GPU upgrade questions

MVPernula

What's up, forums!

Alright so.. I've been sitting steadily on my GTX 1080 since its release. It has treated me well but it doesn't run fast enough anymore.

For a long time I waited for the coming GPU's, decided to not upgrade when the 3000-series dropped and here I am.

Now we have to 4000-series around the corner and well, ridiculous prices. I was hoping the MSRP would be a bit more reasonable, but again *here we are*.
I'm looking to upgrade, and I've been out of the game for a bit so bear with me, and I've looked at either the 3080 or the 6800xt (maybe OC).

Am I a complete nutjob for going at it on last gen GPU's at this time? I work with video, photography and sometimes 3D. Gaming is also a passionate hobby of mine.
Playing at 1080p resolution on a 4K screen isn't very nice.

Should I wait a little longer despite of the ridiculous prices, perhaps get saved by AMD's release coming later this year or just stop waiting once and for all.
I bought the 1080 to serve me for a long time, and it has! But I feel it was time for me to upgrade.. Like 2 years ago. 

Thanks guys.

17 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

What's up, forums!

Alright so.. I've been sitting steadily on my GTX 1080 since its release. It has treated me well but it doesn't run fast enough anymore.

For a long time I waited for the coming GPU's, decided to not upgrade when the 3000-series dropped and here I am.

Now we have to 4000-series around the corner and well, ridiculous prices. I was hoping the MSRP would be a bit more reasonable, but again *here we are*.
I'm looking to upgrade, and I've been out of the game for a bit so bear with me, and I've looked at either the 3080 or the 6800xt (maybe OC).

Am I a complete nutjob for going at it on last gen GPU's at this time? I work with video, photography and sometimes 3D. Gaming is also a passionate hobby of mine.
Playing at 1080p resolution on a 4K screen isn't very nice.

Should I wait a little longer despite of the ridiculous prices, perhaps get saved by AMD's release coming later this year or just stop waiting once and for all.
I bought the 1080 to serve me for a long time, and it has! But I feel it was time for me to upgrade.. Like 2 years ago. 

Thanks guys.

Absolutely wait for AMD in November to show their hand. It's less than 2 months away. Even if you don't buy one, it could cause Nvidia to readjust some prices, be it the 40x0 or the 30x0.

13 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Absolutely wait for AMD in November to show their hand. It's less than 2 months away. Even if you don't buy one, it could cause Nvidia to readjust some prices, be it the 40x0 or the 30x0.

If amd wants some relevance in a market now is the time. Its damn clear nvidia is just pricing the cards as high as possible so if amd says ya know what 500$ rtx 4080 performance, 400$ rtx 4080gt performance,... then well either nvidia caves or amd is gonna finally fall onto peoples radar for gaming.

And maybe just maybe (and this is extreme positive thinking) they can use said momentum to finally start working on their workstation class products.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

58 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If amd wants some relevance in a market now is the time. Its damn clear nvidia is just pricing the cards as high as possible so if amd says ya know what 500$ rtx 4080 performance, 400$ rtx 4080gt performance,... then well either nvidia caves or amd is gonna finally fall onto peoples radar for gaming.

And maybe just maybe (and this is extreme positive thinking) they can use said momentum to finally start working on their workstation class products.

Alright, well then it sounds like I'll wait a little while longer. At least until we know what AMD releases in novemeber.

Thanks you guys!

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

They pulled it off on the cpu side, I'd love for them to bring some serious competition to the gpu side. 

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

They pulled it off on the cpu side, I'd love for them to bring some serious competition to the gpu side. 

Sorta? In the beginning for sure but now the market is weird again as the 300$ bracket is now occupied with i5s instead of i7s from intel and the same from amd its now ryzrn 5s and not 7s

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Sorta? In the beginning for sure but now the market is weird again as the 300$ bracket is now occupied with i5s instead of i7s from intel and the same from amd its now ryzrn 5s and not 7s

Check out epyc, it's dominating pretty well. 

31 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Check out epyc, it's dominating pretty well. 

Thats not relevant for consumers