Would my 2080 Ti be good enough for another 2 years? (performance)

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Honestly if you wanted just a good gaming cpu? the 5800x3D would be your perfect drop in cpu after a bios update. Youd be fine for the next 5+ years, unless theres another cpu that is dramatically better and needed for games, it will be perfect for a while. You dont need the newesst and best cpu out there when you have a drop in replacement that will compete with them just fine. When 7000 series launches, look to snag a 5800x3D for a discount. Will newer be better? yes, but its a LOT more expensive because you have to buy a board+ram as well.

My monitor is 1440p 165hz, but the thing is I'm also running a Ryzen 5 2600...

I'm going to upgrade it to a Ryzen 5 7600X in order to have better performance, so that I can wait till the next GPU generation in around 2 years.

Or should I simply go for a 4070?

What are your thoughts?

Honestly if you wanted just a good gaming cpu? the 5800x3D would be your perfect drop in cpu after a bios update. Youd be fine for the next 5+ years, unless theres another cpu that is dramatically better and needed for games, it will be perfect for a while. You dont need the newesst and best cpu out there when you have a drop in replacement that will compete with them just fine. When 7000 series launches, look to snag a 5800x3D for a discount. Will newer be better? yes, but its a LOT more expensive because you have to buy a board+ram as well.

You might as well drop in a vanilla 5700 for CPU, even that would remove the CPU bottleneck out of the equitation all the way, while leaving you some cash down the pocket. Granted it will require an upgrade down a shorter period, but still... the 5800X3D is basically the last achille's heel of that platform. There is no upgrade route, I wouldn't blow that level of cash onto AM4 nowadays. So just get a 5700 and ditch AM4 all together when the time comes.

Basically ask if a 3070 will last two years. Because the 2080Ti is a 3070 with more VRAM. I have a 240Hz 1440p and to be honest a 3080 is better for this resolution than a 3070. However if you are happy with the performance from your 2080Ti then keep it or upgrade to a 4070/4080 when they are released. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

Honestly 240 is partly a wash, things are moving towards OLED and even an old CX performs like a 240 Hz at its 120... I'm not exactly seeing the point in 240 Hz monitors anymore. As if they were even ever worth to begin with, the 24's, with their awful 6-bit panels. The newer fast-IPS 8-bit ones are better, but cost close to the OLEDs, making them worse purchases.

3 hours ago, Motifator said:

Honestly 240 is partly a wash, things are moving towards OLED and even an old CX performs like a 240 Hz at its 120... I'm not exactly seeing the point in 240 Hz monitors anymore. As if they were even ever worth to begin with, the 24's, with their awful 6-bit panels. The newer fast-IPS 8-bit ones are better, but cost close to the OLEDs, making them worse purchases.

I agree with you to some degree - more than 165Hz is diminishing returns in most games. And even with a 3080Ti you cannot reach 240 FPS in a lot of games. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

Ehh skip the 7600x. Just grab a cheap 5000 series 8 core after the 7000 series launches and ride it out.

Any 5000 series 8 core is faster than the consoles so worst case you can ride out an entire console generation on it. Thats been shown over and over again. Yeah sure 6 years from now I do see it going below 100fps average when the new rx9900xtreme (or whatever it is) is out and holding back such cards but by then you probably have saved enough to upgrade 😛

I evaluate my pc on if it gets me satisfactory levels of performance every 3,5 and 7 years. Always buying to get at least 3 years out of the current config (not counting ram and storage)

My question would be that when you bought the 2080Ti, did you realize what you were buying?  Or the Ryzen 2600 for that matter.

Research would have been quite important back then,

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

18 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

My question would be that when you bought the 2080Ti, did you realize what you were buying?  Or the Ryzen 2600 for that matter.

Research would have been quite important back then,

I agree, but even tho I messed up, back then the goal was to do 3D rendering so I bought the 2080 Ti, it worked like a charm and the CPU wasn't an issue.

Now that I don't do that anymore, I simply want to game on it hehe

2 minutes ago, Hi P said:

I agree, but even tho I messed up, back then the goal was to do 3D rendering so I bought the 2080 Ti, it worked like a charm and the CPU wasn't an issue.

Now that I don't do that anymore, I simply want to game on it hehe

Right, so if you bought a 2080TI, the fastest GPU of its generation... do you think it'll perform well over 2 more years?  Again, if you knew what you were buying, you'd know the answer.

Short answer, the 2080TI is still a beast and the 2600 is still a shit CPU.  Replace the 2600.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

2 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Short answer, the 2080TI is still a beast and the 2600 is still a shit CPU.  Replace the 2600.

Based on everyone's comments, I think I'll go for a Ryzen 7000 because I want to upgrade the other components too

Then with the old components build my parents an office pc

I mean, most the comments I saw were, just update your BIOS and buy a Ryzen 5000 CPU, I agree with them.

No sense swapping it all out when you have a very good CPU to plug into the stuff you already have.

I mean, none of us can tell you how games coming out over the next 2 years are going to perform. This is really quite simple. Is the performance still adequate to what you want/need or not? There's your answer, and you just keep asking yourself that over the next two years.

What motherboard do you have? I agree with others, if supported, just update your BIOS and drop in a Zen 3 chip. If gaming is primary concern, then a 5800X3D is probably your best bet.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

Don't discount the used market, either. I've gotten some great deals used, and a used CPU with good pins will perform the same as a new one.

I just picked up a R9 3900X (still a great CPU) for the wife's machine for $180, and a R5 5600X for $130 for the media PC. And then sold the chips they replaced to get most of what I paid back.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a Ryzen 5000 (or even 3000) upgrade right now, the used market is already flooded with them.

52 minutes ago, fisterkev said:

Don't discount the used market, either. I've gotten some great deals used, and a used CPU with good pins will perform the same as a new one.

That's actually pretty interesting, what's a legit website for those things? I'd like to keep it in mind

Although, there's the fear of obtaining an "used" (nearly dead) CPU

13 minutes ago, Hi P said:

That's actually pretty interesting, what's a legit website for those things? I'd like to keep it in mind

Although, there's the fear of obtaining an "used" (nearly dead) CPU

My personal favorite is Mercari, I've gotten quite a few CPUs and other parts (a few GPUs, too) there. They've got buyer's protection, so if what they send you isn't as described (bent pins, for example) or if it doesn't work when they say it should, then you can return it. I've only ever had to return one CPU (just a dud) and the return went smoothly. I'd just recommend that you stick with sellers that already have feedback, they're generally GTG.

As far as buying used CPUs, I only buy if they've got pics of the pins (Ryzen, of course) and explicitly state that 1) there are no bent pins, and 2) the CPU works. As long as they've got that in writing, then worst case is you just return it.

You can also try OfferUp and ebay. Ebay has buyer's protection as well. Offerup does also but it's more restricted and there are more scams there. Facebook Marketplace is another option but there's a lot more of buyer beware there.

You can save a ton of money on components going used, just be smart. If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is. The guy with no feedback who just joined and is selling a 3090 ti for $250 is probably not on the level, lol.

11 minutes ago, fisterkev said:

You can also try OfferUp and ebay. Ebay has buyer's protection as well. Offerup does also but it's more restricted and there are more scams there. Facebook Marketplace is another option but there's a lot more of buyer beware there.

You're not exactly condoning them into something really good. Used is used, by the moment TIM is applied and it's been used for months, it falls into the used category. Badly applied TIM, all over the socket / CPU, misusage of force applied to heatsink. I can go on.

Also, if it's too good to be true, it's fake alone is fucking stupid. FB market and especially OfferUp are dogshit.

If you want second hand items, go look at respectable tech forum BSTs. Such as Techpowerup and Hardocp.

14 minutes ago, Motifator said:

You're not exactly condoning them into something really good. Used is used, by the moment TIM is applied and it's been used for months, it falls into the used category. Badly applied TIM, all over the socket / CPU, misusage of force applied to heatsink. I can go on.

Also, if it's too good to be true, it's fake alone is fucking stupid. FB market and especially OfferUp are dogshit.

If you want second hand items, go look at respectable tech forum BSTs. Such as Techpowerup and Hardocp.

Well it depends upon the item, the seller, the description, the platform, etc. Different components are going to wear differently, and you should take that into consideration when buying used. For example, things with fans or other moving parts are far more prone to malfunction or excessive wear. I'll always prefer a new motherboard over a used one because some mobo elements can go bad (although I've had a few new duds, too). CPUs don't generally "go bad" unless they've been abused, though - badly cooled, highly overclocked, bad installations, etc. Again, it's a "use your head situation". A good seller with a lot of positive feedback who's selling an item with a good description and good pics is generally going to give you a part exactly as described. Just don't be the guinea pig for a "new" seller...

I'd agree that OfferUp and FB marketplace are far more risky, which is why I hardly use them. But there are occasional good deals to be had there, too. Just gotta be more careful. 

I'd generally stick to Mercari and ebay for used parts because they have good buyer's protection policies. Just as with new parts, there's always a risk that you get a dud - but of course it's more likely with used parts. It's a risk you take for paying less. But if you're smart about it and don't fall for scammers then you can get a tremendous bang for your buck going used. 

If budget isn't an issue and you just want the best components then this isn't even a consideration.

16 minutes ago, fisterkev said:

ebay for used parts because they have good buyer's protection policies. Just as with new parts, there's always a risk that you get a dud - but of course it's more likely with used parts. It's a risk you take for paying less. But if you're smart about it and don't fall for scammers then you can get a tremendous bang for your buck going used. 

If budget isn't an issue and you just want the best components then this isn't even a consideration.

Ebay is another shithole, they side with sellers A LOT. They don't read the incident through / through and just side to the buyer. This happens all the time.

As a matter of fact, the tech forum approach is FAR better than any used market. It's a closed market, for example, [H]. They require 50 posts to post down there, it's mostly forum users you see down there getting rid of their old gear for cheaper prices. So it's a win win for the most part if you want to go down the used route.

Random people, even if they sold a lot and have good feedback, CAN screw you any day. I'd much rather buy something from somebody I read every day on a forum. So I'd have a general idea on them to begin with. Even Heatware alone doesn't protect you all-time. It just gives you a remorse of, less much chance of getting screwed. Considering the OP seems to have budget, I'd recommend new.

15 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Ebay is another shithole, they side with sellers A LOT. They don't read the incident through / through and just side to the buyer. This happens all the time.

As a matter of fact, the tech forum approach is FAR better than any used market. It's a closed market, for example, [H]. They require 50 posts to post down there, it's mostly forum users you see down there getting rid of their old gear for cheaper prices. So it's a win win for the most part if you want to go down the used route.

Random people, even if they sold a lot and have good feedback, CAN screw you any day. I'd much rather buy something from somebody I read every day on a forum. So I'd have a general idea on them to begin with. Even Heatware alone doesn't protect you all-time. It just gives you a remorse of, less much chance of getting screwed. Considering the OP seems to have budget, I'd recommend new.

Nothing wrong with buying from established tech forum members, that's another potential source. I've had good luck with Mercari and ebay though, as have many others, so that's a potential source as well.

If OP has the budget for new parts and doesn't mind paying new prices in retail, then that's the way to go. You'll get warranty support that way as well as support from the platform/seller. I'm just pointing out that if he's willing to go used, it's possible to get far more bang for your buck than buying new. In his situation it could be the difference between getting a mid-tier CPU and a top-tier CPU; I think that's worth looking into, that's all.

Some people aren't comfortable buying used. I get that, it's understandable. Of course there's extra risk involved. But if someone is OK doing it, then the deals are out there to be had. 

Just now, fisterkev said:

Nothing wrong with buying from established tech forum members, that's another potential source. I've had good luck with Mercari and ebay though, as have many others, so that's a potential source as well.

If OP has the budget for new parts and doesn't mind paying new prices in retail, then that's the way to go. You'll get warranty support that way as well as support from the platform/seller. I'm just pointing out that if he's willing to go used, it's possible to get far more bang for your buck than buying new. In his situation it could be the difference between getting a mid-tier CPU and a top-tier CPU; I think that's worth looking into, that's all.

Some people aren't comfortable buying used. I get that, it's understandable. Of course there's extra risk involved. But if someone is OK doing it, then the deals are out there to be had. 

I pretty much only buy things I can't buy new, used.

When new is available and I got the budget, new all the way. No dealing with idiots.

Just now, Motifator said:

I pretty much only buy things I can't buy new, used.

When new is available and I got the budget, new all the way. No dealing with idiots.

Yes, but there are a lot of people whose budget doesn't allow for it. Budget isn't an issue for some, but it is for many. It seems that OP has a budget.

My personal, main rig has all new, upper-tier parts (new when bought, that is). But the other PCs in the house are a hodge-podge of new and used parts of varying tiers for varying purposes. I've bought enough used parts to be comfortable with doing it, and they all work. *shrug*