cant clone my drive correctly

pato.llaguno

i have a 250gb ssd, where i have my windows install, i just bought a new nvme 1tb drive.

I cloned the disk with macrium and it cloned jsut fined, booted from it correctly. 

now i have the issue that since my ssd had partitioning from windows in it i cant expand the C: volume.

Is there another software that could actually do it? Windows diskmngmt wont let me expand

image.thumb.png.019d93320f5e0bc5aa9693d032d041dc.png

40 minutes ago, pato.llaguno said:

i have a 250gb ssd, where i have my windows install, i just bought a new nvme 1tb drive.

I cloned the disk with macrium and it cloned jsut fined, booted from it correctly. 

now i have the issue that since my ssd had partitioning from windows in it i cant expand the C: volume.

Is there another software that could actually do it? Windows diskmngmt wont let me expand

image.thumb.png.019d93320f5e0bc5aa9693d032d041dc.png

I’m not a fan of cloning though I do appreciate the potential time savings.  Clean installs are clean. When you clone you clone all the problems too. Windows has a couple types of drive systems perhaps you used the wrong one in at least one instance?

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The problem here is the classic adjacent partition lock caused by that effing 500MB recovery partition. Its a problem with with some installations of Windows....often from Win7 or Server 2008 that's been updated, but not excusive to. Ive lost count at the number of times I've fixed this when doing a physical to virtual migration of production servers for clients.

You can delete the 500MB recovery partition, which will consolidate with the unallocated space and then should allow you to add space to C in diskmgr. Along as that 500MB recovery partition is there though you wont be able to fix this from windows. You need adjacent unallocated space to add space to c:

You lose the flexibility of a recovery mode, which my opinion is next to worthless anyways because macrium allows you to create a USB recovery stick which is infinitely more flexible and powerful. If you're cloning with Macrium you should be backing up with Macrium and hence never need that stupid recovery partition anyways. Duh.

Option 2,: Macrium allows you to resize those partitions during a clone, but its not intuitive about it. You need to manually drag and drop the partitions and not use the disk to disk wizard. This means you will need to clone again.

Option 3: is to install EaseUS or similiar partition tool that can resize the partitions dynamically. I have a technician license for EaseUS and its great for solving this very problem but don't recall if its free anymore for home us.

Frankly I would just use Macriums backup feature from now on and nuke the recovery partition. 

You might get suggestions to fart around with Gparted. Don't. Follow the suggestions I gave you. 

Side rant, but every time windows is backed up or Vmotion in a virtual environment  its making a clone. So, when somebody says they don't advocate cloning windows they are saying don't back up windows or do vmotions. Basically it's a stupid comment.

51 minutes ago, wseaton said:

Option 3: is to install EaseUS or similiar partition tool that can resize the partitions dynamically. I have a technician license for EaseUS and its great for solving this very problem but don't recall if its free anymore for home us.

this is what i am thinking of doing but i just dont want to pay to only use this 1 time and bother myself to get a refund from them.

53 minutes ago, wseaton said:

Option 2,: Macrium allows you to resize those partitions during a clone, but its not intuitive about it. You need to manually drag and drop the partitions and not use the disk to disk wizard. This means you will need to clone again.

sadly i do not see the option to resize during the cloning procces if that true then that would have made my life easy. 

side note: i have already made a post about my problem and this guy has the same problem as me so i was going around to see if someone solved it

1 hour ago, wseaton said:

The problem here is the classic adjacent partition lock caused by that effing 500MB recovery partition. Its a problem with with some installations of Windows....often from Win7 or Server 2008 that's been updated, but not excusive to. Ive lost count at the number of times I've fixed this when doing a physical to virtual migration of production servers for clients.

You can delete the 500MB recovery partition, which will consolidate with the unallocated space and then should allow you to add space to C in diskmgr. Along as that 500MB recovery partition is there though you wont be able to fix this from windows. You need adjacent unallocated space to add space to c:

You lose the flexibility of a recovery mode, which my opinion is next to worthless anyways because macrium allows you to create a USB recovery stick which is infinitely more flexible and powerful. If you're cloning with Macrium you should be backing up with Macrium and hence never need that stupid recovery partition anyways. Duh.

Frankly I would just use Macriums backup feature from now on and nuke the recovery partition. 

You might get suggestions to fart around with Gparted. Don't. Follow the suggestions I gave you. 

Side rant, but every time windows is backed up or Vmotion in a virtual environment  its making a clone. So, when somebody says they don't advocate cloning windows they are saying don't back up windows or do vmotions. Basically it's a stupid comment.

Possible number 4 (might suck) I’m wondering if the cheapest method here is to   Back up the recovery partition, find out how everything is flagged, make a Linux liveCD on a USB key and boot off it, then use that to partition the drive speccing  ntfs, then put what you want on the partitions and flag them.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I SOLVED ITTTTT HUUUURAAAAAAA

give me sometime to document this

this is without deleting the recovery

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1453040-i-messed-up-crucial-p5-plus-500-gb-m2-nvme-cloning-problems/

go to the bottom of my post to see the proof

i will post my solotion in my post so follow that

Edited by saifthearab

2 minutes ago, saifthearab said:

okay it done  click the link

there is my soloution of my original post and hope this helps you

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1453040-i-messed-up-crucial-p5-plus-500-gb-m2-nvme-cloning-problems/

Mitsva points for @saifthearab

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Mitsva points for @saifthearab

what is mitsva points?

and no need to thank me just glad to help someone who could or has been in a similar situtaion

9 minutes ago, saifthearab said:

what is mitsva points?

and no need to thank me just glad to help someone who could or has been in a similar situtaion

A mitsva is a good deed for a random person.  It’s Yiddish.  They are generally done without expectation of thanks.  Picking up trash on someone else’s lawn simply because you were walking by is a mitsva.  English tends to pick up convenient words from various languages if they’re useful.  We just don’t do it in the original script like the Japanese do.  They often wind up tortured as a result. Like Japan, because that’s how some sailor heard it the first time when someone said “nippon”.  Last names from Ellis island, where immigrants were always first processed in earlier days are something of a standing joke.

Edited by Bombastinator

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

A mitsva is a good deed for a random person.  It’s Yiddish.  They are generally done without expectation of thanks.  Picking up trash on someone else’s lawn simply because you were walking by is a mitsva.

aaaah okay thanks for the explanation.

now excusses me i would like to eat food 🙂 good day

3 minutes ago, saifthearab said:

aaaah okay thanks for the explanation.

now excusses me i would like to eat food 🙂 good day

Bon appitite.