Looking to upgrade storage

KyroEX

I currently have one 500gb m.2 nvme installed on my gigabyte x570 aorus elite mobo.

Since I have two spots to put m.2 drives in I was considering getting another 1tb m.2 drive.

What would be a cost effective choice and how would I go about setting up which drive would boot windows and stuff? 

Great value for the average user: Silicone Power A60 or Team MP33, pick whichever is cheaper.

Great value with performance: WD Blue SN570, a bit more expensive than the above two.

You already have the 500gb one set to be the boot drive, why change it? Just leave it be. 

Put the lower performing one on the lowest m.2 slot, the top near CPU slot is better for the higher performing one because it is connected to the CPU instead of the chipset.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

I'd say, make sure it's a M.2 pcie drive (vs M.2 sata drive), check a little the advertised speeds, maybe check some reviews and buy wich ever cheapest.

For example, I'm very happy with my 2TB Intel 660p, the cheapest drive back then.

Where I live, his 3 propositions are decent also (Although you can find a cheaper one from Intenso)

(I guess he got you wrong, you don't want to change but add)

I'm willing to swim against the current.

7 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Great value for the average user: Silicone Power A60 or Team MP33, pick whichever is cheaper.

Great value with performance: WD Blue SN570, a bit more expensive than the above two.

You already have the 500gb one set to be the boot drive, why change it? Just leave it be. 

Put the lower performing one on the lowest m.2 slot, the top near CPU slot is better for the higher performing one because it is connected to the CPU instead of the chipset.

Will it matter if windows is still running on the 500gb one in the lower m.2 slot?

Make sure it is not QLC and NVMe isn't that much more (sometimes cheaper) nowdays.  I had good luck with the MC brand drives except for in one laptop.  I would go for a 2TB but then again, I've had over 10TB SSD space on a machine.  I got my open box 3.84TB Samsung for a pretty good price (it had 0 writes).  I don't think the prices are as good as they used to be though for those.

EDIT: Seems the PM983 is about 100 over what they were when I got it still unless you get the 2.5in version and use an adapter or PCIe slot.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

1 hour ago, KyroEX said:

Will it matter if windows is still running on the 500gb one in the lower m.2 slot?

Don't matter, just make sure your boot drive in BIOS is still the same. 

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home