Does my PSU support the connection of 3x PCIe 8-pin to power the new GPU cards?

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by Mick Naughty,

It can connect to it, assuming you mean a third party card with triple connections or adapter cable. Doesn't mean it meets the wattage requirements. So it will come down to the card and the rest of the system.

I'm absolutely dumb when it comes down to cables, please help me understand this聽 馃様

PSU: Corsair RM850i

So I was reading some articles about the 12VHPWR cable and I came across the following picture

spacer.png

Which made me realize that I could use the 3x PCIe 8-pin instead of the new cable, right?

Which begs the question... can I connect 3x PCIe 8-pin cables to my PSU?

image.png.e34975c1ab4eda348d038b6333368dfc.png

I'd wait for GN's review of the 4090 before i'd start to worry if my PSU could support it

聽With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

It can connect to it, assuming you mean a third party card with triple connections or adapter cable. Doesn't mean it meets the wattage requirements. So it will come down to the card and the rest of the system.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz聽

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q聽1920x1080@240hz

Technically yes but please wait for reviews as of right now it seems like this wholr thing is gonna be a major problem

11 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

I'd wait for GN's review of the 4090 before i'd start to worry if my PSU could support it

Oh no I don't plan to buy that one, perhaps the 4070 whenever it comes out, or similar

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Yea that's that I mean, if I can connect 3 of those cables 馃檪

7 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Oh no I don't plan to buy that one, perhaps the 4070 whenever it comes out, or similar

Yea that's that I mean, if I can connect 3 of those cables 馃檪

The 4070 is already announced and coming out. They just gave it a weird name of 4080 12gb.

However keep your eye out for 3080 deals I'm willing to bet its gonna perform the same.

As for cable yeah you can totally do that

Same boat here OP..

I have HX750 and can get the official add on modular cable from Corsair. Will wait for a few reviews first.. Will probably just get a new psu for it rather than use minimum 750W for the 4080 16gb

44 minutes ago, Netarangi said:

Will probably just get a new psu for it rather than use minimum 750W for the 4080 16gb

How do you calculate how much power you need? I wonder if my 850W will be enough for an upgraded system