Unwanted WoL (How to figure out what wakes the pc)

JeyTee84

I need to use WoL so that i can remote into the pc whenever I want but also want it to be able to sleep to save power when im not using it.

The problem is that something does not let the pc sleep. Even when i manually set it to sleep it wakes up almost instantly.

Tried to unplug everything USB but those do not seem to cause the problem.

Also tried the System Power Report, but it wasnt much of a help.

Tried System Sleep Diagnostics, In the power requests part i've seen some exes in red and yellow tried to disable those with

powercfg /requestsoverride process [something].exe execution

Did that with RuntimeBroker, chrome, spotify, svchost, MoUsoCoreWorker, but none of them solved the problem.

Shoould these work and am I just doing something wrong or should I look elsewhere.

What would be great is to find some diagnostic software that shows what programs are allowed to WoL the pc.
(Tried WinSleep but it still didnt help)

Any help and tips are much appreciated in advance.

So just to be clear, when the LAN-cable is unplugged, it stays asleep? If so, you might try to see what device is sending magic packets with WireShark using a different device.

Exactly, if i put it to sleep, and unplug the LAN, it stays asleep, turns on immediatelly when i plug it in again. I've already experimented with wireshark, do you think you could point me to some tutorial on checking magic packets with wireshark?

4 hours ago, JeyTee84 said:

Exactly, if i put it to sleep, and unplug the LAN, it stays asleep, turns on immediatelly when i plug it in again. I've already experimented with wireshark, do you think you could point me to some tutorial on checking magic packets with wireshark?

You might want to quote them with the button below the post, so they get notified of your reply.

Anyways, after some stupid python socket programming and then miserably failing only to see many other people online have already accomplished what I'm trying to but with success instead of failure, I found this application, which should help you listen for any magic packets.

https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-monitor

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

On 9/2/2022 at 6:18 PM, RockSolid1106 said:

You might want to quote them with the button below the post, so they get notified of your reply.

Anyways, after some stupid python socket programming and then miserably failing only to see many other people online have already accomplished what I'm trying to but with success instead of failure, I found this application, which should help you listen for any magic packets.

https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-monitor

thanks for the quote tip, and also the darkmode tip (damn)

First off thanks a lot for trying! As for the WoL monitor... how do i use it? I'm running on another pc on the network, started it, but nothing. do I have to change the UDP port or something?

On 9/2/2022 at 1:12 PM, Mojo-Jojo said:

So just to be clear, when the LAN-cable is unplugged, it stays asleep? If so, you might try to see what device is sending magic packets with WireShark using a different device.

On 9/2/2022 at 1:25 PM, JeyTee84 said:

I've been playing around with wireshark but cannot seem to record anything realted to WoL

9 hours ago, JeyTee84 said:

how do i use it? I'm running on another pc on the network, started it, but nothing. do I have to change the UDP port or something?

Run it on the PC that's having the issue. As for the port, WoL uses UDP port 9 so the default(9) should show traffic if it receives a magic packet.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide