Need a new UW 1440p IPS monitor

PopsicleHustler
7 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

So last update 

After almost 6 weeks, they're refunding my old Gigabyte monitor after it was deemed "unrepairable"

My LG monitor has been refunded in full (including shipping costs)

So I'm on a quest for something else now. Thinking Dell Alienware because from what I've read online, they have excellent customer service and monitor warranty 

Customer service can be hit or miss. But that's not just Dell.

In terms of ultrawide, the AW3423DW is the best option on the market if you can stretch the budget a bit.

But i'd recommend the LG C2 42" OLED instead. That one can be bought for 999€ in Germany. In your 1000€ budget it's by far the best option.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Customer service can be hit or miss. But that's not just Dell.

In terms of ultrawide, the AW3423DW is the best option on the market if you can stretch the budget a bit.

But i'd recommend the LG C2 42" OLED instead. That one can be bought for 999€ in Germany. In your 1000€ budget it's by far the best option.

I won't go with OLED panel because of burn in. 

Playing MMORGs or even shooters that have stationary HUD elements for a few hours every day means I will easily get burnt elements on the panel in a matter of months 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I won't go with OLED panel because of burn in. 

Playing MMORGs or even shooters that have stationary HUD elements for a few hours every day means I will easily get burnt elements on the panel in a matter of months 

I'm currently in the process of finding out about this. Had my unit for 2 months now and i mostly player terraria and cyberpunk so far. (both are games with bright and colorful HUD, so worst case in terms of gaming) No issues so far.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I'm currently in the process of finding out about this. Had my unit for 2 months now and i mostly player terraria and cyberpunk so far. (both are games with bright and colorful HUD, so worst case in terms of gaming) No issues so far.

Do you play much?

I've seen horror stories about OLEDS developing burn ins in a few months. Even Linus did a video about his LG Oled that developed a burn in

EDIT: I've checked delivery dates for Alienware OLED and earliest I can get it is early-mid December which isn't acceptable in my case.

As for LG C2 it's simply too big. Even 38inch UW is cutting it a little over comfortable zone for me as I have to sit further from my desk. Putting a 42 inch TV would mean I have to either wall mount it and bring my desk a little further from the wall, or get a deeper desk.

Another downside of the C2 is even more pixels to drive. 4k at 100+ is a struggle even for my 3080, although I plan on upgrading next year to something even more powerful. But still, 4k is no joke to run at high FPS

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

4 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Do you play much?

I've seen horror stories about OLEDS developing burn ins in a few months. Even Linus did a video about his LG Oled that developed a burn in

EDIT: I've checked delivery dates for Alienware OLED and earliest I can get it is early-mid December which isn't acceptable in my case.

As for LG C2 it's simply too big. Even 38inch UW is cutting it a little over comfortable zone for me as I have to sit further from my desk. Putting a 42 inch TV would mean I have to either wall mount it and bring my desk a little further from the wall, or get a deeper desk.

Another downside of the C2 is even more pixels to drive. 4k at 100+ is a struggle even for my 3080, although I plan on upgrading next year to something even more powerful. But still, 4k is no joke to run at high FPS

I have C1 and B9 OLED TVs and both have no sign of burn-in so far. I think people are worried too much as OLED is best suited for mixed contents. That being said people should still take some amount of care to prevent potential burn-in over long term usage like hiding desktop icons, taskbars etc. My friend with CX has no burn-in but developed some dead pixels on the side, yeah don't forget other issues may arise too not just burn-in. 

I have similar problem as yours. Combined with old school desk and using surround speakers, I'm currently limited to 27 inch monitor or 34 inch ultrawide unless I upgrade my desk completely. But I also prefer having my OLED TV on TV unit as I can sit back & relax for casual gaming and watching contents. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

5 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Do you play much?

I use it around 6 months each day. I'd say 60% gaming / 30% content consumption / 10% general desktop use.

Worth to note that Linus is a worst-case scenario for OLED. He's displaying the same apps 8+ hours a day. If your use case is mixed then burn-in risk is very small. My C9 is 2.5 years old by now (mostly used for movies, sometimes for gaming) and there is no sign of burn-in yet. This long-ish term experience convinced me that burn-in shouldn't be a problem for my use case.

Yeah i hoped it would be better by now. Sad to hear they're still multiple months behind orders.

The 42" C2 is only 6cm wider than the 38" ultrawide. If you can fit the ultrawide, you can almost certainly fit the TV. I would recommend a wall mount either way. I use a 60cm deep desk and it's more than deep enough with the C2 wall mounted imo. You just lose so much desk space when having a monitor stand on your desk, even with the 38" ultrawide.

My 3080 handles the 4K 120Hz well enough. Every game i played so far runs well beyond 60 fps on ultra settings, some need to be toned down to high (which makes next to no difference either way). But most games i play run well beyond 100 fps. Some games like Cyberpunk need DLSS on quality to go over 60 fps on high settings, but that's really a worst case type scenario again. The 3080 is easily capable of driving a 4K display.

The only game i've encountered so far that has performance issues is my heavily modded Skyrim install (700+ mods). And Skyrim seems to have poorer than average scaling for 4K. Since it doesn't have DLSS i just use the lossless scaling app, run my game at 2954x1662 (render resolution equal to FSR "ultra quality" preset) and let FSR do the upscaling to 4K. I really have to pixel peep to notice the difference compared to native 4K, just like it is with DLSS on quality in supported games.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 9:01 PM, Stahlmann said:

I use it around 6 months each day. I'd say 60% gaming / 30% content consumption / 10% general desktop use.

Worth to note that Linus is a worst-case scenario for OLED. He's displaying the same apps 8+ hours a day. If your use case is mixed then burn-in risk is very small. My C9 is 2.5 years old by now (mostly used for movies, sometimes for gaming) and there is no sign of burn-in yet. This long-ish term experience convinced me that burn-in shouldn't be a problem for my use case.

Yeah i hoped it would be better by now. Sad to hear they're still multiple months behind orders.

The 42" C2 is only 6cm wider than the 38" ultrawide. If you can fit the ultrawide, you can almost certainly fit the TV. I would recommend a wall mount either way. I use a 60cm deep desk and it's more than deep enough with the C2 wall mounted imo. You just lose so much desk space when having a monitor stand on your desk, even with the 38" ultrawide.

My 3080 handles the 4K 120Hz well enough. Every game i played so far runs well beyond 60 fps on ultra settings, some need to be toned down to high (which makes next to no difference either way). But most games i play run well beyond 100 fps. Some games like Cyberpunk need DLSS on quality to go over 60 fps on high settings, but that's really a worst case type scenario again. The 3080 is easily capable of driving a 4K display.

The only game i've encountered so far that has performance issues is my heavily modded Skyrim install (700+ mods). And Skyrim seems to have poorer than average scaling for 4K. Since it doesn't have DLSS i just use the lossless scaling app, run my game at 2954x1662 (render resolution equal to FSR "ultra quality" preset) and let FSR do the upscaling to 4K. I really have to pixel peep to notice the difference compared to native 4K, just like it is with DLSS on quality in supported games.

So I ended up ordering same LG 38GN950 monitor. So far no issues. Almost non existing bleed, good uniformity. Everything works as it should. Color calibration is great out of the box. Kinda expect it from LG to be this way.

Pray to PCMR Gods for me this time xD

20221026_144351.jpg

1 hour ago, PopsicleHustler said:

So I ended up ordering same LG 38GN950 monitor. So far no issues. Almost non existing bleed, good uniformity. Everything works as it should. Color calibration is great out of the box. Kinda expect it from LG to be this way.

Pray to PCMR Gods for me this time xD

20221026_144351.jpg

Glad you're happy with your purchase. I hope it stays that way 😉

• 3 weeks later...

@Stahlmann @BuzzingBee Continuing my saga - This monitor also developed a fault. This time a different kind - DP port died it seems.

I can get into Bios on 800 x 600 (or even lower I think) resolution, but as soon as PC boots past motherboard logo, I get no signal.

HDMI works totally fine, but its limited to 75Hz.

Tried different DP and HDMI cables. Same story with every cable 

I think I will sell everything and get  laptop 😄

1 hour ago, PopsicleHustler said:

@Stahlmann @BuzzingBee Continuing my saga - This monitor also developed a fault. This time a different kind - DP port died it seems.

I can get into Bios on 800 x 600 (or even lower I think) resolution, but as soon as PC boots past motherboard logo, I get no signal.

HDMI works totally fine, but its limited to 75Hz.

Tried different DP and HDMI cables. Same story with every cable 

I think I will sell everything and get  laptop 😄

Just to be sure it's not the GPU port that is at fault right? 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

1 minute ago, BuzzingBee said:

Just to be sure it's not the GPU port that is at fault right? 

Yes, I tried a different GPU and even a different PC (Had my brother bring me his rig). 

Turned out Lg ultragear monitors have this issue where they have to be "manually" reset by unplugging them and doing factory settings reset. 

After that monitor is working as if nothing happened....

4 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Yes, I tried a different GPU and even a different PC (Had my brother bring me his rig). 

Turned out Lg ultragear monitors have this issue where they have to be "manually" reset by unplugging them and doing factory settings reset. 

After that monitor is working as if nothing happened....

Oh cool that did the trick, i thought you would be cursed forever...