can a single mobo power point power a ssd and hdd?

duemaster

i wish to add in a ssd to my alienware x51. however, it only has one mobo power point. is it possible to get some attach ment and connect it to both ssd and hdd? will the power be enough?

i wish to add in a ssd to my alienware x51. however, it only has one mobo power point. is it possible to get some attach ment and connect it to both ssd and hdd? will the power be enough?

What do you mean power point?

You know that ssd will have two connections right. One for data ,one for power. My mother board only has one such power point but gt two data slots. So i was thinking connecting ssd and hdd to only one such power point on the mother board through some connector or splitter.

Perhaps. Quickly looking online I found someone saying they used a molex to SATA power adapter.

A new psu maybe? or you could get the sshd from wd which has an ssd and hdd in one package.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I watched a breakdown of the X51 and for the life of me I could not figure out where the power supply was. Maybe it was the video I watched, maybe I missed it. I very much doubt you could find a consumer power supply (ATX, SFX, even TFX and other more obscure form factors) that would be compatible.

Do you have any molex connectors on your power supply? You could get a converter to make it work with SATA

Not sure what you mean. The motherboard doesn't directly power anything. It all comes from the power supply.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

@squirrl Well I could be completely wrong about this. In fact, I probably am completely wrong about this. But I think the power supply is integrated onto the daughter motherboard. I didn't see anything that registered as a power supply to me when watching a breakdown of the X51 so I'm baffled.

Not sure what you mean. The motherboard doesn't directly power anything. It all comes from the power supply.

This.

@squirrl Well I could be completely wrong about this. In fact, I probably am completely wrong about this. But I think the power supply is integrated onto the daughter motherboard. I didn't see anything that registered as a power supply to me when watching a breakdown of the X51 so I'm baffled.

The PSU is just a PCB like the motherboard so it may look similar, but it's still the PSU. In smaller cases like the X51 that use so few watts they can afford to not have an actively cooled PSU, they often don't bother putting it in a box or anything, so it's just a PCB with capacitors on it and a DC-power in (from a power brick serving as the AC-DC converter) and power cables for the PC.

The "daughter board" you speak of is the PSU for all intents and purposes; the other half is in the power brick. If the PSU provides enough watts to power another drive you can just split a connector. If you need more watts you will need to replace both the internal daughter board AND the power brick, which I wouldn't recommend doing.

@SMURG I've seen the inside of a PSU, so I knew it was a box with a PCB in it. I really didn't expect the PSU to not be housed though. I get that the system is prebuilt for the sort of people who don't intend to poke around inside and upgrade, but it would be so easy for someone to touch something they shouldn't.

sata-molex-hdd-cable.jpg

On the left there is a SATA power plug, on the right there is a molex

If you have one of those at the left and need 2 of those at the left go with a SATA power splitter cable -> newegg

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

@SMURG I've seen the inside of a PSU, so I knew it was a box with a PCB in it. I really didn't expect the PSU to not be housed though. I get that the system is prebuilt for the sort of people who don't intend to poke around inside and upgrade, but it would be so easy for someone to touch something they shouldn't.

The components inside a PSU are no more sensitive than those of a motherboard - you can even buy PSUs like that to build low power systems with, I've done it myself with a 90W power brick and an internal PCB about an inch wide and 4 inches long that goes inside the case and has the 24-pin connector and all the SATA power connectors coming off it. Doing away with the box also saves space, which I imagine was a concern for the X51. The only reason they normally put PSUs in boxes is because it makes them easier to install and allows compartmentalisation of the cooling. If there's no cooling required, there's not much reason to put the unit in its own box other than for ease of installation because most cases have mounting points for the boxes.

@SMURG As much as I hate to reference the DailyMail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215200/Teenager-Shawnee-Oklahoma-dies-electrocuted-fixing-computer.html

Teenager killed when opening up a PSU.

That's why you need to read the warning. Capacitors, they can hold a charge.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

@IdeaStormer @SMURG I don't know if you realise this, but the people who buy Alienware PCs tend to know jackshit about PCs. The comment section on the X51 breakdown video did not restore my faith in humanity. Personally I would be really worried that your average consumer might remove the side panel and touch something that would harm them.

@IdeaStormer @SMURG I don't know if you realise this, but the people who buy Alienware PCs tend to know jackshit about PCs. The comment section on the X51 breakdown video did not restore my faith in humanity. Personally I would be really worried that your average consumer might remove the side panel and touch something that would harm them.

All I know is on this site I've been warned about assuming people know what they're doing and warned for assuming they don't, so at this point I have to not guess and avoid assuming. Posters that post little or no info on their issue, leave it up to assumptions readers make, those that do provide the pertinent info get better replies.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

A SSD will draw so little power I wouldn't be too worried about drawing more than the PSU can handle. As for the wire, it is plenty capable of carrying the amount of power needed... so all you need is a "Y" splitter like this:

CA-C01002-2.jpg?1378908662