System only being able to boot in single channel mode.

Go to solution Solved by Matt_A,
On 10/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, fuzz0r said:

You're using the wrong version as far as I can tell.

You're going to need to update to 2.70 first, then continue one BIOS update at a time until you hit 3.60.

But first things first.

Download version 2.70 and try that.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, Beerzerker said:

Anything to update for your results since?

Alot of the time you don't have to go through each and every BIOS file by release version but in this case it looks that way as indicated above. 

Also be sure the USB drive is placed in the correct port too if the board's flashing procedure specifies a given port to flash it from.

So I tried loading up the 2.70 update and its still not reading. I'm think at this point I think out of my own neglence or bad luck I somehow ducked my MOBO. Got a new msi B550 Board and everything working fine with my parts and new Ryzen 7 5800x.

Thanks you guys for helping me out and troubleshooting this issue I really appreciate it !

So attempted to upgrade my pc from a Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 7 5800x. After the install the system didn't want to boot, so I reinstalled my old cpu and didn't factor that my seasonic psu didn't have enough overhead to power my Cpu. But now my pc wont boot unless I slot my ram sticks in the first 2 slots A1, and B1. Anyone have any idea what's going on, this is my first time with AMD and idk what todo. 

They're no bent pins and all the pins are intact. 

Specs: 

Cpu: AMD ryzen 5 3600

Ram: 16gb

Motherboard: Asrock B450 steel legend

Gpu: Rtx 2080 super

Psu: Seasonic 750w

The fact that it didn't boot could have something to do with an unupdated motherboard BIOS though, you're certain that is not a factor?

3 hours ago, fuzz0r said:

The fact that it didn't boot could have something to do with an unupdated motherboard BIOS though, you're certain that is not a factor?

I haven't, how would I go about updating the bios ?. Would that also be the reason why it's not able to boot when I have the ram in duel channel ?

What happened is the board tried to change settings to run the new chip but because it's probrably not supported by the current BIOS it didn't boot.
Then you tried to go back and that didn't work either due to the changes it did trying to work the new chip.

To use the new chip you'll need to update the BIOS - No way around it.
The manufacturer's website has the BIOS and steps on how to do the flash and it's easy to do - Almost automatic in fact.
Just get the newest BIOS file and do it.

To start using the old chip again you'll need to reset the BIOS via clearing CMOS, usually you can just pop the battery out for about a minute, pop it back in and it should work.
Note that anytime CMOS is cleared any settings you had are reset to factory defaults, including your system clock.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

6 hours ago, Matt_A said:

I haven't, how would I go about updating the bios ?. Would that also be the reason why it's not able to boot when I have the ram in duel channel ?

Sorry had to sleep. 😛

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450 Steel Legend/index.us.asp#BIOS

Your BIOS is here, you need to download the newest version and put it on a USB, then you go into your BIOS and flash from there.

Make sure to check that the motherboard is the one you're using.

It could be something as little as a dirty ram slot or something larger.

Update the BIOS first, then try to put in your new CPU and set the memory to dual channel.

5 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

What happened is the board tried to change settings to run the new chip but because it's probrably not supported by the current BIOS it didn't boot.
Then you tried to go back and that didn't work either due to the changes it did trying to work the new chip.

To use the new chip you'll need to update the BIOS - No way around it.
The manufacturer's website has the BIOS and steps on how to do the flash and it's easy to do - Almost automatic in fact.
Just get the newest BIOS file and do it.

To start using the old chip again you'll need to reset the BIOS via clearing CMOS, usually you can just pop the battery out for about a minute, pop it back in and it should work.
Note that anytime CMOS is cleared any settings you had are reset to factory defaults, including your system clock.

So I'm trying to update my BIOS now, got a new fat32 USB stick and loaded it up with the update, it keeps telling me that there's image on the drive. I've tried it 3 times and even reduced the partition size 1.96 gigs. Any ideas ?

13 hours ago, Matt_A said:

So I'm trying to update my BIOS now, got a new fat32 USB stick and loaded it up with the update, it keeps telling me that there's image on the drive. I've tried it 3 times and even reduced the partition size 1.96 gigs. Any ideas ?

Does it tell you there's no image on the drive?

Fat32 is correct, should be correct anyway.

I think if I remember correctly, with some AMD boards at least you have to update one version step at a time.

What version of BIOS are you on now?

You have to go into the BIOS and look for the BIOS update menu (under "Tools" or something similarly named), that's how you'd get it to do the flash.

It may ask you to choose the file you want to use, of course if that's the only file on the stick you'd select that.

I will tell you now - DO NOT powerdown the system until the flash is done or you will have a bricked board.

Once done, let it reboot and then you can reset things as needed.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

On 10/2/2022 at 2:46 PM, fuzz0r said:

Does it tell you there's no image on the drive?

Fat32 is correct, should be correct anyway.

I think if I remember correctly, with some AMD boards at least you have to update one version step at a time.

What version of BIOS are you on now?

Yea it tells me "No image on Drive" 
I'm on Bios 2.60 for my ASrock b450m Steel legend

I even bought another 8gb flash drive to load the Bios update and it still give me the same message. could there be something wrong with my motherboard at this point ?

Edited by Matt_A
needed to update

17 hours ago, Matt_A said:

Yea it tells me "No image on Drive" 
I'm on Bios 2.60 for my ASrock b450m Steel legend

I even bought another 8gb flash drive to load the Bios update and it still give me the same message. could there be something wrong with my motherboard at this point ?

https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/#BIOS1   <- Go here and download version 2.70 and follow the instructions here.

Seems like you need to update to version 3.60 to use your 5000 series CPU.

59 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/#BIOS1   <- Go here and download version 2.70 and follow the instructions here.

Seems like you need to update to version 3.60 to use your 5000 series CPU.

I did that but when I boot into Bios it still won’t show up when I got to Instant Flash.  I’ll try and make a video with my phone to show y’all 

3 minutes ago, Matt_A said:

I did that but when I boot into Bios it still won’t show up when I got to Instant Flash.  I’ll try and make a video with my phone to show y’all 

Super - just quote or tag me when you've done it, and I'll have a look. 🙂

44 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Super - just quote or tag me when you've done it, and I'll have a look. 🙂

Here ya go and got a other USB stick just to make sure and it still isn't showing

20221004_155624.jpg

You're going to need to update to 2.70 first, then continue one BIOS update at a time until you hit 3.60.

But first things first.

Alot of the time you don't have to go through each and every BIOS file by release version but in this case it looks that way as indicated above. 

Also be sure the USB drive is placed in the correct port too if the board's flashing procedure specifies a given port to flash it from.

On 10/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, fuzz0r said:

But first things first.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, Beerzerker said:

So I tried loading up the 2.70 update and its still not reading. I'm think at this point I think out of my own neglence or bad luck I somehow ducked my MOBO. Got a new msi B550 Board and everything working fine with my parts and new Ryzen 7 5800x.

Thanks you guys for helping me out and troubleshooting this issue I really appreciate it !

You got the problem sorted, that being the important thing here and I'm glad to see you're back in business.