Asus tuf a15 2022 sleep and lid problem

Dipu Kazi
Go to solution Solved by Aniket Patel,
On 9/24/2022 at 6:15 AM, Dipu Kazi said:

Mmm no if i click sleep from windows start menu the display and the keyboard led turns off but the led in the power switch and the led indicator stays lit but the disk usage indicator blinks randomly not "rhythmically", and then if i click on the keyboard or mouse the display turns on and windows sign in appears. But after clicking sleep and after display and keyboard led turns off or while running the laptop, if i lower the lid i think the windows reboots in loops, thats why the disk usage indicator stays off for some seconds then blinks randomly, and after lifting up the display, asus logo shows at the startup and while loading windows 'your computer went through a problem' shows and windows recovery comes up. And after selecting restart my computer from windows recovery, the computer restarts but after restarting from recovery the mouse doesn't show in the screen in windows 11, but in windows 10 the mouse shows in the screen after restarting from windows recovery. And all the apps and background tasks have crashed. I have bought the laptop 5days ago and I found out this problem yesterday. And no I haven’t set any recovery point set back. No a system refresh didn't fixed it, because i have checked it on windows 11 and also on windows 10.IMG_20220924_061618.thumb.jpg.3ed767531fc874380b0a1732b8703ede.jpgIMG_20220924_061915.thumb.jpg.4dda515b8061d60017d9813e167bd15f.jpgIMG_20220924_003934.thumb.jpg.b93eee121280f0faa92af20625ce860e.jpg

So this issue was fixed by rolling back the amd gpu driver from 31.x to 30.x.

Now closing the lid won't crash the system but sleep issue still persists.

My asus tuf a15 2022 fa507rr, when i lower the lid, the laptop doesn't go into sleep, instead the power led stays turned on and the disk usage indicator led turn on and off, if something is going in the background and the cooling fans stays on, when i lift the lid after 30 seconds the windows go into recovery mode, if i lift the lid before 30 seconds the pc restarts and all the background apps and tasks have crashed. If i manually click sleep from start or click the power button the laptop still doesn't go into sleep mode, the screen turns off and the power led stays lit still and the disk indicator light turns on and off, when i click mouse or keyboard the windows sign in appears. I have updated all my drivers using windows update and myasus app, also have installed the latest bios using myasus app. I downloaded all the required drivers from asus website and intalled them but no use. I also have changed settings from power management, selected sleep and hibernate, but still the laptop doesn't go into sleep mode. I have checked on windows 10 and 11, still the laptop doesn’t go into sleep mode. Laptop model: Asus Tuf A15 2022 FA507RR (RYZEN7 6800H, RTX3070, RAM16GB, 512GB SSD), BIOS VER. 312.

25 minutes ago, Dipu Kazi said:

My asus tuf a15 2022 fa507rr, when i lower the lid, the laptop doesn't go into sleep, instead the power led stays turned on and the disk usage indicator led turn on and off, if something is going in the background and the cooling fans stays on, when i lift the lid after 30 seconds the windows go into recovery mode, if i lift the lid before 30 seconds the pc restarts and all the background apps and tasks have crashed. If i manually click sleep from start or click the power button the laptop still doesn't go into sleep mode, the screen turns off and the power led stays lit still and the disk indicator light turns on and off, when i click mouse or keyboard the windows sign in appears. I have updated all my drivers using windows update and myasus app, also have installed the latest bios using myasus app. I downloaded all the required drivers from asus website and intalled them but no use. I also have changed settings from power management, selected sleep and hibernate, but still the laptop doesn't go into sleep mode. I have checked on windows 10 and 11, still the laptop doesn’t go into sleep mode. Laptop model: Asus Tuf A15 2022 FA507RR (RYZEN7 6800H, RTX3070, RAM16GB, 512GB SSD), BIOS VER. 312.

The on-off thing is usually done by a switch in the hinge.  It may be messed up in some way.  Or the sleep systems of the OS is messed up in some way.  That’s often a bios thing. Not all laptops shutdown automatically when closed. This one does weird things when opened again though which leads me to think something is up.

I might be tempted to see if that is the most recent bios for that machine.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

53 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The on-off thing is usually done by a switch in the hinge.  It may be messed up in some way.  Or the sleep systems of the OS is messed up in some way.  That’s often a bios thing. Not all laptops shutdown automatically when closed. This one does weird things when opened again though which leads me to think something is up.

I might be tempted to see if that is the most recent bios for that machine.

The screen turns off while lowering the lid, but if i lower the lid while running the laptop, i think the laptop automatically restart loops into windows, for this constant boot looping, the windows go into recovery mode. And the recent bios version in the asus website is ver.312 for this laptop and i installed it through myasus app.

19 minutes ago, Dipu Kazi said:

The screen turns off while lowering the lid, but if i lower the lid while running the laptop, i think the laptop automatically restart loops into windows, for this constant boot looping, the windows go into recovery mode. And the recent bios version in the asus website is ver.312 for this laptop and i installed it through myasus app.

So setting a sleep mode crashes the laptop. Something certainly ain’t right.  Do you have a recovery point set back when it was acting normally?  Does a system refresh fix it? One of the downloads might have gotten corrupted or something. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So setting a sleep mode crashes the laptop. Something certainly ain’t right.  Do you have a recovery point set back when it was acting normally?  Does a system refresh fix it? One of the downloads might have gotten corrupted or something. 

Mmm no if i click sleep from windows start menu the display and the keyboard led turns off but the led in the power switch and the led indicator stays lit but the disk usage indicator blinks randomly not "rhythmically", and then if i click on the keyboard or mouse the display turns on and windows sign in appears. But after clicking sleep and after display and keyboard led turns off or while running the laptop, if i lower the lid i think the windows reboots in loops, thats why the disk usage indicator stays off for some seconds then blinks randomly, and after lifting up the display, asus logo shows at the startup and while loading windows 'your computer went through a problem' shows and windows recovery comes up. And after selecting restart my computer from windows recovery, the computer restarts but after restarting from recovery the mouse doesn't show in the screen in windows 11, but in windows 10 the mouse shows in the screen after restarting from windows recovery. And all the apps and background tasks have crashed. I have bought the laptop 5days ago and I found out this problem yesterday. And no I haven’t set any recovery point set back. No a system refresh didn't fixed it, because i have checked it on windows 11 and also on windows 10.IMG_20220924_061618.thumb.jpg.3ed767531fc874380b0a1732b8703ede.jpgIMG_20220924_061915.thumb.jpg.4dda515b8061d60017d9813e167bd15f.jpgIMG_20220924_003934.thumb.jpg.b93eee121280f0faa92af20625ce860e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue with this laptop. When I put it to sleep it consumes ~9% battery. 

I have tried everything from the mux switch to fresh windows installs and bios updates.

Nothing seems to work but the wierd thing is every once in a while it does go to sleep properly. I can't figure out what triggers the proper sleep.

Have you found any solution?

On 9/24/2022 at 6:15 AM, Dipu Kazi said:

34 minutes ago, Aniket Patel said:

That being it’s using too much power during sleep?

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That being it’s using too much power during sleep?

Yes, it was consuming nearly 9% battery per hour when I put it to sleep.

I learned that this is apparently a "feature" called modern standby. S3 sleep state is not available on this asus laptop and it defaults to S0.

Now I've found a workaround. If I disable bluetooth and then put it to sleep, it works properly. Power LED now blinks as it should and it consumes barely any power in this state.

But curiously after waking up the bluetooth is automatically enabled again.

10 hours ago, Aniket Patel said:

I learned that this is apparently a "feature" called modern standby. S3 sleep state is not available on this asus laptop and it defaults to S0.

Now I've found a workaround. If I disable bluetooth and then put it to sleep, it works properly. Power LED now blinks as it should and it consumes barely any power in this state.

So after some more testing I have confirmed this workaround is effective. 
image.thumb.png.01b4751524ff471572e4e625b250f837.png

The SleepStudy report confirms that the device used only 1% battery for 100+ minutes of sleep duration. However this is not consistent when I have usb devices connected during sleep, namely my mouse dongle and external keyboard. I'll do some more testing to try and pinpoint the exact mechanism behind this issue.

10 hours ago, Aniket Patel said:

Ouch.  Maybe a script to keep turning off the Bluetooth automatically.  If you’ve got win10 you’ve got powershell and can write one.

Edited by Bombastinator

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 6:37 PM, Aniket Patel said:

I have rolled back the drivers, but the laptop still doesn’t go into sleep mode, when i close the lid the display turns off, but it doesn’t go into sleep mode, opening the lid windows lock screen shows.....but thanks man, now the windows doesn't crash, upon closing the lid❤️❤️❤️

On 10/10/2022 at 6:37 PM, Aniket Patel said:

But the laptop still doesn't go into sleep mode, when i select sleep from start or if i click the power button. But when i selected go into sleep mode after 5mins of inactivity from settings, the laptop goes into sleep mode after 5mins of inactivity.

On 10/27/2022 at 3:58 AM, Dipu Kazi said:

But the laptop still doesn't go into sleep mode, when i select sleep from start or if i click the power button. But when i selected go into sleep mode after 5mins of inactivity from settings, the laptop goes into sleep mode after 5mins of inactivity.

There was a Bios 314 update released a few days ago. Currently my laptop goes to sleep after 1~2 minutes of pressing sleep button or closing lid, but only when Bluetooth is off. If I keep Bluetooth on then it doesn't go to sleep at all (Power LED is continuously on and Disk LED keeps flashing. I don't use any Bluetooth accessories, so it's fine for me, I just keep Bluetooth off at all times. 

I've been working on this issue since august 🤣

Rolling  back the AMD graphics driver seems to do the trick

I also disable s0 and just use hibernate

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
create dword called PlatformAoAcOverride value 0

I really hope asus sorts this out, I've been scouting around the internet, and everyone is sending their laptops back, some people have done it four times and just given up and gotten something else

Oh boy, I tried that registry edit and it bricked my windows installation. I had to open the the registry on a different computer to change it back.

I just keep my bluetooth off, as I don't need it anyway, since hibernate feels a bit sluggish.

Asus probably isn't going to fix the sleep issue since it considers modern standby a "feature", I found several other owners of different brands and models talking about the same issue. 

The issue with the AMD driver seems to be fixed with the new BIOS update, so at least that's nice.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:53 AM, Aniket Patel said:

Interesting.  So a bug in a last update bios that became worse with an updated bios.  That’s bad manufacturer bios coding.  Maybe see if they fixed it if the bios gets updated again, but don’t count on it.

7 hours ago, Aniket Patel said:

Oh boy, I tried that registry edit and it bricked my windows installation. I had to open the the registry on a different computer to change it back.

I just keep my bluetooth off, as I don't need it anyway, since hibernate feels a bit sluggish.

Asus probably isn't going to fix the sleep issue since it considers modern standby a "feature", I found several other owners of different brands and models talking about the same issue. 

The issue with the AMD driver seems to be fixed with the new BIOS update, so at least that's nice.

This is why I try not to touch regedit.  It’s too easy to screw things up.

On 11/5/2022 at 2:03 PM, Aniket Patel said:

So now latest amd driver doesn't crash the system closing the lid, after the bios update?