What happens if you plug two chargers to each other?

milesuy
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Pretty much nothing should happen, that would be my guess.  But I wouldn't try it, because there's all kinds of chargers, various designs, some more stupid than others.

A charger only produces as much power as the devices connected to it require.So if you push in energy instead of taking out energy, the charger doesn't need to produce anything and will basically behave like there's nothing connected to the cable.

Inside, the chargers are kind of like this

AC input (90-230v AC) -> filtering / preventing noise from going back into mains -->  optional PFC (boost 90-230v to 400-450v DC) ->  send pulses through a high frequency transformer to produce a lower voltage on the other side)  -> rectification (convert those low voltage pulses on the other side of transformer into a dc voltage, ex 5v/9v/12v) -> capacitors (smooth out the dc voltage and provide some energy when the device connected to charger demands more power suddenly, giving time for charger to ramp up production)  --> output connector/cable

Between the rectification and the capacitors near the output there's usually a "tap", where some circuit is added to monitor the output voltage and give feedback to the chip on the high voltage side, with this signal the chip will adjust the number of pulses up and down, to keep the output voltage smooth and to the right level. 

The rectification part after the transformer is also like a one way valve, it only lets energy flow from the transformer towards the output cable. So you giving power into a charger should basically only charge up the capacitors near the output connector with some power, and maybe send some feedback signal to the chip (the chip will detect 5v or whatever even though it's idling, not producing anything because it doesn't detect any device connected to the cable)

What happens if you plug two chargers to each other?

Are the chargers "idiot proof" or smart enough to turn off when it is plugged to another charger?

Especially the USB-C chargers, since they have the same socket/port, like the Apple 20W charger and Samsung 45W charger

I'm also curious what happens if it is a USB-A charger, like the Apple 5W charger.

I imagine a decent one probably has a fuse or some way of not allowing that.
Cheap ones will probably make a nice bang however 🤣

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

Pretty much nothing should happen, that would be my guess.  But I wouldn't try it, because there's all kinds of chargers, various designs, some more stupid than others.

A charger only produces as much power as the devices connected to it require.So if you push in energy instead of taking out energy, the charger doesn't need to produce anything and will basically behave like there's nothing connected to the cable.

Inside, the chargers are kind of like this

AC input (90-230v AC) -> filtering / preventing noise from going back into mains -->  optional PFC (boost 90-230v to 400-450v DC) ->  send pulses through a high frequency transformer to produce a lower voltage on the other side)  -> rectification (convert those low voltage pulses on the other side of transformer into a dc voltage, ex 5v/9v/12v) -> capacitors (smooth out the dc voltage and provide some energy when the device connected to charger demands more power suddenly, giving time for charger to ramp up production)  --> output connector/cable

Between the rectification and the capacitors near the output there's usually a "tap", where some circuit is added to monitor the output voltage and give feedback to the chip on the high voltage side, with this signal the chip will adjust the number of pulses up and down, to keep the output voltage smooth and to the right level. 

The rectification part after the transformer is also like a one way valve, it only lets energy flow from the transformer towards the output cable. So you giving power into a charger should basically only charge up the capacitors near the output connector with some power, and maybe send some feedback signal to the chip (the chip will detect 5v or whatever even though it's idling, not producing anything because it doesn't detect any device connected to the cable)

Nothing if it's USB-C since is designed to not do anything without negotiation given the same plugs. If it's something else then it can be just about anything.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2