What operating system for 12400f?

ItzUknown

As the title implies I would like to know whether I should install windows 10 or windows 11 on my pc that has an i5 12400f. I know that for 12th gen win.11 is preferred because it can utilize the e-cores and p-cores better than win.10. What concerns me though is that the 12400f has just 6 cores. Should I install win 11 anyways or just stick to 10?

Both should be fine, use whichever you prefer.

Mark my answer as solution if it answered your question :). Quote or tag me so I get notified of your reply.

CPU: i5-10400F | GPU: Powercolor RX 6600 Fighter 8GB | SSD: WD Black SN770 1TB, Crucial MX500 500GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x (2018) | Motherboard: ASRock B460M Pro4 | Case: Antec DP301M | Monitor: AOC C24G2U & Samsung SR35 | Headset: Corsair Virtuoso | Keyboard: Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G703 | Mousepad: Steelseries QCK Edge XL

20 minutes ago, ItzUknown said:

What concerns me though is that the 12400f has just 6 cores.

With no e-cores the fancy new task scheduler in windows 11 won't make a difference. although the difference is pretty small regardless, and where it really matters for most users, gaming performance, it doesn't make a difference at all.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Trash beauty:

Xeon X5550RX 570 4GB (defective) -Fattydove Racing 240GB - WD Blue 320GBHP Z400 - 6x2GB DDR3 1066 - EVGA 450W3

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

From what I've heard about Win11 and observed through others' posts seeking help with issues with it here, I wouldn't use that dumpster fire on a calculator. It's pretty well known by now that Microsloth hasn't gotten anything right the first, second, third, or fourteen-thousandth time since the days of XP.

I've already disabled Win10 updates because of Microsoft pestering me about my 'free upgrade' to Win11 waiting. Don't want it, don't want to know about it. I just got my machine running as it should after four months of chasing my tail over a QVL issue. I'm not about to let Microsloth screw it up again.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

4 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

Both should be fine, use whichever you prefer.

Ok thank you! I'll stick to win 10.

4 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

install gentoo

What's gentoo?

4 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

With no e-cores the fancy new task scheduler in windows 11 won't make a difference. although the difference is pretty small regardless, and where it really matters for most users, gaming performance, it doesn't make a difference at all.

Ok thank you! I'll stick to win 10.

4 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

From what I've heard about Win11 and observed through others' posts seeking help with issues with it here, I wouldn't use that dumpster fire on a calculator. It's pretty well known by now that Microsloth hasn't gotten anything right the first, second, third, or fourteen-thousandth time since the days of XP.

I've already disabled Win10 updates because of Microsoft pestering me about my 'free upgrade' to Win11 waiting. Don't want it, don't want to know about it. I just got my machine running as it should after four months of chasing my tail over a QVL issue. I'm not about to let Microsloth screw it up again.

Sadly windows have a lot of problems... I still remember when it wanted me to upgrade to win 11 when my pc didn't "meet" the minimum requirements. I'll stick to win 10. 

P.s I thought of using linux but I find it a bit more tricky