Help I cant Decide. 4k144hz or 12700k Must decide by 9/30

OldManGaming
Go to solution Solved by ovab_cool,
11 hours ago, OldManGaming said:

Ty for your suggestion, so you think(i am hoping it will) my cpu will hold up until 2025?

That depends on what you're doing with it ofcourse, if you keep playing similar games you'll be fine but if you suddenly want to play a new game that might come out it might not, though generally AAA games are more GPU heavy so i think it'll do fine till 2025

Budget (including currency): $900 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming and movie watching and surfing the web,

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Really need help.

I am torn between the Gigabyte M28U a sexy 4k 144hz HDR400 monitor or replacing my cpu, the 9700k with the 12700k

I am not having any FPS issues.  The 9700k does show 100% usage in newer games.  My pc is for gaming and movies only.

Current setup

3440x1440 144hz
1920x1080 240hz

i7 9700k @ 4.9Ghz
RTX 3080 12GB

32gb ddr4 ram
z390UD mb
ml360r aio
p500a case
750watt psu
1tb nvme
2tb sshd

Whatever I pick, I wont upgrade again until 2025.   So if my i79700k can hold out, I will get the 4k 144hz monitor(yes I know I cant push 144hz in all games, but many I can hit 90 to 120 fps in, and it future proofs my monitor needs)

Please help me with which is better?

And dont suggest 13th gen, its not in the budget.  I have a family member granting a 1x upgrade before they leave town, so I need to decide by the 30th or forgo any upgrade.

Here are some performances my system can pull.  I dont have any performance issues at this time.  I am really torn on what to upgrade, cpu and motherboard and reuse my existing ram, or a really nice 4k 144hz display.  Please help me.  ty

Thanks

Honestly would not suggest 4k 144hz for a while. its just something that isnt viable running at high fps even with 3080/3090 without a lot of tinkering and depending on the game engine you still may only hit the 40-70 fps mark. You already have 3440x1440, thats more then enough for now. What exactly is pushing you to do it?

12 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Honestly would not suggest 4k 144hz for a while. its just something that isnt viable running at high fps even with 3080/3090 without a lot of tinkering and depending on the game engine you still may only hit the 40-70 fps mark. You already have 3440x1440, thats more then enough for now. What exactly is pushing you to do it?

I had a LG 600UP that died, 2x,  I played Elden RIng and Outriders and Path of Exiles in 4K60 hz and my jaw dropped.  I tried going with a 165hz normal 1440p and it was nasty coming down from a 4k high, so to speak.  I settled for the ultrawide 3440x1440, due to the right price.

I have a family member leaving town on the 1st.  They are granting me a pc upgrade of up to $1000 max.  *I say 900 due to taxes* But I need to pick it out before they leave town, or I get nothing.  

The only thing I can think of is, a 4k monitor for future proofing my gameplay(all my older games hit 4k60fps easy and many of my newer ones do as well)

or I can upgrade my cpu and motherboard, and reuse my existing 32gb ram.

I am just not sure which way to go.  I know how 4k looks and I LOVED IT.  Sadly LG sold me to bad lemons of a monitor and Ill never give them another chance, atleast not this decade.  I wont be upgrading anything until 2025, so trying to figure out what to do.  

And its not cash I am being given, they are going to order it for me before leaving to go back home(They are family that are basically combing birthday and christmas of the last few years into one, and I want to get something nice for myself since they are offering).

I'd stick with your 1440p 144hz monitor and maybe upgrade your second screen to a decent 4k 60hz monitor if you will even notice the difference because it's very hard to notice on sub 27 inch screens.

Also if you aren't prefomance limited by anything no need to upgrade your cpu, the money CAN stay in your bank account for when something happens

3 minutes ago, ovab_cool said:

I'd stick with your 1440p 144hz monitor and maybe upgrade your second screen to a decent 4k 60hz monitor if you will even notice the difference because it's very hard to notice on sub 27 inch screens.

Also if you aren't prefomance limited by anything no need to upgrade your cpu, the money CAN stay in your bank account for when something happens

Oh I noticed the difference big time.  4k was the most stunning thing I ever saw.  Nothing compares to 4k.  Netflix and gaming was next level.

No performance issues atm, but I dont have the money and its not money I am being given, I am being given a spending spree I must use by the 30th.

Do you have any suggestions on a nice 4k monitor?  I sadly dont know all that much on what to look for, other than I know I want IPS and 400 nits brightness.  I had a LG 600UP, but it died 2x, so looking for something that had that awesome quality, but with out the fail rate that it had.

6 minutes ago, OldManGaming said:

Oh I noticed the difference big time.  4k was the most stunning thing I ever saw.  Nothing compares to 4k.  Netflix and gaming was next level.

No performance issues atm, but I dont have the money and its not money I am being given, I am being given a spending spree I must use by the 30th.

Do you have any suggestions on a nice 4k monitor?  I sadly dont know all that much on what to look for, other than I know I want IPS and 400 nits brightness.  I had a LG 600UP, but it died 2x, so looking for something that had that awesome quality, but with out the fail rate that it had.

I think the gigabyte screen you suggested is the best one for your purposes, unless you're getting into the $1k category where I'd go for a 1440p OLED instead of 4k lcd but that's just my eyes being slightly imperfect.

10 minutes ago, ovab_cool said:

I think the gigabyte screen you suggested is the best one for your purposes, unless you're getting into the $1k category where I'd go for a 1440p OLED instead of 4k lcd but that's just my eyes being slightly imperfect.

Ty for your suggestion, so you think(i am hoping it will) my cpu will hold up until 2025?

11 hours ago, OldManGaming said:

That depends on what you're doing with it ofcourse, if you keep playing similar games you'll be fine but if you suddenly want to play a new game that might come out it might not, though generally AAA games are more GPU heavy so i think it'll do fine till 2025

Thanks, as much as I want to try the new cpu, I think I am gonna tough it to 2025.  Intel is known to last, and if I get a higher res monitor, itll put less demand on my cpu.

I hope I am right lol

Seems like a no-brainer to go monitor since you keep raving about how good 4k looked when you played it. 9700k should be fine for the lifetime of your 3080 since you'll probably be strongly gpu bound in any AAA game at 4k.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Seems like a no-brainer to go monitor since you keep raving about how good 4k looked when you played it. 9700k should be fine for the lifetime of your 3080 since you'll probably be strongly gpu bound in any AAA game at 4k.

Thanks. I guess I wanted reassurance that my CPU was still gonna be relevant until 2025ish

7 hours ago, OldManGaming said:

Thanks. I guess I wanted reassurance that my CPU was still gonna be relevant until 2025ish

In your situation though I'd go M32U instead of M28U, as you'd prob get way more out of 4k on a 32 inch than 28 inch monitor.