I don't know what I should purchase to "fix" my audio setup.

Stendal

Hello, I've built a setup that allows me to play my consoles at the same place I play my computer. I used to route everything to a TV on my desk which was "fine" for audio, however I've replaced the TV with a monitor which has really gross audio and now I'm in need of an audio solution. I've included a chart to better illustrate my setup, but the short of it is I want a way to get audio from my consoles (which all go to an HDMI switch) to my headphones, and I'm not sure the best/easiest/cheapest way to do so.

The HDMI switch is a generic one with no dedicated audio output, the headphones are 3.5mm, and the monitor that's serving the consoles does have a 3.5 line out. Could I get away with running a cable from the line out on the monitor to a line in on the PC? An input switcher for the headphones? HDMI audio extractor? Any help appreciated.

Audio Chart-1.png

Could be as simple as running audio from each console to a small mixer and getting the headphone feed from that.

That would keep everything going to the same place for audio.

I'm sure is another way, but that is a simple and effective way.

5 hours ago, Stendal said:

Hello, I've built a setup that allows me to play my consoles at the same place I play my computer. I used to route everything to a TV on my desk which was "fine" for audio, however I've replaced the TV with a monitor which has really gross audio and now I'm in need of an audio solution. I've included a chart to better illustrate my setup, but the short of it is I want a way to get audio from my consoles (which all go to an HDMI switch) to my headphones, and I'm not sure the best/easiest/cheapest way to do so.

The HDMI switch is a generic one with no dedicated audio output, the headphones are 3.5mm, and the monitor that's serving the consoles does have a 3.5 line out. Could I get away with running a cable from the line out on the monitor to a line in on the PC? An input switcher for the headphones? HDMI audio extractor? Any help appreciated.

Audio Chart-1.png

I currently run a setup where my switch has a little USB dac plugged into it  with a cable that goes from it to my line in on PC and volume controlled using a device called turn up tech. And it works like a charm. If you ahve multiple consoles you can probably even run a mixer but a HDMI extractor or running a line from your monitor directly to the line in can work well as well. I just don't think the monitor dac will sound that good.

18 hours ago, Stendal said:

the monitor that's serving the consoles does have a 3.5 line out

Soooo... have you listened to it? is it good enough for ya? If so then there's your 0$ solution 🙂