5700x won't downclock at idle - constantly at 3.6GHz and can only boost up.

Just built a new PC with:

5700x | MSI X570S Edge Max Wifi | 2x8GB DDR4-3600 C16

I've tried using the balanced power plan (and manually editing it to make sure that the minimum state is 5%) to no avail. It can only boost up when needed like while I'm playing games. Normally I wouldn't care, but I'm worried about longevity in this case.

Using an NH-U12S and it can get up to 78C seemingly randomly but generally stays below 75C when playing CPU-intensive games like Valorant or RDR2. Not sure if that matters too much but the fan on the cooler is incredibly loud because of this, it's constantly at 50% speed according to fancontrol but it can go higher when needed.

I tried maximum performance plan too and same thing, constantly 3.6GHz until it needs to boost. For reference I'm in UEFI mode and my BIOS is from May 2022, latest on MSI's site is from September, should I bother updating? In benchmarks I've noticed my multi-core scores (Cinebench R23 and Geekbench) are a little lower than usual but my single-core appears fine.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Open Ryzen Master and look at the cores there in Advanced View. I can almost guarantee everything is working as intended its just limitations with third party software. Even Task Manager doesn't really handle this they way you probably want as each core is doing something different. 

HWInfo can someone do it correctly IF you're looking in the right place, more info here: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/effective-clock-vs-instant-discrete-clock.5958/

You have to actually underclock/undervolt the system using Ryzen Master or in the bios in order to make actual changes. Just changing the power plan in Windows isn't going to affect the actual clock speeds of the CPU. If you don't know what you're doing I wouldn't recommend messing around with it. Those temps are already more than fine even for longevity. I think you're going to put in a whole lot of work for minimal to no impact on your CPUs lifespan. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

19 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Open Ryzen Master and look at the cores there in Advanced View. I can almost guarantee everything is working as intended its just limitations with third party software. Even Task Manager doesn't really handle this they way you probably want as each core is doing something different. 

HWInfo can someone do it correctly IF you're looking in the right place, more info here: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/effective-clock-vs-instant-discrete-clock.5958/

11 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You have to actually underclock/undervolt the system using Ryzen Master or in the bios in order to make actual changes. Just changing the power plan in Windows isn't going to affect the actual clock speeds of the CPU. If you don't know what you're doing I wouldn't recommend messing around with it. Those temps are already more than fine even for longevity. I think you're going to put in a whole lot of work for minimal to no impact on your CPUs lifespan. 

Yeah I was using Open Hardware Monitor and HWINFO64 but Ryzen Master showed it it going to around 500MHz with just Chrome open.

Guess I'll just order a better cooler in the future to cut down on noise. Arctic LF 240mm looks good.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Ryzen is an angry big block, just opening the hood will burn 10 gallons of fuel:)

Like others have said only Ryzen Master can peak at the beast without making it angry:)

On 10/4/2022 at 1:12 PM, Noirgheos said:

Guess I'll just order a better cooler in the future to cut down on noise.

Fan curve tuning.