Asus 9 pin JSPI header to sop8

So been trying to fix a non working mobo Asus h270 pro and it was suggested to me the bios chip might be dead. It was after removing it and testing nothing. I had a spare on hand but destroyed the pads with too much heat so now trying to adapt the bios header(jdpi) to SOP8.

Perhaps a clever person could make a PCB design I could order from PCBway 馃檪

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, crazyfrog said:

So been trying to fix a non working mobo Asus h270 pro and it was suggested to me the bios chip might be dead. It was after removing it and testing nothing. I had a spare on hand but destroyed the pads with too much heat so now trying to adapt the bios header(jdpi) to SOP8.

image.jpg

That look like it was under a blowtorch o_O
I'd just use Dupont jumper wire ?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

7 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

That look like it was under a blowtorch o_O
I'd just use Dupont jumper wire ?

Yeah I know no movement so just kept upping temperature. I even know how to solder just out of leaded solder.
The spacing on the jspi is 2.0mm whereas the common adaptor boards that come with the bios programmers like my ch341a is 2.54mm so the jumper wire would have a weak connection and always have issues.聽

if I were setup with some PCB software I鈥檇 love to just make an adaptor board I could solder the new bios chip to then slide onto the jspi header.

4 hours ago, crazyfrog said:

image.jpg

Always wondered what those holes on my ch341a adapter board are, didnt even know you could use the spi header as pads for the bios chip, i thought those were only for programming the bios chip

Hold up if the spi headers themselves can be used as a slot for the bios chip with an adapter, then couldnt i just solder the female end of a dupont jumper wire on the adapter board and now have a removable bios chip (after soldering bios chip onto adaptr board)? Just need to put a male to male adapter on it when i need to flash, very useful for me since i play around alot with bios crossflashing shenanigans

You could have simply used a de-soldering pump for this. A lot of decent solder kits come with one.聽

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Always wondered what those holes on my ch341a adapter board are, didnt even know you could use the spi header as pads for the bios chip, i thought those were only for programming the bios chip

Hold up if the spi headers themselves can be used as a slot for the bios chip with an adapter, then couldnt i just solder the female end of a dupont jumper wire on the adapter board and now have a removable bios chip (after soldering bios chip onto adaptr board)? Just need to put a male to male adapter on it when i need to flash, very useful for me since i play around alot with bios crossflashing shenanigans

If I use dupoint wire on a chip it鈥檚 going to give a really weak connection that will fail eventually added to that if the connection gets caught or case moved it would leave me trouble shooting.聽
Also the header layout is different to regular spi

https://elmorlabs.com/forum/topic/spi-header-pinouts/

1 hour ago, Guest 5150 said:

You could have simply used a de-soldering pump for this. A lot of decent solder kits come with one.聽

Already stated I can solder not the long term fix I鈥檓 looking for聽

1 minute ago, crazyfrog said:

Already stated I can solder not the long term fix I鈥檓 looking for聽

Oh, sorry. I see what you was trying to do better after reading it again.

Well. The easiest way to recover a bad flash on an Asus board is by using the recovery CD that came with the board. You slap that in a reader and even with a non working bios, the board will post. Then you navigate to bios recovery and flash the factory shipped bios back onto the board.

This method is old as F and the number 1 suggestion in the Asus bios recovery pages of all the hand books.

What you are trying to accomplish seems over kill for a simple recovery.聽

In short bios chips almost never go bad. And that's coming from a guy who's LNed many processors on many boards with modified bios's.

The other alternative, cause the board looks cooked now anyways.... call it a day, junk it and move onto something else.

3 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

Oh, sorry. I see what you was trying to do better after reading it again.

Well. The easiest way to recover a bad flash on an Asus board is by using the recovery CD that came with the board. You slap that in a reader and even with a non working bios, the board will post. Then you navigate to bios recovery and flash the factory shipped bios back onto the board.

This method is old as F and the number 1 suggestion in the Asus bios recovery pages of all the hand books.

What you are trying to accomplish seems over kill for a simple recovery.聽

In short bios chips almost never go bad. And that's coming from a guy who's LNed many processors on many boards with modified bios's.

The other alternative, cause the board looks cooked now anyways.... call it a day, junk it and move onto something else.

That鈥檚 not helpful at all. The bios chip is bad not corrupted it wouldn鈥檛 read using my sop8 clip which is why I attempted to remove it. Soldered directly to the board(new chip pictured) it won鈥檛 read either it鈥檚 dead.

16 minutes ago, crazyfrog said:

That鈥檚 not helpful at all. The bios chip is bad not corrupted it wouldn鈥檛 read using my sop8 clip which is why I attempted to remove it. Soldered directly to the board(new chip pictured) it won鈥檛 read either it鈥檚 dead.

I know I know.聽

It's bad because you couldn't read from it.聽

When a bios isn't readable, you flash it to recover it. Not rely on saying oh it doesn't read I should remove it from the board.聽

Need better diagnostics than that to convince me the chip just went bad and you had to remove it..... it's probably the most reliable part on the board.

I'm sorry but the pic shows the soldering equivalent of a "Smoking Crater", the board you were trying to solder in place is kinda crispy-crittered itself around the edges.....
And you say you know how to solder? 馃

Seriously I must ask - What equipment were you using to even attempt this work?

Hey, I'm know I'm being critical here but at the same time the evidence of what's there now speaks for itself in so many ways to that end - There's no denying it.

The outer layer of the board's PCB has been cooked to the point it's missing it's outer coating in at least one spot (Exposed copper tracing), the board's surface even looks wavy in one spot (Delaminated PCB layers) I'm seeing a copper strand (hair?) where the jumper legs are above where the BIOS chip was with the leg of a jumper pin with a lean to it.....

That board IS toast now if it wasn't before.

The board itself is only good for soldering practice but that's about it now - From the evidence seen in the pic you ain't fixing that one.
If you somehow manage to get it working again I'd have to call you one lucky duck.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

I know I know.聽

It's bad because you couldn't read from it.聽

When a bios isn't readable, you flash it to recover it. Not rely on saying oh it doesn't read I should remove it from the board.聽

Need better diagnostics than that to convince me the chip just went bad and you had to remove it..... it's probably the most reliable part on the board.

I know you would flash to recover but the bios chip isn鈥檛 writeable either it鈥檚 not even detectable. I don鈥檛 need to convince you boss.聽

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I'm sorry but the pic shows the soldering equivalent of a "Smoking Crater", the board you were trying to solder in place is kinda crispy-crittered itself around the edges.....
And you say you know how to solder? 馃

Seriously I must ask - What equipment were you using to even attempt this work?

Hey, I'm know I'm being critical here but at the same time the evidence of what's there now speaks for itself in so many ways to that end - There's no denying it.

The outer layer of the board's PCB has been cooked to the point it's missing it's outer coating in at least one spot (Exposed copper tracing), the board's surface even looks wavy in one spot (Delaminated PCB layers) I'm seeing a copper strand (hair?) where the jumper legs are above where the BIOS chip was with the leg of a jumper pin with a lean to it.....

That board IS toast now if it wasn't before.

The board itself is only good for soldering practice but that's about it now - From the evidence seen in the pic you ain't fixing that one.
If you somehow manage to get it working again I'd have to call you one lucky duck.

Yep bad soldering as I said I just turning up the temperature and obviously the board didn鈥檛 like it.聽
I鈥檓 used to working on MacBooks which need a lot more heat but know to add leaded solder to reduce the melting point. Annoyingly I鈥檝e desoldered the same sop8 bios chips from a z370-a and z170-a to run a QTJ2 and QTj1.

3 hours ago, crazyfrog said:

Yep bad soldering as I said I just turning up the temperature and obviously the board didn鈥檛 like it.聽
I鈥檓 used to working on MacBooks which need a lot more heat but know to add leaded solder to reduce the melting point. Annoyingly I鈥檝e desoldered the same sop8 bios chips from a z370-a and z170-a to run a QTJ2 and QTj1.

What equipment did you use for this work?

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

19 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

What equipment did you use for this work?

Why it鈥檚 not the equipment it鈥檚 the usage as I鈥檝e already said.

2 hours ago, crazyfrog said:

Why it鈥檚 not the equipment it鈥檚 the usage as I鈥檝e already said.

I'm not doubting the useage - That's beyond clear by the results, I'm just asking what did you use to try it with.