Games constantly crashing

pyrojester009
Go to solution Solved by merco,

Well it kinda helps, it can mean a lot of things, here are some examples I found:

The graphics driver is upgraded.

The system changes from a power-saving graphics adapter to a performance graphics adapter.

The graphics device stops responding and is reset.

A graphics adapter is physically attached or removed.

Resizing the swap chain requires a call to the underlying DXGI adapter, which can return the device removed error.

The app might have moved to a monitor that's attached to a different graphics device.

it's from this thread about handling errors https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/gaming/handling-device-lost-scenarios

It could also be a setting in your nvidia drivers that just causes problems, I read people resolving this error by disabling sharpening there. I also recently heard about frequent crashes related to gsync.

So it's probably related to your GPU, but you can't really tell what the problem is right away, could be both hardware or software failure. I had my GPU crashing because of bad RAM too, so I was looking into a lot of stuff about GPU just to find out replacing my RAM fixed all my problems (bluescreens, game crashes, driver crashes/resets).

About a week about I was bored and decided to give Windows 11 a try. Figured I had a good back up of 10 if anything went wrong, so wasn't worried. A couple days after the upgrade I started to get game crashes and blue screens quite often. Specifically, Fallout 4 would  CTD after about 1-10 mins of playing. Did some troubleshooting since I had a bunch of mods, to no avail. Fast forward to yesterday and I got fed up with all the crashing and such. Unfortunatally, my backup decided it wasnt going to work and I had to do a fresh install of 10. 

After 10 was reinstalled, it bluescreened during an update. Restarted and the update finished normally. From that point on I couldn't get anything to work right. Figured it was a good idea to reinstall gpu drivers since I noticed the screen went black during the install and didn't come back. Loaded up Fallout 76 and within 10 mins it CTD. I tried verifying it in Steam, that came back as fine. Loaded it again with same crash. So I reinstalled the game and had the same crashing. Verified it again and 6 files failed. It started patching 20 gigs worth of files only to fail at the end saying "CORRUPT UPDATE FILES". I uninstalled it again and reinstalled it on a different drive. Seemed to be working but crashed once again. 

Eventually I remembered Event Viewer was a thing and gave that a look. There were several crashes logged for 76 and they seemed to point towards d3d11.dll as the problem. Decided to do an sfc to see what that found. Naturally it discovered corrupt files and i proceeded to fix them. After that was done, I loaded up 76 once again and within that same 10 minute window it crashed. Cheched EV again and 76 was in there. This time instead of the d3d11.dll, it was pointing to the 76 exe itself. So I said F it and reinstalled windows once again. This time everything went smooth. No bluescreens during install or updating. This time I gave Destiny 2 a try. Loaded it the first time and crashed as soon as I landed on the Tower. Went to EV and it had an Information about it pretaining to a memory leak. So I verified Destiny and it came up with 1 failed file. Loaded in again and was able to land on a planet. About 5 minutes later the game stops responding. It doesn't CTD, but freezes with the sound still playing. Loaded it a second time and am able to play for a little longer before it does the same thing. After that I tried Dying Light 2, which crashed after loading into my save.

At this point I'm not sure if i should blame Window 11 for screwing something bad or if it's the graphics card. I loaded Heaven just to see if that would crash it, since it uses dx11 as well. That went for over 20 minutes with no issues. I don't have any overclocks on the gpu or cpu. None of this was happening prior to the Win11 install. I also noticed when i was playing Star Trek Online on 11 that it would crash within 3-5 minutes of playing, consistantly. That also happened after the 10 reinstall. I also ran a disk check on the ssd that has 76 and Destiny, and that came back fine. Not sure what else to do at this point so any help would be appreciated. I'll attach that only picture I had the brain to take.

MSI Tomahawk B550

Ryzen 5800x

32gb Curtial Ballistix

EVGA 2070 Super

WIn10 Pro 

screenshot.jpg

Edited by pyrojester009
Added information

Well since you reinstalled twice, it might be hardware related, so try to verify your components as best as you can. I would start with removing overclocking profiles. Don't forget the RAM. Then maybe try to boot with 1 stick and see if it's working ok, since that's the least effort. From there try to change out your GPU if you can, try the CPU in a different board and so on. 

If this helps any, Bioshock Infinite just crashed and says "The Direct3D 11 device has been removed or crashed." 

crash.jpg

Edited by pyrojester009
Added picture

Well it kinda helps, it can mean a lot of things, here are some examples I found:

The graphics driver is upgraded.

The system changes from a power-saving graphics adapter to a performance graphics adapter.

The graphics device stops responding and is reset.

A graphics adapter is physically attached or removed.

Resizing the swap chain requires a call to the underlying DXGI adapter, which can return the device removed error.

The app might have moved to a monitor that's attached to a different graphics device.

it's from this thread about handling errors https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/gaming/handling-device-lost-scenarios

It could also be a setting in your nvidia drivers that just causes problems, I read people resolving this error by disabling sharpening there. I also recently heard about frequent crashes related to gsync.

So it's probably related to your GPU, but you can't really tell what the problem is right away, could be both hardware or software failure. I had my GPU crashing because of bad RAM too, so I was looking into a lot of stuff about GPU just to find out replacing my RAM fixed all my problems (bluescreens, game crashes, driver crashes/resets).

The event that popped up in EV just before the game crashed mentioned it stopped responding and recovered. Also, I restarted just after than and bluescreened. I looked up the reason and it could be related to an old graphics driver? Doesn't much help. 

My monitor is gsync compatible. I'll try with it off. 

IMG20221001040606.jpg

Well what I was trying to say is that it can have a lot of reasons, either a hardware failure, or something in the software makes windows not recognize your GPU, so it crashes. It is just hard to find in general, you can look at many things before you find the real cause. Sometimes it's easy to find and you swap out a component and everything is fine. Just try to run all the troubleshooting steps I posted earlier and maybe you find the problem.  

I'll get on that in the morning. Not looking forward to hardware juggling. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the help so far.