Should I start a neighborhood computer repair business?

terrytek

You're 14.... nobody is going to trust you with their PC......

He's 14 and he has that profile picture?

Lol..

What have you got to lose?  Go for it.  Most people at that age either don't work at all, or have jobs such as working on neighbor yards/landscaping, delivering flyers/newspapers.  Neighborhood stuff, ie below the radar (no W2 or filed taxes).

Any good or bad experiences you end up having prepares and matures you for the real world.  And if you don't get much business (because of age or whatever), it was no worse than doing nothing at all.

What kind of free stuff?

Well, I "repaired" a friend's computer for free. When I say repaired, I mean I cleaned out a dust-smothered mess that would constantly shut down due to overheating, and said dust was sticky and infused with cigarette smoke. That kind of stuff will get your reputation up. I'm thinking about doing the same kind of thing with a friend this summer, but we're gonna charge $20/hour if we can get away with it.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

You're 14.... nobody is going to trust you with their PC......

^..... Sad but true

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

OK. 20?

What the heck... I screw people over, built up his p4 and charged him $200

people will gladly pay up if your confident and have a nice hat, 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

What the heck... I screw people over, built up his p4 and charged him $200

people will gladly pay up if your confident and have a nice hat,

Ooh, do you have any other helpful advice? I want ze monies. :3

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

I'm going admit, it's not an easy business, I work with my Dad in fixing computers and such you need a certif. for this and that.. it's hard you could start a local buz man, but I could put money that no one will trust you, not to be mean, but people don't even trust me at times, till they see their computer working. So just focus on school and just start mowing lawns and such, you'll get a chance to make money.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

What have you got to lose?  Go for it.  Most people at that age either don't work at all, or have jobs such as working on neighbor yards/landscaping, delivering flyers/newspapers.  Neighborhood stuff, ie below the radar (no W2 or filed taxes).

Any good or bad experiences you end up having prepares and matures you for the real world.  And if you don't get much business (because of age or whatever), it was no worse than doing nothing at all.

Despite what I said, this is true it only brings you a step closer.. but if you do... don't charge 10$ man, that's not even a large mcdonalds meal man.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Ooh, do you have any other helpful advice? I want ze monies. :3

The way I played it off was this, guy comes to me with an old p4 in a beige case, its atx so I throw it in a $30 cooler master case, 4 gigs of ram. a cheap pci-e gt 620 gpu. And a $60 low capacity ssd. Suddenly with ubuntu its like a whole new computer. he was glad to pay $200 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

You'll also need at least a A+ certification

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I don't want to preach to the choir since everyone already stated the obvious about trust.

Now I personally did repair computers/build computers at your age. They key was showing my relatives my ability and it would become a chain reaction.

Fixed my uncles computer for 1/4 of the price a shop was asking for, in return if a friend of his had an issue, he'd call me up first etc... so on and so forth.

Worked out pretty well for a little while.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

You'll also need at least a A+ certification

you dont need any sort of cert and in many cases in the repair field they are basically useless.

I don't want to preach to the choir since everyone already stated the obvious about trust.

Now I personally did repair computers/build computers at your age. They key was showing my relatives my ability and it would become a chain reaction.

Fixed my uncles computer for 1/4 of the price a shop was asking for, in return if a friend of his had an issue, he'd call me up first etc... so on and so forth.

Worked out pretty well for a little while.

I did as well and still do stuff on the side. When I get a job I make a decent amount usually but I dont have a constant influx of people needing things done. It usually comes in bursts which is quite annoying since I usualy get too much to do at once then non at all.