which bluetooth adapter to buy?

AeroMagnus
Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,

You shouldn't need anything special, but I would make sure you get at least a BT 5.0 adapter/card, as that's what the AirPods Max use. You can go for 5.2 to give yourself some extra features for devices that support that, but it won't help the AirPods Max. Whether to go with USB adapter or PCIe card is simply a question of whether you want to lose a USB port and have a dongle sticking out or install a card.

Hello, i was wondering if i could use airpods max/pro with any bluetooth adapter or if i should lookout for special version of bluetooth? Cause theres some really cheap ones that are USB and i wonder if thats enough or if i need something thats like say PCIE; my mobo doesnt have wifi or bt 

thanks 

37 minutes ago, AeroMagnus said:

Hello, i was wondering if i could use airpods max/pro with any bluetooth adapter or if i should lookout for special version of bluetooth? Cause theres some really cheap ones that are USB and i wonder if thats enough or if i need something thats like say PCIE; my mobo doesnt have wifi or bt 

thanks 

Bluetooth is cascading backward compatible like USB, but it can affect range.  Bluetooth was designed to be very tiny and very low power so I doubt it matters much.  I do remember someone choosing a particular motherboard at one point because it had better blue tooth but I have no info on the details.  Decent chance you can get away with a USB dongle.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You shouldn't need anything special, but I would make sure you get at least a BT 5.0 adapter/card, as that's what the AirPods Max use. You can go for 5.2 to give yourself some extra features for devices that support that, but it won't help the AirPods Max. Whether to go with USB adapter or PCIe card is simply a question of whether you want to lose a USB port and have a dongle sticking out or install a card.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse