1st gen Ryzen System with RX 6800?

manimerz

Budget (including currency): ~600 €

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: War Thunder, Horizon Zero Dawn, Anno 1800, Cities Skylines, Planet Coaster, Hogwarts Legacy (for my girlfriend), potentially M$ Filght Simulator

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey guys, I picked up an RX 6800 used on willhaben (basically an Austrian craigslist) since it looked like a good deal, and my RX 580 is slowly reaching it's limits on some games.

My system otherwise is a 4 year old self built PC with a Ryzen 1600X on an MSI B350 PC Mate.

My question is, how significantly is my PC going to be bottlenecked if I just add the 6800 into the system if I aim to game at 1440p upwards (4k with SuperResolution).

I also explored getting a 5000 series Ryzen Chip since my motherboard has the beta update available, but I'm not sure if it's stable, I can't find anything. I don't mind getting the system overhauled either, I plan on passing down the 580 anyways.

I dont think you will have a huge bottleneck at 1440p, but I have not tested it. If your 1600x runs at stock speeds, you could always try overclocking. In my experience, first gen Ryzen will go up to about 4GHz with fairly low voltage. On my old 1700, I was able to push the clockspeed to 3.7GHz while decreasing the voltage.
That said, I upgraded my CPU on a x370 SLI PLUS from MSI to a 5900x and I have no problems here. If you go for a 5600x or sth, your board should handle it fine. I also have not had any problem with MSI's beta bios, but your mileage may vary here.

What is your psu? The rx6800 uses more power and can easily overwhelm some psu's.

The 1600x is still a 60fps+ cpu in every game but don't expect 100fps or more in newer games.

Your board is stable with the beta bios. A ryzen 5600(x,g, blank,...) will do nicely

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What is your psu? The rx6800 uses more power and can easily overwhelm some psu's.

The 1600x is still a 60fps+ cpu in every game but don't expect 100fps or more in newer games.

Your board is stable with the beta bios. A ryzen 5600(x,g, blank,...) will do nicely

Yes ofc, my power supply is a Thermaltake 530W Hamburg 80+ Bronze, I will upgrade it to a 650W PSU (Brand, rating, modularity I'll figure out eventually, depending on the budget left), that seems to be the sweet spot.

I did not include it since I already figured that part out at least, sorry

1 hour ago, manimerz said:

Yes ofc, my power supply is a Thermaltake 530W Hamburg 80+ Bronze, I will upgrade it to a 650W PSU (Brand, rating, modularity I'll figure out eventually, depending on the budget left), that seems to be the sweet spot.

I did not include it since I already figured that part out at least, sorry

Get a 750w PSU so you can OC the dick out of that 1600x without fretting it.  I got my 1600 to 4.1 at 1.385v, I bet the x might be able to do 4.2 at 1.4v, and at 1440p that should be enough to keep up with the 6800 in most stuff.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

2 hours ago, manimerz said:

Yes ofc, my power supply is a Thermaltake 530W Hamburg 80+ Bronze, I will upgrade it to a 650W PSU (Brand, rating, modularity I'll figure out eventually,

Get a 750w barely more expensive. A msi mpg, corsair rmx, corsair tx, fractal ion or enermax revolution d.f. are all great psu's.