Can i use RGB fans here?

GerardAlvarado

So I am planning what is kind of a big upgrade, here's the link https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4ZCP78 and i realized that the case I chose uses RGB front fans, i checked and it seems like the Motherboard has no RGB headers, can i still use the RGB fans on the case? it does come with an RGB included hub but I'm not sure.

The motherboard is an ASRock B365M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard and the case is an Asus TUF Gaming GT301 ATX Mid Tower Case

i don't want to blow anything up so im asking to make sure i don't try to plug something i cant actually plug in.

You need to research the controller that is in your case and see the rgb leds are controlled by the motherboard or if you get something like a remote for the controller included in the box. there are some controllers that can be controlled by remotes and some that don't

I'd pick a different case. This one does comes with an RGB hub, it sits on the back of the motherboard. You can plug in the aRGB headers from the fans into this, and then the button on the front panel controls the RGB. I'm not sure whether you'd need an Asus motherboard with Aura Sync to control these fans, or if simply installing the Aura Sync software and hooking the controller up through USB would be enough. Regardless though, these are not PMW fans, and at this pricepoint I find that unacceptable.

Does the case come with specific fans, or is it empty? Being that it is an Asus Tuf case, likely any included fans will only work with Asus Aura. Which means an Asus board with Aura can control them with its RGB headers.

While this board does not have RGB headers, it does have multiple USB headers. Corsair's Lighting Node Core and Commander Core / Pro use SATA power and motherboard USB header control via Corsair's iCUE software. Corsair's RGB and control is 5V ARGB instead of typical 12V used by most. And their fans mount and function like any other, so they can be used in most any case. In some situations, Corsair controllers can control non-Corsair devices also. No guarantees this will work without some adapting, though. PirateDogTech may have some answers.

If the case you've chosen isn't imperative, you might consider a Corsair 4000X. Includes three SP120 RGB fans and a Lighting Node Core for about $130 USD. A 3-pack of SP120s to round it out run about $70-$90, and I used a pair of Cable Matters 3-way PWM splitters to run six of these fans from my ASRock B450M-HDV,'s two headers, which should work nicely for your situation.  A 4000D Airflow is about $110 USD, but only includes two fans.

If a Fractal case becomes an alternate possibility, let me know.  I recently got a Fractal Pop XL Air that included four brand-new Fractal Aspect 12 RGBs (not widely available for add-ons just yet). I already had a full Corsair setup, so I don't need them. Any reasonable offer over shipping costs.

So, in summary, your easiest solution is the cheapest Asus Aura-capable board, if you're really stuck on this case, or a different case that lends itself more to its own control system. Either that, or get a bare-bones case and install a complete aftermarket universal setup.

Personally, I like the Corsair setup, and prefer the LL series, though they don't support Zero RPM (not a deal-breaker for me), and I think the SPs may flow better at speed. The iCUE software has a lot of customization options and the setup has a bit of expansion capabilities as well. Individual fans average $25-$30 USD, three-packs range $65-$95, and usually come with a Lighting Node Core. And, of course, their cases come with a Lighting Node Core and two to three fans. So it does sort of give you a head start. Nodes average around $15-$25 USD, Commanders average around $50 USD.

To explain the Corsair system, Lighting Node Cores can control up to six of one type of Corsair RGB fan (all SP, all LL, etc., but not a mix), but do not feature PWM for power. Commander Core and Pro integrate RGB control with PWM control for any combination of up to six devices. Some have external thermal probe ports for adding thermal sensors to CPU coolers, GPU waterblocks, etc. Lighting Node Pro can control two Node Cores or Commanders, allowing you to establish separate arrays of Lighting Node Cores or Commander Core / Pro that can still function as one. So if you go crazy with RGB one day, it can handle whatever you throw at it.

Example. You have an insane setup with twelve fans and a couple lighting strips. One Node Pro could control the two Node Cores or Commanders (or mix of the two) to control your fan RGB. Another Node Pro could control your RGB lighting strips. And iCUE software has a Lighting Link section that would allow all of this to be individually addressable or function in unison as though it were one setup. Oh, and iCUE software also features Asus Aura compatibility for many Asus Aura devices as well. I don't know if that means it can control this case's fans directly without an Asus Aura board, but it might be worth looking into.

So all that said, your choices are:

Keep the case, likely have to get an Asus board with Aura capabilities.

Keep case and board, install a Corsair or some other aftermarket setup.

Fractal case, with which I can help with additional fans.

A Corsair case that's already halfway there and pre-wired.

Feel free to PM me if the Fractal option appeals to you... GamersNexus did a nice review on the Pop series recently, if you're thinking about that, I suggest you watch it -- lots of good info.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

My GF has the same case. It's a great case. The RGB controller can be controlled with either any of the 3 pin aRGB headers on motherboards OR it has some effects and colours built in that can be controlled with a button on the front.  the controller itself has 6 normal aRGB headers on it three of which will be occupied by the front fans.  So you'll even have room for three more aRGB fans (like for a tower cooler or AIO with the standard aRGB connector)

This is a great review on it

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!