Ups suggestions to deal with grounding issues - voltage sag in old apartment?

MBisFrenchy

Hi All, 

Have a friend at an apartment where when they turn on some appliances the lights get brighter and dimmer so something is up with the electric. Yes they told the landlord and they had someone come and the claimed to have changed the ground, but still happens.

Their concern is their TV and pc dieing they could care less about the appliances going as that's their problem. 

I was doing some quick reading on UPS's is there a specific line or model type that helps deal with these issues so their TV and PC aren't affected? They've mysteriously had multiple bulbs die in less than 30 days so something is up. 

26 minutes ago, MBisFrenchy said:

I was doing some quick reading on UPS's is there a specific line or model type that helps deal with these issues so their TV and PC aren't affected?

Specifically they want a line interactive unit or an Online unit. Line Interactive will be cheaper. Ive owned both Cyber Power and APC models. APC is a bit better in my opinion. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, Caroline said:

our friends have to find the real cause of the issue not patch it with an UPS, ask them what appliances cause the lights to dim, what kind of light bulbs they're using, if there are broken switches and wall sockets... 

Not sure where you live. But the OP said Apartment complex, meaning its the landlords problem. The landlord doesnt seem to want to fix the issue. The OP's friend wouldn't probably be legally allowed to fix it themselves.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

huh? why? ground/earthing has nothing to do with that, I can tell just by those 2 things you've mentioned

what's the mains voltage?

now if I was there I'd use a multimeter to measure voltage at different points in the circuit: CU, breaker/fuse box, wall sockets, ceiling ligths... those issues aren't caused by bad earthing. When appliances are turned on and the lights dim that's usually due to wiring issues: inappropiate C-SA (gauge), bad or excessive splices, bad circuit planning with 3+ wires converging into a single one, lights and sockets wired in series... there's a lot of reasons and none is related to ground so my advice is: no UPS.

Your friends have to find the real cause of the issue not patch it with an UPS, ask them what appliances cause the lights to dim, what kind of light bulbs they're using, if there are broken switches and wall sockets... 

With a UPS, the instability of the electricity would be negated

(Uninterruptible Power Supply)

The voltage swings are by their nature Interrupting the supply of power. Why do you think an SEM or TEM  has a UPS, it needs perfectly clean and stable power delivery.

I'd check the actual voltage. There is a minimum it needs to read to be up to code, so there is something the landlord may have to do. Id check it before buying anything. Though a ups can help stabilize the voltage which will keep things healthy. But they aren't a line conditioner in that aspect.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 9/11/2022 at 8:16 PM, Donut417 said:

Specifically they want a line interactive unit or an Online unit. Line Interactive will be cheaper. Ive owned both Cyber Power and APC models. APC is a bit better in my opinion. 

Thank you I'll look into this. 

On 9/11/2022 at 9:06 PM, Caroline said:

huh? why? ground/earthing has nothing to do with that, I can tell just by those 2 things you've mentioned

what's the mains voltage?

now if I was there I'd use a multimeter to measure voltage at different points in the circuit: CU, breaker/fuse box, wall sockets, ceiling ligths... those issues aren't caused by bad earthing. When appliances are turned on and the lights dim that's usually due to wiring issues: inappropiate C-SA (gauge), bad or excessive splices, bad circuit planning with 3+ wires converging into a single one, lights and sockets wired in series... there's a lot of reasons and none is related to ground so my advice is: no UPS.

Your friends have to find the real cause of the issue not patch it with an UPS, ask them what appliances cause the lights to dim, what kind of light bulbs they're using, if there are broken switches and wall sockets... 

I'm replying late because they just got back to me, it's when their Breville toaster turns on the lights get brighter and dimmer. I had them try multiple outlets and we know one of them is really messed up so they changed outlets. The bulbs that keep dieing are Philips brand 150 watt but I use the same ones at my home no issues for years so maybe those bulbs are more sensitive? The light fixtures are all new. Also they are located in NY. Landlord paid for all outlet and light switches to be replaced inside and outside of apartment along with the person claiming to replace the ground in electrical box for the apartment and it's 110V.

On 9/12/2022 at 12:08 PM, Mick Naughty said:

I'd check the actual voltage. There is a minimum it needs to read to be up to code, so there is something the landlord may have to do. Id check it before buying anything. Though a ups can help stabilize the voltage which will keep things healthy. But they aren't a line conditioner in that aspect.

What tool would suggest to check that? 

1 hour ago, MBisFrenchy said:

What tool would suggest to check that? 

A normal volt meter, they make a few versions that are made to stick in outlets easier. I tend to do it at the actual meter which would be best case scenario, though I'm sure isnt practical for everyone.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz