Wiimote Alternative

parinjoy

I know I am a couple of years late on this post, but now that I have lost my Wii remotes but retained the console, I thought if it was possible to restore it by using my phone as a Wiimote. I know that the communication stream used b/w the remotes and console was Bluetooth but Nintendo were pretty strict on the protocol used. Emulating the Bluetooth commands would not have been easy but has it been done by anyone ? It would be a great to have the phone as the controller. I know this has been done for the dolphin emulator but failed to find for the actual console. 

Dolphin can use any PC drivers and controls and emulate a Wii device. Having a phone simulate the signal of a wiimote as you rightly estimate would require understanding and emulating a Wii’s protocol and communication on your phone. Probably not impossible since the wii is well understood by now but it would require someone taking up that project and making it happen, as well as a rooted phone. 

This would mean creating a homebrew app for phones, and then you have the challenge of not all phones being same/equal. It’s a complex task if it is to be widespread. 

Probably far cheeper and very accessible/available to grab a wiimote off of ebay/craigs/fb marketplace/local classifieds. 

The trouble is that not all Bluetooth stacks for different devices are the same. If they had used infrared, it would have much simplified the process. Even if I start working on the project, much would be left for the end user to configure. (Not everyone would have that technical expertise)

1 hour ago, parinjoy said:

The trouble is that not all Bluetooth stacks for different devices are the same. If they had used infrared, it would have much simplified the process. Even if I start working on the project, much would be left for the end user to configure. (Not everyone would have that technical expertise)

Considering they need to detect if they are pointing in any direction and work when completely out of sight of the console/sensor bar, infrared is an odd thing to suggest.  Its barely adequate for a TV remote.  In fact many modern TVs use Bluetooth now for that reason, now they have more advanced apps where having to constantly point at the TV directly and the slow speed (every tried pressing buttons quickly on a remote?  It takes SECONDS to queue up commands) are a PITA and not practical for gaming.

Worth noting, it DOES technically use infrared, its what the sensor bar transmits that the Wiimote sees - and why its so glitchy sometimes as it loses sight very easily.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7