 5700X - CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 - Motherboard : ASUS TUF x570 GAMING PLUS WiFi - RAM : Corsair Vengence LPX 16 GB 3200 MHz x 2 - GPU : Zotac GeForce GTX 1660Ti Non-AMP - Case : Corsair Graphite Series 760T - Storage : Lexar NM620 M.2 256GB ; Seagate Barracuda 4 TB 5400 RPM ; Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200 RPM x2 - PSU : Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum - Display(s) : LG 24” FHD IPS 3-Side Borderless Monitor with Dual HDMI -  Keyboard : A4 Tech - Mouse : A4 Tech - Sound : Microlab TMN1 4:1 - Operating System : Windows 10 64 bit version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.4291)

20 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Gimp can do it, it also comes with a batch mode for conversion: https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/

Or you could use Image Magick: https://imagemagick.org/script/formats.php

HEIC isn't widely supported outside macOS, consider using JPEG instead (or maybe WebP)

Thanks for the app names. I'll try them.