The Only Computer I Need

Plouffe

Need a laptop for taking notes? Want a portable handheld powerhouse? The GPD WIN Max 2 is impressing us left right and center but when you take your shot at the Steam Deck you best not miss.

Check out the GPD WIN Max 2: https://lmg.gg/csFLj

Buy a Steam Deck: https://lmg.gg/VNaLA

Buy an Aya Neo: https://lmg.gg/U9FWG

Buy Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 Gaming Box: https://geni.us/QQY7

Is this video sponsored by GPD? It says #ad right above the title for me, but I don't see anything in the video disclosing that. Did I miss the disclosure? (In which case it should be more obvious IMO) Or is Youtube being funky with that hashtag?

I feel like it compromises just a bit too much as both a handheld gaming device and a laptop to be a really good version of either, and the pen is a strange and not very useful inclusion without some sort of tablet or fold flat mode imo.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

This thing reminds me of the Sony Clié UX50, my favorite tech i ever owned:

030926bg0101.jpg.7e2660c5ffde1ef1ccc274fea12ec27e.jpg

Also build quality looks horrible on the GPD

44672933_Screenshot2022-09-06at19_49_38.png.3150bb859275c53b8a480bfb12df2cab.png 

30 minutes ago, zweilinkehaende said:

Is this video sponsored by GPD? It says #ad right above the title for me, but I don't see anything in the video disclosing that. Did I miss the disclosure? (In which case it should be more obvious IMO) Or is Youtube being funky with that hashtag?

Came here to ask the same question. This video seems incredibly dishonest and it's most definitely not disclosed more obviously on purpose, not to mention the video has two other sponsors as well. GPD also has a terrible track record for their customer support, changing parts after release, not responding to RMAs etc., stuff LTT would absolutely crucify any other manufacturer for, except for when they pay good money for an ad, it seems.

Hugely disapponted by this, as LTT was usually quite trustworthy and upfront with their sponsorship until now.

image.png.214a0f2c9a9c2e649e08f85aee063bef.png

The #ad on the video is after the rocksmith+ message, not sure what this means but let's not jump straight to the conclusion that Linus has lost his moral code, also GPD, ayaneo, and others have sent him devices that were looked at in a similar matter and were not sponsored. They also include links to other handhelds in the description and I don't believe a sponsor would have allowed them to do that. They would also normally mark it as sponsored on floatplane and as of 19:25 UK Time they haven't.

However, with this said, I believe that LMG should simply come out and be honest, especially in light of the scandal, deserving or not, around their stance on the backpack warranty and also defects in screwdriver at the pop-up shop, even though that second one was handled well with instant disclosure and replacements offered to all owners regardless of whether or not they are affected.

I found this a really confusing video, and while Linus keeps saying how it compares to other stuff "for the price", the price itself is stated nowhere. I would've liked to see more in depth information about the hardware, but as this video is now it's the middle between an ad and a teardown, and it's not very good at all.

1 hour ago, MLConian said:

while Linus keeps saying how it compares to other stuff "for the price", the price itself is stated nowhere.

Least I wasn't the only one that got to the end and was like... what was the price for this thing?  And then when I clicked the link to go check it out, its a kick starter product!?!?!  and OVER a whopping $3200!  

HOLY SHIT no wonder he doesn't mention the price.   And how do you forget to mention its a kickstarter product (oh sorry, "crowd funded") that you cant even buy right now, much less if we will ever see the device delivered as "reviewed".  (like that's never happened before)

3 hours ago, zweilinkehaende said:

Judging from the space there I think it was meant to be a hashtag for vague YouTube reasons, but they accidentally put a space in the middle of it and broke it, leading to show up in the description. I assume it's just referring to the Rocksmith and Zoho CRM ads.

3 hours ago, schmism said:

Least I wasn't the only one that got to the end and was like... what was the price for this thing?  And then when I clicked the link to go check it out, its a kick starter product!?!?!  and OVER a whopping $3200!  

HOLY SHIT no wonder he doesn't mention the price.   And how do you forget to mention its a kickstarter product (oh sorry, "crowd funded") that you cant even buy right now, much less if we will ever see the device delivered as "reviewed".  (like that's never happened before)

Where are you seeing the price? On the linked Indegogo, the price is $1049-$1349. Given, its still pricier than the top-spec Deck, but its nowhere close to the price of the Asus foldable laptop.  

Huh. That's weird. Doesn't look "bezel-less" to me. Sensationalist deceptive marketing is sensationalizing.

At least it has something that many $1000+ laptops don't have though: a full-size SD card slot!

image.thumb.png.0c4d4612376c2d965e16a4f031f6aecf.png

image.thumb.png.f5030519beabcba55f47917e91017f9c.png

image.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

This is a pretty good video.  There was a time where the only computer I had was a first generation Surface Pro.  It was not great for gaming but it was all I had.  I could see a device like this being the only computer I'd need in college.  Especially IF I can fold back the screen.  If I was living that van life I'd go for something like this. 

I feel like it compromises just a bit too much as both a handheld gaming device and a laptop to be a really good version of either, and the pen is a strange and not very useful inclusion without some sort of tablet or fold flat mode imo.

I had an original Win Max and it was a terrific little computer that could play any indie game, up to 2016-era AAA game at middling settings, and emulate up to PS2 or Wii comfortably. These devices are for couch gamers and for people who like small computers who prefer to have one multi-function device rather than 2-3 single task devices.

This video seems incredibly dishonest and it's most definitely not disclosed more obviously on purpose, not to mention the video has two other sponsors as well. GPD also has a terrible track record for their customer support, changing parts after release, not responding to RMAs etc., stuff LTT would absolutely crucify any other manufacturer for, except for when they pay good money for an ad, it seems.

Dishonest how exactly? If you're going to make accusations back them up. GPD doesn't pay for reviews, although they do let reviewers keep the devices. Linus likes GPD products and this video is on par with his usual level of excitement about them.

Re: support, I can only speak from personal experience, but with my Win Max 1, I emailed GPD about a faulty display, and they sent me replacement LCDs twice (the first replacement solved the original issue, the second replacement was a wrong diagnosis on my part--turned out to be a software issue). Granted I had to do the repairs myself but that was preferable to mailing it all the way to Shenzen.

There's always a tradeoff when working with small Chinese outfits like GPD, AYA, AYN, One Netbook, etc, but GPD has been responsive to me.

And then when I clicked the link to go check it out, its a kick starter product!?!?!  and OVER a whopping $3200!  

Um... dude, you're looking at the amount raised so far. That's not the price of the device. It's $1050 for the base model.

image.png.7b25dda8d3f2ba3bd2ae4cc462581346.png

Huh. That's weird. Doesn't look "bezel-less" to me.

Yeah GPD be like that sometimes. But to be fair, the bezel is a huge improvement over the last gen, which you could land a plane on.

14 minutes ago, TypingCat said:

Um... dude, you're looking at the amount raised so far. That's not the price of the device. It's $1050 for the base model.

image.png.7b25dda8d3f2ba3bd2ae4cc462581346.png

Yep, 100% miss read the front page of the croundfund site.

• 3 months later...

How he managed to get it to work with aorus 3080 gaming box, I have one and always getting disconnect/connect issue with WM2 (tried thunderbolt 3 and 4 cables with same issue) 

Please if anyone has the same issue and managed to solve it please reply to me.