Ryzen and Nvidia: GPU not detected in Device Manager

Go to solution Solved by Skyehawk,

UPDATE:

it was the old install media.

Hello all,

I am helping a friend put together a new build (remotely).

The basic specs are as follows, all new hardware:

- MSI tomahawk mag wifi x570 (I will update this post once I get BIOS versions)

- Gigabyte RTX 3080

- Ryzen 7 5800x

- Patriot 32GB of 3600 DDR4

- 4TB NVME SSD

- PSU (at least 750w, don't know specifics)

- Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit

After a long process of having limited time to work on the build, a motherboard RMA and some other trouble shooting odds and ends it was time to install the graphics drivers. No problem, pulled the game ready driver from the NVIDIA website and this error appeared:

Geforce game ready driver installation can't continue this NVIDIA driver is not compatible with this version of windows

Odd, so we tried a few things: Geforce experience was unsuccessful, let windows update do its thing, looked in device manager and the graphics card was not detected, instead it was:
Microsoft basic display adapter             (This is the default Windows driver as far as I can tell)

Nothing else was present in the device manager to suggest the graphics card was recognized.

There are no integrated graphics on this CPU, so obviously the graphics card is working in some generic capacity.

Went through and did all the troubleshooting to show hidden devices in device manager (including setting the flag in the terminal), tried to update other drivers etc., no dice.

At work yesterday i brought up the issue and a coworker, they gave a passing mention to Ryzen being really finicky with windows install versions and drivers

So I dug around on this forum and came across a similar issue, pointing towards old install media being the culprit, this is consistent with the initial error thrown by the NVIDIA gameready driver. 

So I will figure out how old the install media is shortly,  Install media is 5 years old, as per the first linked thread this is likely the problem, working on resolving that issue, in the meantime here are the other things on the troubleshooting list that have been tried or todo, with the most difficult items given the circumstances towards the bottom of the list:

Thanks in advance for any help, greatly appreciated 🙂

-S

This is quite weird because a screen is apparently functioning.  What version of windows is it iirc the most current is h2somethingorother.  I’m might try updating the windows then do a DDU to clear out any cruft created by the earlier attempt, then trying to download the graphics driver again

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.