New intellimouse explorer

Hibby540

Dear Linus have you tried the new intellimouse explorer?

Not sure I'd call it new, as it's been around for a bit.

As a diehard IME user, it was dark times when they stopped producing the original. When they released the Classic, it was great, but as a low sens FPS player, the sensor left some to be desired.

I got the Pro Intellimouse as soon as I was able and it's been everything I've wanted; classic, amazing shape for my hand, no weird gimmicks, solid sensor. 

19 minutes ago, divito said:

Not sure I'd call it new, as it's been around for a bit.

It was available with a ball, actually.

Though, the modern IME is not the same thing as of years past, since MS has updated the hardware. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's been a bunch of different designs, just branded as IME. If I wasn't happy with my D- wireless, I'd probably look at trying out an IME, since I used so many of them over the years.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

15 minutes ago, Sarra said:

It was available with a ball, actually.

Though, the modern IME is not the same thing as of years past, since MS has updated the hardware. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's been a bunch of different designs, just branded as IME. If I wasn't happy with my D- wireless, I'd probably look at trying out an IME, since I used so many of them over the years.

IntelliMouse Explorer never had a ball. The OG IntelliMouse started as a ball, before it went optical fairly quick.

The re-design of the IE 1999 version ("IE 3.0" - slimmer side buttons, better sensor in 2001) is the one I first used, and is the one design that has been resurrected many times.  That's the one the majority of "older" gamers became accustomed, alongside the IntelliMouse Optical 1.1, just before Logitech came out with the MX500 in 2002.

Then they stopped producing them, they released the awful IE 4.0, and gamers made enough of a ruckus that they re-released the IE 3.0 with a better sensor in 2006. I was able to keep mine for a long time before it finally died.

It was hard trying to find a mouse to use through those years, and we were finally greeted with a re-launch, again with a better sensor, of the Classic IntelliMouse in 2017. I got a couple in case they suddenly stopped making them again, and I was surprised when they updated it again with a more modern sensor in 2019 as the "Pro IntelliMouse." Such a comfortable and familiar shape that I will buy up enough of them so that I'll never have to use anything else.

8 hours ago, divito said:

IntelliMouse Explorer never had a ball. The OG IntelliMouse started as a ball, before it went optical fairly quick.

The re-design of the IE 1999 version ("IE 3.0" - slimmer side buttons, better sensor in 2001) is the one I first used, and is the one design that has been resurrected many times.  That's the one the majority of "older" gamers became accustomed, alongside the IntelliMouse Optical 1.1, just before Logitech came out with the MX500 in 2002.

Then they stopped producing them, they released the awful IE 4.0, and gamers made enough of a ruckus that they re-released the IE 3.0 with a better sensor in 2006. I was able to keep mine for a long time before it finally died.

It was hard trying to find a mouse to use through those years, and we were finally greeted with a re-launch, again with a better sensor, of the Classic IntelliMouse in 2017. I got a couple in case they suddenly stopped making them again, and I was surprised when they updated it again with a more modern sensor in 2019 as the "Pro IntelliMouse." Such a comfortable and familiar shape that I will buy up enough of them so that I'll never have to use anything else.

Pretty sure I had the one with the ball, the OG IM. I bought it because the mouse our Dell came with was so crap, and that also got replaced with the optical version came out.

Sadly, I stopped using the IM/IME when I found Corsair's M65, and now Glorious, but when I did use it, the IME was pretty amazing.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

All hail the IntelliMouse!

I was going to pick up a classic, but I guess the new one is better?