Rtx 3080ti stuttering

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone would be able to help. I’m currently using a brand new desktop I had a tech store build for me, my specs are rtx 3080ti, i9 9900k, 32gb ddr4 3600mhz ram, 2td hdd and 512gb m.2 ssd, I’m currently running on a 1080p 60hz monitor and switching to a 240hz 1440p very soon as I know my gpu is overkill for this monitor, I have noticed ever since getting this pc to have these micro stuffers, some games worse than others and some games more often than others. Some games I play are very old and some are new, it doesn’t seem that graphics are causing this as if I run on ultra or on low I still get these stutters and seems to happen more when I move fast or new ish areas load. I feel like with a pc this strong I shouldn’t get stutters. Ps5 are worse specs and performance is smoother so why have this power and get constant stutters. I have been trying to get help and tried many things now for almost a year of frustration and still can’t figure this out and it drives me insane. I’ve formatted, re installed drivers (running windows 11) also for what that matters but the only somewhat close change I’ve had is that I used to run my games on my 2tb hdd but not I’ve moved the main game I play to my m.2 ssd and I shuffle the games I main play to my ssd and it seems in some games to have reduced if not completely removed the stutter, however I still get them at times in still many games. Horizon zero dawn was a bad one until I moved it to the ssd then it became smooth but something as lame as a free game on epic, submerge hidden depths for example stutters all the time no matter where it’s installed and what graphic settings I have, I’ve tried so many games and most do the same and I can’t find a fix to this and I’m going insane, if vsync is off I’ll get example 150fps and drops to 142fps then back up but if I have sync and capped at 60 it’ll drop to like 52 for a second then spike back to constant 60 until the next spike, I see it as a frame spike on the rtss graph. I have no clue how to fix this and still looking for help, could be defective ram or my i9 9900k being bottleneck idk. I did get my pieces in the mail from delivery then had it built by a tech company but otherwise everything seems to run fine and it’s not like I’m not getting good fps but it just always drops. Any help of suggestions would be amazing as I’m going crazy. 

I also thought for a while maybe my monitor was the problem with this card pushing way past 60 even with v sync but I tried my friends 1440p 144hz and still does it, I’ve also ruled out my gpu as I was nervous my 3080ti could be defective, I had my friend lend me his gtx 1060 6gb card and is only an 8 or a 6 pin if I recall and the stutter was still doing the same in mostly the same games with lower fps and even on medium graphics for a constant 60fps I still had those spikes, I saw some people say an 850w power supply could be the issue but because I ran the 1060 and still the issue was there I think I can rule out the psu as well, leaving me with ram and processor probably, not sure if I should bring it to a tech to verify and how much this would end up costing me and if they would even be able to figure this out. I had a choice between a console and a pc and went pc because of “much better” but I payed about 4x the price and this is bothering me so much. If anyone can help I’m open to suggestions.

thanks,

With that much video card and that little monitor it would make a certain amount of sense to do frame limiting.  Are you?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

With that much video card and that little monitor it would make a certain amount of sense to do frame limiting.  Are you?

What do you mean by frame limiting? I turn on v sync and it caps out at 60fps, I do have rtss but I don’t currently have it locked to any fps, are you saying I should have v sync lock to 60 and then on top of that set rtss also to 60 or something?

Not sure what games you are playing but using v sync is a pretty horrible experience. 
I have a similar setup with my 9900k and a 3090 on 1080. 
Only issue with mine was using hwinfo while gaming. 
How’s the cpu running in game and is the ram running at its rated speed?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

13 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Not sure what games you are playing but using v sync is a pretty horrible experience. 
I have a similar setup with my 9900k and a 3090 on 1080. 
Only issue with mine was using hwinfo while gaming. 
How’s the cpu running in game and is the ram running at its rated speed?

Cpu seems to run mostly well from what I can tell, with vsync it doesn’t need to do much so mostly in 40% sometimes lower or higher but temps are good and seems to utilize it well, as for ram I think it’s ok as well, I don’t recall checking it’s running speed lately when gaming, I do have xmp and oc genie on in my bios but I did this way after the stuttering and was an attempt to see if it would fix it thinking my ram or processor weren’t pushing enough but yeah idk, I also noticed tonight it seems more games that I play that I get from epic game launcher stutter more than the ones on steam, however I can’t rule out that epic is the issue either because some on steam do the same, I’ve tried setting the games to real time or high priority also and still doesn’t change, with vsync I notice the stutters very well because how smooth it is then freezes for a second but without sync on when looking around in a game I can go from 180fps and drop to 98 fps in split second and makes it feel like a stutter but maybe it isn’t and vsync is the problem, I have no clue anymore and feel like I’m going crazy lol.

3 hours ago, Axels100 said:

What do you mean by frame limiting? I turn on v sync and it caps out at 60fps, I do have rtss but I don’t currently have it locked to any fps, are you saying I should have v sync lock to 60 and then on top of that set rtss also to 60 or something?

A lot of games will have a “limit frames to X fps” in their options.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

A lot of games will have a “limit frames to X fps” in their options.

Yeah I’ve tried the in game frame cap and still same thing 😞

It seems the more I look into this the more the stutters aren’t random but when rendering more objects or loading a new part of a map. For example I play Valhalla and constant stable 60 but as soon as I go over a mountain or something I get 1 spike when looking at the other side  but then because all is loaded after that and I can run around in the already loaded area it’s stable for a long long time or until I look somewhere else that has to render but then in games that move faster and have to load areas much more I get much more stuttering. Not sure what part would affect this if would be cpu. 

7 minutes ago, Axels100 said:

It seems the more I look into this the more the stutters aren’t random but when rendering more objects or loading a new part of a map. For example I play Valhalla and constant stable 60 but as soon as I go over a mountain or something I get 1 spike when looking at the other side  but then because all is loaded after that and I can run around in the already loaded area it’s stable for a long long time or until I look somewhere else that has to render but then in games that move faster and have to load areas much more I get much more stuttering. Not sure what part would affect this if would be cpu. 

What storage are you running? Is it maybe a mechanical HD?  Also do you have more than 8gig of memory?

Do you have any programs in the background spiking the CPU? Run task manager and sort by CPU, then GPU, then disk usage to see if anything is spiking either of those when you are gaming. Make sure Xbox Game Bar is disabled, especially the DVR function.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Do you have any programs in the background spiking the CPU? Run task manager and sort by CPU, then GPU, then disk usage to see if anything is spiking either of those when you are gaming. Make sure Xbox Game Bar is disabled, especially the DVR function.

Nothing seems to spike, I have my games running on an m.2 ssd and I have more than 200gb left of space, I’ve got 32gb ram and 12gb gpu ram, I’ve checked all these things so many times to see if anything like another task could be causing this in the back but my comp is freshly formatted and I don’t have much on it, no anti virus other than windows defender, game bar is already disabled and even the overlay in gforce experience is disabled, some people said something as small as a mouse or keyboard or even usb could cause stutters, I had device manager open to see if anything refreshes but nothing is colliding with my pcs performance so I’m at a lost, I reached out to a tech store today and they’ve already did multiple tests on my pc and ruled out my gpu, which I’m glad since I payed so much and was worried that was the issue but it’s not, I’ll wait to see what they come up with, they will diagnose my pc and see where it’s coming from once and for all, I hope 🙂 thanks for all the help regardless, I see so many people with these issues and seems no one really knows, maybe if I find my answer for my pc I’ll post here so others could see if it’s the same for them.

So you keep saying everything is good but, havent seen any data on that. Gpu and cpu use per core. What is the cpu running at while gaming? Clock and temp after an extended period. 
Does it do it on benchmarks as well? 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 minutes ago, Axels100 said:

Nothing seems to spike, I have my games running on an m.2 ssd and I have more than 200gb left of space, I’ve got 32gb ram and 12gb gpu ram, I’ve checked all these things so many times to see if anything like another task could be causing this in the back but my comp is freshly formatted and I don’t have much on it, no anti virus other than windows defender, game bar is already disabled and even the overlay in gforce experience is disabled, some people said something as small as a mouse or keyboard or even usb could cause stutters, I had device manager open to see if anything refreshes but nothing is colliding with my pcs performance so I’m at a lost, I reached out to a tech store today and they’ve already did multiple tests on my pc and ruled out my gpu, which I’m glad since I payed so much and was worried that was the issue but it’s not, I’ll wait to see what they come up with, they will diagnose my pc and see where it’s coming from once and for all, I hope 🙂 thanks for all the help regardless, I see so many people with these issues and seems no one really knows, maybe if I find my answer for my pc I’ll post here so others could see if it’s the same for them.

A transient spike wouldn’t do what you are seeing.  The danger with transient spikes is they can trip an OCP switch and safety shutdown a machine that was otherwise working fine.  Often there is actually an audible slick as the switch trips.  Low voltage or voltage flutter can do weird things though. There are PSU testers which are really just multi channel multimeters with specialized connectors and limitations that simplify them for that job. There’s nothing you can do with a PSU tester you can’t do with a multimeter but it can take a whole lot longer.  The main motherboard cable has 24 pins on it.  A PSU tester can do them all at once but with a multimeter it’s one pin at a time.  Gets old fast if you’ve got 50 machines to check.  If you’ve got a multimeter you can physically test your PSU for voltage.  Iirc it’s 5% of spec on either side.  Voltage flutter needs graphing though which means an oscilloscope.  They’re both hard to read and fearsomely expensive.  Oscilloscope stuff is a major reason people RMA.  The manufacturers have em.  

Hi, 

not much of an help but I have got exactly the same problem! it drives me crazy. I have a newly shop built PC as well, but running RTX 3080 with i7 12700K and 16GB ram.

I got it paired to 3x 32" samsung odyssey G9 monitors (1440p - 240hz), I use it for sim racing.
Whatever I try, why I take a sharp corner, the image looks blurry, its like it drops to 30fps, although GPU spits out 100-120fps, even when I turn down my graphics and let GPU go to 190fps, the problem still persists..

I tried: With or without G sync, V sync on off in game, VRR control, so also without G sync and tried 240, 144, 120hz. FXAA etc etc... No luck. I have the problem in Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Dirt Rally. The only game that looks better is Richard Burns rally, but thats a 2004 game.
This runs in Vulkan (dont know if that makes a difference) 

That could actually be a game feature to simulate g forces on vision or something